Print Thread
#203014 04/30/05 09:12 AM
E
EmilyH Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
E
I'll try not to spoil it for those who haven't read the books.

I went and saw the Hitchhiker's Guide movie with my Star Trek club today. I really enjoyed it. I think they do cut out a few things, but mostly details and excerpts from the Guide -- stuff like that.

The ending leads one to believe that they will make a "Restaurant at the End of the Universe" movie as well.

It's fairly true to the books, with maybe one or two exceptions (for example, Zaphod's heads).

But it was enjoyable, overall. If you are a Guide fan, or a science fiction fan, you will probably like it.

I believe there's a hero in all of us that keeps us honest, gives us strength, makes us noble, and finally allows us to die with pride, even though sometimes we have to be steady and give up the thing we want the most. Even our dreams. -- Aunt May, Spider-Man 2
#203015 04/30/05 12:16 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I saw it last night...It was hilarious. I didn't know what to expect, having never have read the book. I thought it was very well done. The author wrote the screenplay and was one of the producers, so I am not surprised that it was close to the book.

I definitely recomend it.

-Breanna

#203016 04/30/05 09:36 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I haven't seen it -- nor am I likely to any time soon, given how close I live to the nearest cinema! However, I have read the books, listened to the radio series, watched the TV series... I've even seen previews on TV. Suffice to say, I've been taking an -- albeit casual -- interest.

So, can you explain something to me:
The author wrote the screenplay and was one of the producers, so I am not surprised that it was close to the book.
See, thing is, isn't Douglas Adams dead?

How did he come to write the screenplay for the film? (Actually, I think I can understand this one. When I've caught odd snippets on TV, the lines have sounded very familiar.) How did he produce it? Has it really been in the making for the last four years? (He died in May 2001.)

Anyway, this curious mind wants to know.

This curious mind also would like to know what Emily means by her veiled hints about Zaphod's heads.

To digress briefly: one of my greatest memories of schooldays involves the Hitchhiker's Guide. I was in my third year of secondary school when the TV series hit our screens. And it became must see viewing amongst my peer group. One of our number -- not me! -- was particularly obsessed, decorating her rough book with slogans such as, "I write Vogon poetry!"

Best of all, though, were the chants in the corridor as we waited for the teacher to let us into the physics lab. Almost the whole class would join in with: "Hey, you sass that hoopy Ford Prefect? There's a frood who really knows where is towel is!"

See. Lasting impression. Over half a life time ago, and I remember that more vividly than any of the poems or Shakespeare we had to learn in English.

What?

Sad?

Me?

No! smile

Chris (who might have to listen to her BBC audio tapes just for old times sake...)

#203017 04/30/05 10:19 PM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
See, thing is, isn't Douglas Adams dead?

How did he come to write the screenplay for the film? (Actually, I think I can understand this one. When I've caught odd snippets on TV, the lines have sounded very familiar.) How did he produce it? Has it really been in the making for the last four years? (He died in May 2001.)
The film project was one of those long...long...long...term projects which Adams and others had been trying to get off the ground for years. Long beyond the four years between his death and now, I think. He'd written more than one script, I believe and this was the last draft he completed a year before he died. I think I'm right in saying as a project it had been on the go since the '80's, on and off. But, sadly, it hasn't been till now that it finally got off the ground. It's not entirely the script Adams left though - it was reworked and rewritten by a staff writer for the movie.

I think what Emily means re Zaphod's heads is that they only gave him one. At least, I haven't been paying that much attention to this movie, but the other day I caught a short clip and knew something didn't look right - wasn't till I read this thread that I realised Zaphod only had one head. (If it was Zaphod I was looking at - there was some confusion in my mind <g>)

For me though, the greatest sacrilege is the portrayal of Marvin - at least, I think that round blob I saw on the clip was Marvin. <shudder> EDIT: Okay, I had to check that out, found the official movie website and OMG - Marvin, what have they done to you? Yowsa.

I adored the books, loved the TV adaptation, but my interest has waned over the years, hence my not much interest. It does have fond memories for me, too, though. When I met my husband for the first time at a club, we got talking about the radio version (don't ask me how! No idea how that one came up) and that was the very first connection we made. Stuart isn't a huge SF fan, but it was enough to keep us interested till the next stage. wink

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#203018 05/01/05 07:33 AM
E
EmilyH Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
E
I think what Emily means re Zaphod's heads is that they only gave him one.
Well, he does have two heads, but the second is underneath the first, as opposed to just being next to it, like it was in the books. IIRC, he put a birdcage and a towel over it at the party where he met Trillian and pretended it was a parrot.

I believe there's a hero in all of us that keeps us honest, gives us strength, makes us noble, and finally allows us to die with pride, even though sometimes we have to be steady and give up the thing we want the most. Even our dreams. -- Aunt May, Spider-Man 2
#203019 05/01/05 11:13 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Okay, I had to check that out, found the official movie website and OMG - Marvin, what have they done to you? Yowsa.
That's Marvin? I'm appalled. Poor guy.

Chris (trying to picture the positions of Zaphod's heads and remember the bit about the parrot.)

#203020 05/01/05 08:17 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
I haven't seen it yet. But the reviews from friends have been mixed -- and more negative than positive. frown

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
#203021 05/02/05 12:27 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
That's Marvin? I'm appalled. Poor guy.
Ah well. The Hollywood makeover probably gives him one more thing to be depressed about... Silver lining... wink

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#203022 05/02/05 05:48 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Library computer...sigh

Anyway as far as Douglas Adams being dead, if you read the Salmon of Doubt, there is an excerpt in there that shows how desperate he was to get a hold of the Disney execs to get this movie made where he leaves an extensive list of numbers including his next door neighbors and the nearest grocers where he might be reached, his thoughts being if the execs REALLY weren't interested they couldn't use the excuse "sorry, but we couldn't get a hold of you"

I was kind of bummed by the movie. I liked it, don't get me wrong, and I thought Marvin was great, especially the guy they chose as the voice, but the storyline didn't sync well for me. Would have liked to delved more into the "cup of tea" situation. "Share and enjoy" totally missed that.

TEEEEEEJ

#203023 05/02/05 09:46 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
I just got back from the movie, and hopped on here since I was avoiding the thread. I'm still giggling, and CAN'T GET THAT SONG OUT OF MY HEAD! I need the mp3 of it. Seriously. I've already got the video on my desktop...

I was fine with Marvin. I've only seen a few episodes of the tv show, watched at work while in between calls on a holiday, so don't remember much of it. However, Alan Rickman as Marvin's voice? Genius. He has that depressing voice down pat.

I was a lil irked with Zaphod's heads, but I guess it would have been too hard to do (not really with CGI these days, but I'll take it as an excuse).

I liked it. The hubby thought it was strange. So strange that he kept repeating it afterwards. "That was strange." He did like it, though. I told him that the really strange stuff came straight out of the book. *giggle*

So long and thanks for all the fish. So sad that it should come to this.. ARGH!!! *beats head on desk*

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
#203024 05/02/05 10:10 AM
Features Writer
Features Writer
There's a video?

Hey, Karen, where did you get the video? I saw the movie yesterday and can't take the song out of my head the whole day.

I LOVED it (although I never read the book(s) and just last week saw the first and second episodes of the British series on KERA)

malu

"So long and thanks for all the fish..." laugh

EDIT: Found a sing-a-long on the movie website:
Hitchhiker\'s Guide Movie
Go to "Games" and then "Dolphin Sing-A-Long"
laugh

#203025 05/02/05 12:19 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
I found the movie at http://www.comingsoon.net/films.php?id=4680 . Scroll down until you find Clip 4 - 'Complete Dolphin Opening "Thanks for the Fish Song"'. Below that is the video that Zaphod used during the election. laugh

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
#203026 05/02/05 01:22 PM
Features Writer
Features Writer
Thanks a lot, Karen! goofy

Now I need to install QuickTime to watch the other videos. wink

malu

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard