Print Thread
J
JazzyC Offline OP
Blogger
OP Offline
Blogger
J
Hey all,
Maybe some of you can help me out. I just got back my grades for this quarter--and I knew I did badly on one of my finals. Turns out I will be getting my first C of my college career--hopefully my last. I am so disappointed in myself since I know that the reason I did badly was not enough studying/attending class, etc. So, I messed up. I have resolved to do better next quarter (and my other grades this quarter were not bad, As and Bs), but I cannot get over feeling angry with myself and disappointed in myself for not trying hard enough this quarter. I did have a lot of distractions the last couple months, but I don't think that is an excuse. Anyone have a similar experience or something to maybe help me feel better?
Thanks for listening,
Courtney

Merriwether
Merriwether
I know how you feel. My whole first three years of college was like that, after doing so well in High School. I got like a 1.7 GPA my first 2.5 years in college. Then I changed majors, and got 3.something GPA the last semester. But by then it was too late, and I lost my loans.

Now I'm going to night school at a local community college, getting a near-4.0 GPA and won an Outstanding Student award, and am a lot happier with my major. But I'm still kicking myself, because soon I'll have an Associates, when I should have had a Bachelors 6 years ago. *sigh*

So cheer up. There's always next semester. laugh

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
I totally understand, Courtney. I've also seen my grades fall because I didn't study enough. As a matter of fact, I should be studying Advanced Mathematics now, because we're gonna have a test on Wednesday and I need more than a 13/20 I got on last one!

Last year, especially, my grades dropped more than I'd have expected. At times I got depressed and I ended up having put on, like, 5 kilos, because of eating too much to keep me away from depression.

Since then, I haven't at all stopped being the perfectionist that I've always been. But I somehow realized that school grades are not worth ruining my mood (and my shape laugh ). They can always be fixed. A little more studying, a little less fooling around... As Karen nicely put it, there's always next semester smile

Hope I helped a bit!
Wishing you the best,
AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yeah, I know how that is. First semester sophomore year, I definitely didn't study or go to class as much as I should have. I wound up getting a D in physics, but I also had this horrible substitute physics teacher because Dr. Kane, our regular, was out with cancer for a while. I probably wouldn't have changed my major if I did better in that class...so I kick myself over that sometimes. But I suppose in the long run, I'm going to be happier as an artist. Much happier, actually.

Jen
wink

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Hey Courtney,
I understand where you're coming from. That first bad grade tends to put you in a funk. I got the first and only D in my life in college (no C's had happened before to soften the blow). The thing was, I thought I'd understood the stuff... Fluid Dynamics, or something like that. Anyway, sometimes it helps to talk to the prof about the grade- not to get it changed or anything, but just to understand where you went wrong. Not only does faculty see you in a different light (for caring) but it gives you peace of mind knowing that you did what you could, you'll know where to change for next time, and you can move forward.
Best of all, you've got your friendly msg board to listen to your troubles! wave

October Sands, An Urban Fairy Tale featuring Lois and Clark
"Elastigirl? You married Elastigirl? (sees the kids) And got bizzay!" -- Syndrome, The Incredibles
J
JazzyC Offline OP
Blogger
OP Offline
Blogger
J
Thanks everyone for sharing your experience. I know I always have next quarter to do better, its just that I'm getting close to having to worry about applying to Grad school and I know that my GPA is not what it used to be. I'm a 3rd year Biochemistry major and a C in Immunology is not going to look very good on my record (especially if you look at the rest of my grades, which aren't bad at all).

I guess I will just have to work 3X as hard next quarter and get my As again.

Anna-- wink I too have a problem with eating when I am upset--but I'm working on that one too right now--exercising, etc. That helps my moods too....

Thanks again everyone. I appreciate your advice and for taking the time to help make me feel better.
Courtney

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi Courtney,

As a former university professor, I can't echo Sunkist's point strongly enough. It always helps to talk to your professors to find out where you went wrong, what your weak points are, what you can do to improve. It creates a good impression, firstly - shows us that you're keen to learn and to improve. That your attitude is good. Second, it does actually have a practical impact in that you may end up understand stuff you didn't before.

Good luck!

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Grad school. Good gosh. I saw your post and just had to jump in there. Isn't it freaky? I'm in my 3rd year, too, and I have to start applying to art schools and sending off my portfolios in the fall. eek Everyone seems to be taking it with a grain of salt. I clearly missed the confidency memo somewhere in there.

JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
J
JazzyC Offline OP
Blogger
OP Offline
Blogger
J
Hi again,

Wendy and sunkist--I did speak briefly with Dr. Lane smile1 after the final exam. The thing is, I know that the real reason I didn't do well was because I missed a lot of class. Um, I tended to exhaust myself with work (that's over though, got a new job now with normal hours) and I didn't take enough time to study before the final exam (I have "excuses", but I don't like to use them as excuses, if you know what I mean). So I sort of feel embarrassed talking to my prof, knowing I did not put forth my best effort frown . But I have resolved that I will not do the same thing again--I will try much harder next quarter. I also think that I am going to start interacting more with my professors, as I tend to just kinda try to fade into the background and not ask questions, etc. It would probably help if I didn't do that... blush

And yes, Shadow, I must have missed that memo too! huh I am very nervous about applying to Grad school! There are so many schools that I want to go to, I still have to narrow my list down. And I do have this terrible fear of rejection..... My research professor seems to think that I won't have trouble getting into grad school, but I'd better keep up my grades if I expect him to be right!

Oh, and I just got an email--my final grade is actually a C+....a 2.3 instead of a 2.0..... :rolleyes:

Thanks again everyone. It's great to have you all to talk to!
Courtney

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard