Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Kaethel Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
I intend to get a MP3 player within the next few weeks, but there are so many on the market that I'm not really sure what to go for, so I thought I'd ask you guys, as I imagine some of you must know what to get and, maybe more importantly, what *not* to get.

I'd like something rather compact and light, with a large storing capacity (minimum 10 Gb - okay, okay, 5 Gb would do laugh ), could store MP3 as well as various (Microsoft) computer data, and with something like a 24 hour battery. A radio tuner included would be even better.

One techie question, actually: can you program a set of songs on an MP3 player and set that program to repeat itself, like you do in any portable CD player?

Also, I know some MP3 players can be adapted into car tape-players, such as the I-River, but my car only has a CD player and no tape slot - is there any MP3 player that could play with that system?

As far as price is concerned, I've set my upper limit at 300 euro (around US$350, I believe?). Can I expect to get something good for this price?

So, um... help? Please? laugh

Kaethel smile

- I'm your partner. I'm your friend.
- Is that what we are?
- Oh, you know what? I don't know what we are. We kiss and then we never talk about it. We nearly die frozen in each other's arms, but we never talk about it, so no, I got no clue what we are.

~ Rick Castle and Kate Beckett ~ Knockout ~
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Kaethel,
As you might know I'm going to recommend the Apple product:
iPod . smile

I'm not sure it's everything you're looking for but I think it should be OK for data storage (even microsoft data wink ) and I know that it works with Windows OS.

Whetever you end up with I hope you'll enjoy it for a long time.

Avia

"I get it, you're a ghost. You're dead. Big accomplishment, move on. You see a light anywhere? Go towards it okay?"

Cordelia in 'Rm w/a Vu' - Angel episode 1x05
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well, other than the fact that I don't know a way that it would work with your car, Kae (but then, that's what a CD burner is for wink ), I can't recommend better than the i-River IHP-140. It does everything you ask for. It's lightweight, easy to transport, has a fairly long battery life - 16 hours of playing time without needing to be recharged - and has a radio tuner and recording facility as well as being an MP3 player.

We love ours.

Edit: if your car stereo has an AUX (auxiliary) port or plug, you can play the i-River through it, my techie advisor says. wink

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Kaethel Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
That's probably what I would have got, Wendy (price limit notwithstanding), but it's not available any more. :p I'm actually looking for something similar to that one.

Avia, I checked out the I-Pod, and it looks pretty good, though the battery wouldn't get me all the way from France to Canada laugh and the price is (again) slightly above my limit.

Also, if I could get something smaller than the IRiver and the I-pod, it'd be even better.

Though I get the feeling that I might have to revise either what I want or how much I'm prepared to pay for it. :p

Any other advice/recommendation is very welcome!

Kaethel smile

- Is that what we are?
- Oh, you know what? I don't know what we are. We kiss and then we never talk about it. We nearly die frozen in each other's arms, but we never talk about it, so no, I got no clue what we are.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well, I got a super-cheap discontinued 64meg display model a couple years back, so I can't really help you with personal experience. wink I can, however, suggest a couple of good websites.

Try going here. That's the epinions listing for MP3 players with at least 1 gig of storage capacity. From that page, you can further narrow it down by choosing a weight range (unfortunately, that's in ounces), a price range, or a manufacturer. Epinions offers product information along with reviews from fellow consumers.

You can also try cnet 's professional reviews of mp3 players for more information.

As for battery power, some MP3 players use standard size batteries (AA or AAA), so you have the option of finding cheap spares. You can get rechargable batteries, regular batteries, or both. If you're looking for long usage time, that's probably your best option. Get the rechargables for regular use, but take some extra non-rechargables along for those long trips.

Hope this helps. smile

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
K
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
K
I'd just second Wendy's recommendation of iRivers. I don't have one with nearly so large a hard drive (too much money!), but I've had absolutely no trouble with my smaller model. And mine runs on regular (or rechargeable) AA batteries, which means its always easy to pick up new ones if I run out.

As for adapting it to work in your car, unless you can plug it into an auxiliary slot as Wendy says, there isn't any way to run your player through a CD stereo system. You can't plug it into the CD player itself the way you would a tape player. THe only option I can think of is to get one of those small radio transmitters. You plug them into your mp3 player and it transmits the sound on a radio frequency. Then you just tune your car radio to that frequency. I don't have any experience with these, though, so I can't tell you how well they work.

Kaylle

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Oh, I'd definitely recommend any iPod, there are various ones in the same price-range of Wendy's mentioned iRiver. I haven't used that iRiver myself but a colleague at work seems very satisfied with it.

Personally, I use the iPod Photo in the 30gb variation with the Flashcard-Addon. This way my digital camera never runs out of storage space wink The Apple software should probably get a honorable mention too, my previous mp3-player was some cheap thing with even worse software, I was pretty dissatisfied.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Back again, Kae - the IHP-100 series has been superseded, I see. There are 20GB and 40GB versions in the new range - given the price of the 40GB, the 20 is probably better for you to look at. The new iRiver is the H320 Lite 20GB MP3 Player with Tuner

Here's the Amazon.co.uk product page and reviews .

There is also a very positive review in PC Pro magazine - that's a highly reputable UK computer magazine which John used to get every month - you'll have seen it lying around the house. wink

Incidentally, the page from the PC Pro website has links to all of its Labs reviews of MP3 players of similar type to the iRiver, so you can look at those and compare. You'll have to register to view more than one page, though. frown

Good luck!

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
I really recommend the Creative line -- that's the company that made soundblaster cards for your desktops. They are technically first rate though not as good at marketing as Apple -- hence also a bit cheaper. The MUVO comes with an FM radio, it's really small and light and you can get it with various sizes of memory.
It ROCKS

Allie

Top Banana
Top Banana
Kae, I got Ken an ipod for Christmas and I swear, the man hasn't taken the earphones out of his ears since December! Really, he just loves it. It's very small (fits in a pocket and the ipod mini is even smaller), it stores up to 20 GB/5,000 songs, and his battery often lasts up to 10 hours.

It doesn't have the FM tuner, which he does wish for on occasion. But it offers a gazillion different ways to play the music back (playlists, top songs played, songs purchased, genre, random/party mix, etc.) And itunes is a real easy way to get songs straight from the internet.

There's my customer satisfaction report. wink

Lynn

You know that boy'd walk on water for you? Or he'd drown tryin'. -Perry White to Lois in Just Say Noah
K
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
K
I don't know too much about mp3 players, but thought I'd throw in my two cents. My sister has an iPod, which she dearly loves. I fiddled around with it once or twice... I think it'd take a little bit to get used to how to navigate through the songs. *shrug*

Anyway, the main reason I'm bothering to post is that my sister bought an adapter of some sort that she plugs into the iPod and it allows her to play her songs through a radio station in her car. I imagine most other mp3 players would have this accessory as well. So, as long as your car has a radio with that CD player, you should be okay. smile

Sara

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I'll add to the list recommending ipods . I love my ipod, I use it pretty much everyday. If I ever need to listen to the radio I just use my mobile, I carry that with me everywhere I go anyway so it's not like it's something extra to carry.

Avatar: Michael Clarke, awesome Aussie cricket player
Kaethel Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Thanks for all your recommendations, guys. I spent the last couple of hours exploring the websites you sent me to (yes, Wendy, I remember PC Pro, and I registered to see their lab tests), and I realised that I'm gonna have to compromise. :p

Ideally, I'd like the size, weight, robustness and battery life of a flash player, combined with the features and storage capacity of a hard drive player. Since that's not going to happen, I have to revise my demands. :p

I checked I-pods, and they looked really good... until I read several (many, even) reviews saying they were not compatible with WMA, and considering 90% of my MP3s are WMA files, it'd be a pain to re-rip everything from scratch.

The Iriver IHP 320 seems really, really good as far as features are concerned, but it's a bit bulkier than what I'm looking for, especially as I want to use my MP3 player to commute to and from work as well as go on long journey. So I'd really like something that fit in my jeans pocket. It's still one of my likeliest choices if I can't get a flash player that has the same kind of features.

I've looked into flash players, and Creative Line and Cowon seem to have some large capacity ones (Cowon even goes up to 2 Gb, which is the biggest capacity for a flash player), but many review sites explain that hard drive players are really, really much better in the long run. razz

In fact, I'd found *the* perfect flash player: the Iriver ifp 999 looked like the best compromise, PC Pro is raving about it, and there are a huge majority of excellent reviews on Cnet. But then I found several really, really negative reviews explaining that the player skips when playing WMA files and that it doesn't work as a USB mass storage (which totally contradicts what PC Pro is saying - talk about confusing!)

Microdrives seem to be a good compromise, so I have to look into that.

Thanks again for all your help!

Kaethel smile

- Is that what we are?

Kaethel Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Okay, here's my revised spec. laugh

Must-haves:
- a feature that allows me to create and modify playlists *from the player* (without having to hook into a computer) and repeat them indefinitely.
- an easy and fast transfer to and from a Windows XP computer.
- no skipping sound when listening to certain types of file.
- a 1 Gig minimum storage capacity
- a radio tuner (with possibility to save favourite stations)
- a more than 15 hours battery that works interchangeably with AA or rechargeable battery, and possibility to recharge *without* having a laptop around.
- Small, light and robust.

Would really rather it had (but would be ready to compromise):
- WMA Compatibility.
- Possibility to play in a car in the way Kaylle mentioned.
- A 10 Gig storage capacity with possibility to download pictures from my digital camera when I have no computer around.

Not really necessary:
- direct USB plug (if it needs a USB cable, I'm not too bothered)
- Radio and voice recorder (I wouldn't use that kind of feature)
- Direct recording from a CD player (again, not a feature I'd use)

Finally, and since websites make such a fuss about the look of MP3 players, let me state that I really don't care whether it's red, blue, black or yellow with purple polka dots. laugh

Kaethel smile

- Is that what we are?

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Hey Kaethel.

I don't know if you encoded these wma-files by yourself or if you bought them online. In case they're 'open', which means unprotected, the iTunes software offers a possibility to import WMA files and reencode them into AAC, which is directly supported by the iPod.

Kaethel Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Half of them were encoded by me. The rest was not really bought, but more like downloaded for free laugh from WinMX. Does that mean I need a DRM compatibility?

Also, a really important question comes to mind: are there players that can be recharged through a power socket without requiring a computer? That's rather important for the use I want to make.

Kaethel smile

- Is that what we are?

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Yep, I use some sort of power adapter with my iPod. But it's an addon, so add about 30 euro/us-d to the total costs.

edit: I know that there is also something for the car cigarette lighter and an additionary battery pack to use with customary batteries. Those are also addons because I don't have them wink

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Again, I can only answer about iRivers, Kae - but they come with a power cord and you can also buy an adapter so that you can charge them through your car's cigarette lighter.

I don't know if the IHP320 is any bigger than the IHP140, but I don't consider that bulky at all. With the case which comes with it, you can hook it onto a belt or back pocket; easy to walk around wearing it, then. wink

Since you can't get precisely everything you want, you do need to think about what's most important. Is size/weight really more important than storage space? Some of those flash players really have very little space - you'd soon run out of room for all your favourites, I'd guess. frown

You asked about setting a track to repeat indefinitely - again, I don't know about the IHP320, but you could certainly listen to 'My Immortal' 20,000 times on the IHP140 if you wanted to! goofy I think, actually, that apart from its size the IHP320 meets all your specifications. However, you have to decide lack of whether bulk is sufficiently important.

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Kaethel Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
you could certainly listen to 'My Immortal' 20,000 times on the IHP140 if you wanted to!
That certainly weighs in the balance. goofy

And you know me too well. wink

Kaethel smile (ready to beat the 11 hours record laugh )

- Is that what we are?

K
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
K
Since I'm trying not to study for my exam on Tuesday (because it's hopeless and I'm trying not to think about it <g>) I went looking at players. I didn't find anything that someone else ahsn't already said, but I did find some of the radio transmitters I mentioned. They vary by price and probably quality, if Amazon's reviews are to be believed wink , but almost all of them can be plugged into a standard headphone jack. So basically, anything you can plug headphones into can be used with a radio transmitter.

You can see a bunch of them at Amazon .

Good luck making a decision!
Kaylle

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard