Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#202738 03/26/05 05:10 AM
lynnm Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
I found this article We\'re Gobsmacked by Another British Invasion and thought it amusing because it shows that the invasion of UK English seems to be happening in the US. Perhaps a defense of the overabundance of US English that seems to be taking over the world?

Lynn

You know that boy'd walk on water for you? Or he'd drown tryin'. -Perry White to Lois in Just Say Noah
#202739 03/26/05 05:32 AM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
LOL, Lynn. This made me laugh because I have a habit of reading a teletext letters page on TV at some point each day and there are always correspondents on there whining about how US language is sneaking in and degrading our 'pure' English strain. goofy

Funny to see it from the other side of the pond. wink

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#202740 03/26/05 05:50 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
LOL, Lynn! Very interesting to read from over here on the other side of the Atlantic.

Personally, I think 'went missing' is probably used over here - and over there, now - because it's a little more accurate. To say a person has disappeared, if you take it literally, implies that they're no longer visible. If a person has gone missing, it merely means that they can't be found.

But that's really splitting hairs, isn't it? In colloquial English, both are used and we all know exactly what's meant. smile

If your media people have started using 'at the end of the day,' then I feel for you! The phrase is already grossly over-used here, so the thought that we may have now exported it to the US makes me cringe. Sorry, America!

Yvonne laugh

#202741 03/27/05 05:00 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I haven't heard much of "at the end of the day", just plain "in the end" is what I've always heard, so I don't think it's completely taken over. Media is one thing--average American usage is another.
I don't say "sacked"--neither does anyone else I know, really, though I've heard it a few times, enough to know what it means.
"Send up" is totally unfamiliar to me, "full stop" is a rare occurrence. And I can't say I've heard much of "spot on", though more than some of the others above. (Not that people use "dead on" much either--I guess I just haven't heard people saying that type of thing much!)
I think I see "went missing" as kind of a very recent expression, in the sense that one would use it to talk about someone they just temporarily can't find, who could have wandered off or been misplaced somehow--the classic kid wanders away from mom while shopping and they find him playing happily with toys or something. As in, you'd use it for a recent disappearance. But as months go by, it would be "disappeared". Maybe I'm over-analyzing (I do that enough), but it's how it feels to me.
And queueing is an odd word to me, lol. I almost always hear "lining up".
Either I'm atypical, or this movement isn't that strong. Take your pick. laugh

Don't point. You make holes in the air and the faeries escape.

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard