Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#203580 06/08/05 10:50 AM
Kaethel Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
You'd think I'd stop having computer problems. In fact, you'd think I'd stop using computers altogether so I would stop having problems.

I got that new MP3 player that took me a while to choose. And I've been trying to connect it. And at first, it kept trying to download the drivers from the internet (it didn't seem to work, though). Then I used the installation CD that came with it (even though the user manual said I didn't need to). It didn't launch automatically, so I installed whatever in there could be installed. And now it doesn't even see there's new hardware! When I connect it through the USB port, nothing happens. Then the player turns itself off.

I've been struggling with it for an hour without any success, and I'm close to explosion. Any suggestions? Help? Please?

Kaethel

- I'm your partner. I'm your friend.
- Is that what we are?
- Oh, you know what? I don't know what we are. We kiss and then we never talk about it. We nearly die frozen in each other's arms, but we never talk about it, so no, I got no clue what we are.

~ Rick Castle and Kate Beckett ~ Knockout ~
#203581 06/08/05 11:12 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Here is one thing that it might be.

I recently got a new digital camera and lo-and-behold, when I plugged it into my computer, it failed to recognize it.

I later found out that some electronic devices 'prefer' a earlier drive mapping. I had my d,e,f & g drives all mapped to other things. When I cleared out the e drive, bling my camera showed up.

Go figure huh

James

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
#203582 06/08/05 11:24 AM
RL Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Did you check the hardware device manager list? It's quite likely there's a big 'ole X over the icon representing your music player under the USB controllers section. If that's the case, delete the device and then right click on the category to Scan for Hardware Changes.

If that fails with the device returning still with an X, try right clicking on the device and select upgrade driver. Or if it doesn't reappear, unplug your music player and plug it back in. It should return then.

Have the CD with the drivers in your CD-ROM drive if possible.

-- Roger

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." -- Benjamin Franklin
#203583 06/08/05 11:28 AM
A
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A
It's not an iPod is it?

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.
#203584 06/08/05 11:33 AM
Kaethel Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Not an iPod, Aria. And Roger, I went to the device manager to check it out, and found something there about "portable audio devices", where it let me install the correct drivers for it. So much for plug and play!! Anyway, it's now connected. smile Thanks for the help, guys! The iRiver will live and not be thrown out the window, thanks to you.

Kaethel smile

- Is that what we are?
- Oh, you know what? I don't know what we are. We kiss and then we never talk about it. We nearly die frozen in each other's arms, but we never talk about it, so no, I got no clue what we are.

#203585 06/08/05 11:38 AM
A
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A
clap

Glad you got it working smile

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.
#203586 06/08/05 11:43 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
EDIT: Oops. Spent 15 minutes or so researching the problem at iRiver's website (their automated support tool, "Ask iRiver," was been very helpful for me when I was buying an H320 for my sister -- a choice which was influenced by Kae's thread), and came back to find that the problem had been solved in the meantime. So... never mind.

Congrats, Kae! Glad to hear it's working. smile

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
#203587 06/08/05 12:03 PM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Yay! And, of course, this means you can dl lots of new songs...and attach them to LNC clips. Right?

LabRat (not quite sure what an mp3 player actually does, but sure it's something to do with music...)

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#203588 06/08/05 01:15 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Imagine a Walkman, Rat, but with 40gb hard drive and which can connect to your PC like an external hard drive. Lots of music! goofy

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
#203589 06/08/05 02:10 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Oh, a Walkman! Well, why don't they just say so. goofy <mutters>new-fangled technospeak babble </mutter>

So...LOTS of music, huh? /me looks pointedly in Kae's direction.../me taps her foot impatiently.../me refreshes the forum and doesn't see any new Kae videos.../me looks pointedly at Kae for a second time...

...I can keep this up a long time, you know...

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#203590 06/09/05 10:42 AM
Kaethel Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
LOL Rat! Hmm... there seems to be a hidden message in your post. Wonder what that is. huh wink

Kaethel laugh

- Is that what we are?

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard