Next Thread
Print Thread
T
Tank Offline OP
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
T
I was recently introduced to a comic book series that has existed for some time called Fables. I never got interested in the book as a monthly, but was pointed to it through the collected trade paperbacks that now exist.

There have been five collected books on the series so far and I have devoured them one after the other over the last few weeks. I'm only sorry that I've now caught up and have to wait for the next collection to come out.

Fables is the unusual and fun idea of using the characters from children's fairy tales and fables and put them in modren settings. The characters from our childhood readings have been driven from their original homelands by a shadowy conqueror known only as the Adversary. The Fables (as they refer to themselves) have been forced to live in a sort of underground community that coexists with 'the mundys' (mundane normal humans)in the city of New York.

As the series opens we are in current day New York City even though the Fables have lived there for many decades. Old King Cole is the mayor and Snow White is his no nonsense deputy mayor. As story lines progress we are introduced to many characters as the Fables deal with living in the real world,(sort of).

From murder mysteries to armed insurrection, the stories are fun and interesting. From seeing the appointed sherriff Bigby Wolf (as in Big Bad...)investigate, to seeing Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, and Cinderella having lunch and comparing notes on their mutual ex, Prince Charming, the stories are both compelling and entertaining.

If light, fantastical fare is your bag, I can't recomend this series enough.

Tank (who would also recommends reading this in the collected trades since you get whole storylines that way and once you start you aren't going to want to stop and wait a month for the next installment)

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Lol. I love Fantasy, but I do NOT like comics . . . give me thick books like the Riddle-master trilogy or (the best) the Lord of the Rings trilogy any day . . . laugh

Don't point. You make holes in the air and the faeries escape.
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If they don't carry it at Shinder's, is it at The Source?

TJ

T
Tank Offline OP
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
T
I would assume that Shinders would have them, but I do know that the Source does because that's where I got mine.

Book One is titled: "Legends in Exile", book two; "Animal Farm", book three; "Storybook Love", book four; "The March of the Wooden Soldiers", book five; "The Mean Seasons".

I put this recommendation on these boards because I could see people who like Lois and Clark might just get a kick out of these stories. They are not kiddy fare. The books are for mature readers. (Cinderella and Goldilocks are quite the potty mouths).

There is even an undercurrent of romance going through the books, but I won't spoil it for anyone.

Tank (who is looking forward to book six, but rather impatiently)

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard