Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#202978 05/01/05 07:13 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Interesting post!! wink

When I first came online as a FoLC in late '94/early '95, I had a hard time picking a nickname. So I resorted to something simple. "Super" for obvious reasons, to pay tribute to my lifelong fascination with everything Superman and "GEM" because those are my initials. No big story there LOL. I've stuck with it ever since. laugh

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." Chris Reeve

"Whatever comes our way, whatever battle we have raging inside us, we always have a choice. It's the choices that make us who we are, and we can always choose to do what's right." Peter Parker

DON'T DOUBT THE ROUTH
#202979 05/02/05 07:47 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Oh boy, I really took a break from forums. I think two weeks? Wow . . . Anyhew, on this topic, I put the name Doranwen together myself. I had tried a variety of names, most of them Celtic-based (Cornish names are lovely). I'd tried Elestren for a while, but then that e-mail account started charging, so . . . and somewhere around the same time, or maybe before, I decided to get a Yahoo account, and had to come up with something I would always remember, and would be easy to work with. And I put together my name. I think I thought "doran" meant healer, which is similar to its real name. It's of Scottish origin, I believe, related to the word "dorus", or door, but in this case it supposedly means someone who connects, in a metaphysical/spiritual way . . . ack, it's hard to explain. Read the book Wise Child, by Monica Furlough, I believe is the author--it's where I got it. I took it in the sense of a healer, one whose presence is beneficial to people, because that is what I wanted to be in essence (not to be confused with a life work), just in who I was. And "-wen" is a Welsh name ending meaning "white, fair, pure", etc. So I combined a word and an ending from two rather different branches of Celtic language (Irish, Scottish, and Manx Gaelic are from the Goidelic branch, whereas Welsh, Breton, and Cornish are from the Brythonic branch, often referred to as the Q-celtic and P-celtic branches for a certain sound-change that separated them hundreds of years ago) . . .

It's unique enough that I've NEVER had problems with anyone else having it--though maybe that's not so great either, since if you do a google search on "Doranwen", you'll find plenty about me, at least on my interests. The three pages show that I'm into Lois & Clark, Smallville, certain computer software, Sims 2, movie soundtracks, and conlanging . . . Yahoo search reveals I'm also into folk music. And NONE of those references were to anyone BUT me, lol. Guess I'm not very anonymous.

And I've wasted WAY too much time tonight on other forums, and only posted one or two things here at most, but it's almost 3 so I'm going to bed.

Doranwen

Don't point. You make holes in the air and the faeries escape.
#202980 05/05/05 04:24 AM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
It belatedly occurred to me that as others were mentioning their usernames on other forums, alongside this one, I actually had something new to contribute. laugh

So:

I'm Albion on my Stargate forum and among the general SG1 community. I had spent some time searching the net for names of gods and goddesses that had Scots or Celtic roots and then finally just decided to go with that.

I'm dklabrat on Yahoo and Ebay - just because LabRat was already taken and Doc Klein's LabRat was too long.

During the firefighters' strike here in the UK, a bit back, I was Battleaxe laugh on the campaign forum. Self-explanatory really. Was kind of proud of that one. goofy

And I recently joined a gardening mbs. I love pottering around the garden in the summer and would love to be more knowledgeable, but know zip about the subject. So thought I'd join a group that has expert knowledge and use them as a sounding board. Isn't the net a wonderful thing?

It's paid off already in that I was finally able to identify one of my favourite plants in my garden - had been trying to find out what it was on and off for years on the net without any luck. But those guys nailed it in a day. For those interested <g> it's Andromeda Forest Flame. A species of Pieris.

Anyway, over there, I'm Greenpaws. <g> Green, for obvious reasons and..well, I'm a LabRat, so I don't have fingers. wink

Anyone else want to branch out a little and tell us what usernames they use elsewhere and why?

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#202981 05/07/05 01:18 AM
Cherry Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Well, I've got two other usernames: Cherazor and Tjejy.

I mainly use Cherazor because it's one of my RPG characters. My favorite, actually. She's silly, has an IQ below peanut and is quite a randome character. XD
Cherazor isn't really my character's name, it's her callsign. And I wasn't the one to come up with it, so don't blame me for this very...ahem...strange callsign. Cherazor is built on two words Cherry and Razor.
And, well... it sort of stuck. smile1

Tjejy is one of my Swedish friends doing. She wanted to give me a nickname, which showed to be quite impossible until she got the idea to pronounce my name in such a childish way as possible. Well, it sounded something like "Scheejjyyy" - and in Swedish the easiest way to spell that sound is Tjejy. So, there you have it. ^^

Okay. I'm done. dance

"How many times must I tell you? Queens consume nectars and ambrosia, not hot dogs."
#202982 05/14/05 03:16 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I was watching a documentary about fear, why we have fears, how it affects our bodies blah blah blah. It's all to do with some gland in our brain, anyway to show its effects they removed this gland from some monkeys and put them in dangerous environments to see how they would react. And well, they were fearless and they rocked!

Avatar: Michael Clarke, awesome Aussie cricket player
#202983 05/22/05 12:55 PM
B
Blogger
Blogger
B
Well.............

When I was five, my older brother had a batman costume, and I decided that I *HAD* to wear it all the time...getting the nickname "batgirl" and I graduated in 2004...so its really not that interesting, but if you'd see the pics of me as a little kid wearing the batman outfit you'd get it lol

Dear Aquaman, Tell all the fishes Merry Christmas
Cassandra Cain and Tim Drake
A Very Tim and Cassie Christmas
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard