Page 1 of 2 1 2
#202612 03/10/05 06:18 PM
K
Kaylle Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
K
So in the last few months I've developed a weird kind of insomnia. I sleep weird hours and when I want to sleep I can't, but when I'm supposed to be going to class I can <g>. Anyway, last night while I was lying awake I had an idea for this thread. I thought, "Wouldn't it be cool to have a thread just of things people like? Fanfic, published work, pictures, songs, whatever? Just for the heck of it, because sharing things you love always makes you happy?"

So that's what this thread is. If you have a favorite scene in a book, post it! (Preferably not a whole lot of it, as we don't want copyright issues <g>, but enough to show why you love it). If you're reading a fanfic and you come across a line you love, post it! L&C fanfic is the obvious choice, but I don't see why we couldn't paste other things too. Whatever you come across that makes you happy (or sad, in a happy sort of way <g>).

If you have a picture, post a link to it or put it in your message. If you have a song, put in the lyrics. Heck, if you have a favorite scene in a movie you want to share, try transcribing it <g>. There are no rules except that you should attribute the source and explain why you like this scene/verse/artwork/etc. Now, because of the nature of this thread there may be spoilers here for all sorts of things. So be warned <g>. If anyone's posting a particularly large spoiler for something, they should probably put a warning at the top of their post.

Anyway, I'll start. After that it took me a long time to decide on one thing! But I'm going with a passage from Starfighters of Adumar by Aaron Allston. (Actually, this is the abridged version from the audiobook; it's a little more concise than the real thing.) I just love the conversation, the sense of opportunities lost... Okay, don't mind me, I'm a sap wink . Anyway, all the backstory you really need to know is that Wedge is a starfighter pilot and Iella is an intelligence officer. Qwi is Wedge's ex-girlfriend, and Diric is Iella's late husband.

"Listen, I haven't seen you in months. And now that we've talked, I still feel as though I haven't seen you. What's going on?"

"I can't help you with that, Wedge."

"Iella, have we stopped being friends?"

She was silent for a long moment. "I suppose we have."

Wedge felt his breath catch. "When did that happen? How did it happen?"

"It's not you, Wedge, it's me." Her mask of serenity slipped, leaving her expression tired, even dismayed. "I just had another direction to go, and you're not there." She put her hood up; suddenly he could no longer see her features. "I have to go," she said, and turned away.

Wedge stood there and watched her fade into the darkness of the plaza's shadowy edges. It occurred to him that this departure was just the image, the reflection of something that must have happened long ago. He just didn't remember when.
And, later in the book:
"Iella, if General Cracken orders me to play Turr Phennir's game with the aerial duels, I'll refuse. I'll resign my commission." He saw her jaw drop.

"When I do that, I'll have to start over from the ground up. New career, new friends, new world, maybe even a new name. Since I'm on the verge of losing everything, I really need to find out how I lost something earlier. I need to know how I lost your regard."

She stared at him. Finally she shook her head and said, "It's not... like that. It's nothing you did, it's something I did." Her expression lost all self-assurance. "Wedge, let's not do this now."

"When? Iella, we can't do it when I'm a civilian being shipped back to Coruscant in disgrace, now's the time!" He slid toward her, the knot in his throat threatening to cut off his speech altogether. "Please. Because we *were* friends. Tell me how we stopped. Was it my relationship with Qwi?"

A flicker of pain crossed her face. "No. Yes. It's related to that." Her words were a long time in coming. "When Diric died, you and Corran were there for me. And when I gradually got better you didn't wander away, it wasn't a 'you're all fine now, so it's back to work for me.' I can't tell you what that meant to me. And gradually I began to wonder..." She was silent for long moments. "If maybe there was a chance for you and me."

He gave her a nod. "I had those same thoughts."

"But I told myself it was too soon to be thinking about that. I told myself that for a long time. Looking back on it after a while I don't suppose you could have thought I was still interested in you. We became just pals. And one day there she was, Qwi Xux, hanging off your arm. And I realized I'd waited too long. It hurt every time I saw you, knowing that I'd thrown away my opportunity. And you can't be friends with someone who cuts out your heart, even unintentionally, every time you run into him."

"You know, we're not together anymore, Qwi and I."

She nodded, but her expression did not lighten.

"And?"

"And what? And she's gone, and so maybe we can start all over again?"

Surprised by the heat and anger in her voice, Wedge drew back. "So what you're saying is that I hurt you so badly that we can never be anything to one another again."

"I suppose that is what I'm saying." Iella looked on the verge of tears. "I'm sorry, Wedge, I am, but I think you'd better leave."

"It's not leaving that's hard, anymore," he said, scarcely recognizing his own voice. "It's finding somewhere to go."
Okay, so it's a Star Wars book. Forgive me, with the musical going on I have SW on the brain wink . But I've been rereading it, and I've always loved these scenes. So here they are. I hope someone enjoyed them, and I hope someone posts something new! What do you love?

Kaylle
thumbsup

#202613 03/10/05 06:42 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Ok, for starters, what makes me feel optimistic and hopeful in my down-moments is the following quote:

Never fear shadows. They simply mean there's a light shining somewhere nearby.
-Ruth E. Renkel

I came across this quote in some teen magazine, years ago. For me, who was (and still is a little bit) afraid of the dark, the quote simply states that there's a good side or hope even in darkness. Hence, always search for the silver lining, so to speak.

wave smile

If she had to move heaven and Earth, perhaps come back to haunt Perry and explain the story after they'd killed her, she would do it.

Waking a Miracle by Aria
#202614 03/10/05 08:06 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Oh no, I should be sleeping, but the thread caught my attention...

Really, I love my sig quote lol.

I'll be back later to add stuff after I pencil in some sleep...

JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#202615 03/10/05 08:23 PM
K
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
K
Gah!! Kaylle, I loved that second excerpt! Thanks for sharing!

The following quote is remains a favorite of mine. Now, if anyone thinks Kaylle is a sap... oh boy, I'd better hide after this. blush I've always felt comforted by the sight of Orion, my favorite constellation. It's hard to explain why, but I just have. So when I came across this part in For Better, For Worse by Carole Matthews, I got all teary-eyed because it explains how I feel, at least in part.

That's Orion... The handsome hunter. I used to think that somewhere in the world my hero was looking up at him too and one day he would appear and we would know that somehow we were connected and were meant to be together forever.
One of my favorite quotes:

"There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face." ~Ben Williams~

A few years ago, my sister gave me this picture framed with the quote.

[Linked Image]

That's Max after the "kissy, kissy" command. goofy

I'm sure I'll think of more later, but those are two of my favorite things... well three if you count Max, which I do. laugh

Sara goofy

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
šŸ†2024 Kerth Award Posts šŸ†.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

#202616 03/11/05 01:11 PM
K
Kaylle Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
K
Sara, that is a great picture! You look so happy!

Kaylle

#202617 03/11/05 01:26 PM
E
Columnist
Columnist
E
My favorite scenes of all time are from LoTR, especially the one where Sam asks if Frodo thinks they'll make up stories about them later on. I've always loved that one. wink

I believe there's a hero in all of us that keeps us honest, gives us strength, makes us noble, and finally allows us to die with pride, even though sometimes we have to be steady and give up the thing we want the most. Even our dreams. -- Aunt May, Spider-Man 2
#202618 03/11/05 01:50 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
As quite a few of you know, I {heart} rugby. smile

The picture (of me <g>) was taken in April or May of last year in a tournament. The tent is for our stuff (though as you can see, they were pretty scattered around as it was... we're messy <g>), not because we were camping or anything. <g>

[Linked Image]

Julie smile

Mulder: Imagine if you could come back and take out five people who had caused you to suffer. Who would they be?
Scully: I only get five?
Mulder: I remembered your birthday this year, didn't I, Scully?

(The X-Files)
#202619 03/11/05 02:31 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
I also love the book, Anne of Green Gables. The first time I read it was in grade 5 or 6, and I've reread it more times than I can say since. It's just one of those books I'll never get tired of. Of the sequels, I like Anne of Avonlea and Anne of the Island, as well as Anne's House of Dreams.

This is one of my favourote excerpts from the book - Anne and Diana had a... sort of mishap, wink and Diana's mother forbade her from seeing Anne. When this takes place, most grown-ups in town left for the city to see the Prime Minister speak, so Diana's home with a babysitter, and Anne and Diana haven't spoken in around three months.

Just as Anne emerged triumphantly from the cellar with her plateful of russets came the sound of flying footsteps on the icy board walk outside and the next moment the kitchen door was flung open and in rushed Diana Barry, white faced and breathless, with a shawl wrapped hastily around her head. Anne promptly let go of her candle and plate in her surprise, and plate, candle, and apples crashed together down the cellar ladder and were found at the bottom embedded in melted grease, the next day, by Marilla, who gathered them up and thanked mercy the house hadn't been set on fire.

"Whatever is the matter, Diana?" cried Anne. "Has your mother relented at last?"

"Oh, Anne, do come quick," implored Diana nervously. "Minnie May is awful sick--she's got croup. Young Mary Joe says--and Father and Mother are away to town and there's nobody to go for the doctor. Minnie May is awful bad and Young Mary Joe doesn't know what to do--and oh, Anne, I'm so scared!"

Matthew, without a word, reached out for cap and coat, slipped past Diana and away into the darkness of the yard.

"He's gone to harness the sorrel mare to go to Carmody for the doctor," said Anne, who was hurrying on hood and jacket. "I know it as well as if he'd said so. Matthew and I are such kindred spirits I can read his thoughts without words at all."

"I don't believe he'll find the doctor at Carmody," sobbed Diana. "I know that Dr. Blair went to town and I guess Dr. Spencer would go too. Young Mary Joe never saw anybody with croup and Mrs. Lynde is away. Oh, Anne!"

"Don't cry, Di," said Anne cheerily. "I know exactly what to do for croup. You forget that Mrs. Hammond had twins three times. When you look after three pairs of twins you naturally get a lot of experience. They all had croup regularly. Just wait till I get the ipecac bottle--you mayn't have any at your house. Come on now."

The two little girls hastened out hand in hand and hurried through Lover's Lane and across the crusted field beyond, for the snow was too deep to go by the shorter wood way. Anne, although sincerely sorry for Minnie May, was far from being insensible to the romance of the situation and to the sweetness of once more sharing that romance with a kindred spirit.

The night was clear and frosty, all ebony of shadow and silver of snowy slope; big stars were shining over the silent fields; here and there the dark pointed firs stood up with snow powdering their branches and the wind whistling through them. Anne thought it was truly delightful to go skimming through all this mystery and loveliness with your bosom friend who had been so long estranged.

Minnie May, aged three, was really very sick. She lay on the kitchen sofa feverish and restless, while her hoarse breathing could be heard all over the house. Young Mary Joe, a buxom, broad-faced French girl from the creek, whom Mrs. Barry had engaged to stay with the children during her absence, was helpless and bewildered, quite incapable of thinking what to do, or doing it if she thought of it.

Anne went to work with skill and promptness.
And then, of course:

"Mrs. Barry was here this afternoon, Anne. She wanted to see you, but I wouldn't wake you up. She says you saved Minnie May's life, and she is very sorry she acted as she did in that affair of the currant wine. She says she knows now you didn't mean to set Diana drunk, and she hopes you'll forgive her and be good friends with Diana again. You're to go over this evening if you like for Diana can't stir outside the door on account of a bad cold she caught last night. Now, Anne Shirley, for pity's sake don't fly up into the air."

The warning seemed not unnecessary, so uplifted and aerial was Anne's expression and attitude as she sprang to her feet, her face irradiated with the flame of her spirit.

"Oh, Marilla, can I go right now--without washing my dishes? I'll wash them when I come back, but I cannot tie myself down to anything so unromantic as dishwashing at this thrilling moment."

"Yes, yes, run along," said Marilla indulgently. "Anne Shirley--are you crazy? Come back this instant and put something on you. I might as well call to the wind. She's gone without a cap or wrap. Look at her tearing through the orchard with her hair streaming. It'll be a mercy if she doesn't catch her death of cold."

Anne came dancing home in the purple winter twilight across the snowy places. Afar in the southwest was the great shimmering, pearl-like sparkle of an evening star in a sky that was pale golden and ethereal rose over gleaming white spaces and dark glens of spruce. The tinkles of sleigh bells among the snowy hills came like elfin chimes through the frosty air, but their music was not sweeter than the song in Anne's heart and on her lips.
The whole chapter (as well as the whole book) is here .

There's something really nice and beautiful about such a strong friendship, when love - Lois and Clark kind of love <g> - is nowhere in the picture, for a change.

Not that love is bad. <g>

Julie smile

Mulder: Imagine if you could come back and take out five people who had caused you to suffer. Who would they be?

(The X-Files)
#202620 03/12/05 07:47 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Because I'm in a bad mood and this thread is making me feel better, here's more from another favourite book - Jane Eyre.

Here, Jane is quite far away from where Mr Rochester is.

"What have you heard? What do you see?" asked St. John. I saw nothing, but I heard a voice somewhere cry -

"Jane! Jane! Jane!"--nothing more.

"O God! what is it?" I gasped.

I might have said, "Where is it?" for it did not seem in the room-- nor in the house--nor in the garden; it did not come out of the air- -nor from under the earth--nor from overhead. I had heard it-- where, or whence, for ever impossible to know! And it was the voice of a human being--a known, loved, well-remembered voice--that of Edward Fairfax Rochester; and it spoke in pain and woe, wildly, eerily, urgently.

"I am coming!" I cried. "Wait for me! Oh, I will come!" I flew to the door and looked into the passage: it was dark. I ran out into the garden: it was void.

"Where are you?" I exclaimed.

The hills beyond Marsh Glen sent the answer faintly back--"Where are you?" I listened. The wind sighed low in the firs: all was moorland loneliness and midnight hush.
A bit later, Jane and Mr Rochester meet again:

"I was in my own room, and sitting by the window, which was open: it soothed me to feel the balmy night-air; though I could see no stars and only by a vague, luminous haze, knew the presence of a moon. I longed for thee, Janet! Oh, I longed for thee both with soul and flesh! I asked of God, at once in anguish and humility, if I had not been long enough desolate, afflicted, tormented; and might not soon taste bliss and peace once more. That I merited all I endured, I acknowledged--that I could scarcely endure more, I pleaded; and the alpha and omega of my heart's wishes broke involuntarily from my lips in the words--'Jane! Jane! Jane!'"

"Did you speak these words aloud?"

"I did, Jane. If any listener had heard me, he would have thought me mad: I pronounced them with such frantic energy."

"And it was last Monday night, somewhere near midnight?"

"Yes; but the time is of no consequence: what followed is the strange point. You will think me superstitious,--some superstition I have in my blood, and always had: nevertheless, this is true-- true at least it is that I heard what I now relate.

"As I exclaimed 'Jane! Jane! Jane!' a voice--I cannot tell whence the voice came, but I know whose voice it was--replied, 'I am coming: wait for me;' and a moment after, went whispering on the wind the words--'Where are you?'

"I'll tell you, if I can, the idea, the picture these words opened to my mind: yet it is difficult to express what I want to express. Ferndean is buried, as you see, in a heavy wood, where sound falls dull, and dies unreverberating. 'Where are you?' seemed spoken amongst mountains; for I heard a hill-sent echo repeat the words. Cooler and fresher at the moment the gale seemed to visit my brow: I could have deemed that in some wild, lone scene, I and Jane were meeting. In spirit, I believe we must have met. You no doubt were, at that hour, in unconscious sleep, Jane: perhaps your soul wandered from its cell to comfort mine; for those were your accents- -as certain as I live--they were yours!"

Reader, it was on Monday night--near midnight--that I too had received the mysterious summons: those were the very words by which I replied to it. I listened to Mr. Rochester's narrative, but made no disclosure in return. The coincidence struck me as too awful and inexplicable to be communicated or discussed. If I told anything, my tale would be such as must necessarily make a profound impression on the mind of my hearer: and that mind, yet from its sufferings too prone to gloom, needed not the deeper shade of the supernatural. I kept these things then, and pondered them in my heart.
I just love this.

Julie smile

Edit: forgot to add, that this book is also available online - along with other classics - here . smile

(The X-Files)
#202621 03/12/05 11:34 AM
K
Kaylle Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
K
Yay! I'm glad the thread is making you happy, because that was the intent <g>. I loved Anne of Green Gables as well. I saw the movie when I was a very small child and then read the books when I got older (the stories are somewhat different, but I liked having the actors' pictures in my head wink ).

I haven't read Jane Eyre, but I read a science fiction retelling of it a few years ago, so I do recognize the moment you've pasted. Someday (when I'm not a college student <g>) I will have to read the real thing; it sounds like something I'd enjoy.

Kaylle

#202622 03/17/05 09:35 AM
K
Kaylle Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
K
Okay, to bring the topic back to L&C for a minute, I found this picture on my hard drive and wanted to post it.

[Linked Image]

I love this picture. I like all the tattoo pictures, actually. I love how much they say about L&C's relationship, and so subtly. I wrote a whole essay on them in my diary years ago when I was a silly freshman <g>. I'm not going to paste the whole thing here, because it's ridiculously long and rather embarrassing, but here's what I had to say about this one in particular:

I look at these pictures, and I see that spark. That physical chemistry that made Lois and Clark something more than another romantic television show. [...] Three things strike me about this one. Thereā€™s still that spark of passion, that indefinable sense of mutual desire. Theyā€™re standing pressed together; sheā€™s almost leaning into him. But thereā€™s also an emotion there. She isnā€™t smirking, or even smiling. Sheā€™s seriousā€” she seems content just to be in his arms. His eyes arenā€™t proud or mocking or covetous. Instead, they seem honest, open. He feels something, and he isnā€™t afraid to admit that.

But thereā€™s still that possessive mark of ownership. The tattoos say a lot, even without his subtle hold on her pocket. The ā€˜Sā€™ is a mark of who he is, what he is. A symbol of him. The fact that itā€™s emblazoned so brightly on her own shoulder, mimicking him, seems a blatant indication that she belongs to him. Like a label or a stamp, his symbol marks her as his own.

If you had asked me a few days ago, this would have upset me.
Anyway, I just love how much emotion is evident in such a simple picture.

And it's interesting to me that, if I remember correctly, these pictures were used as publicity shots early on in the show's run, before Lois and Clark had even developed a romantic relationship? Can someone with a better memory confirm or deny that? At any rate, I'm impressed Teri and Dean were able to pull off that much emotion before their characters had grown into it.

Okay, that's enough from me,
Kaylle

#202623 03/17/05 11:43 AM
K
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
K
Thanks for that pic, Kaylle!!! And thank you for sharing the journal entry! I couldn't have said it better myself. I'm a huge fan of the tattoo series as well for that reason among others. I found this site that mentions the tattoo pictures were used to promote the series throughout its run, but also before it even began. This was one of the posters made to promote the series before it came out (according to this site). I'm the proud owner of one of these posters smile1 ($10 on ebay wink ).

I have an 8x10 tattoo pic as well that I think is my favorite of the series. I even went so far as to sketch it, though, I never did get around to finishing it. frown Wah!! I was going to scan the drawing in to share with you guys and I *cannot* find my sketch book. razz Well, guess that means it's time to really clean my room. frown

In the meantime, this is my fav of the tattoo series.

[Linked Image]

Sara (who now really misses her sketch book frown )

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
šŸ†2024 Kerth Award Posts šŸ†.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

#202624 03/17/05 02:28 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Ooh, the tattoo series... I love those. "Have you been to Metropolis lately?" I've got one of those posters, too. My favorite pose, though, is slightly different -- I'll try to link to where I've got it on my fanfic webpage.

[Linked Image]

I've monkeyed with the picture a little to use it on my website, but you get the idea. I love that closeness, the cuddling. Together against the world, you know?

Fascinating idea for a thread, btw -- I may come back with other favorites smile

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#202625 03/23/05 03:33 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I loved the tattoo series of photos too.

Hmm...the only thing I can think of right now that is something of a favourite with me is the little poem that's in my sig. It's kind of become my motto in life really.

In this life of froth and bubble,
Two things stand like stone.
Kindness in another's trouble,
Courage in your own.

I found it in one of John Marsden's books from the Tomorrow, When The War Began series, can't remember which. Has anyone read any of his books?

In this life of froth and bubble,
Two things stand like stone.
Kindness in another's trouble,
Courage in your own.
#202626 03/23/05 04:07 AM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I haven't contributed to this thread because when it comes to movies and books and the like I'm hopeless at choosing a favourite. I just have too many; whittling them down to a few favourites is impossible. But... <g>

One of my very favourite SFantasy series are the Keltiad novels by Patricia Kennealy. In The Throne of Scone, the final book in Aeron's trilogy, Aeron, Queen of Keltia and her prince consort, Gwydion, have been cruelly seperated by war and their enemies for almost the entire book. This scene, their reunion, never fails to make me snuffle:

Aeron had run out without even a cloak, but she felt neither the chill nor the rain, and there under the peony-trees she was again hit by the same causeless sorrow, far stronger now, that had so shaken her earlier that night. An unhappiness like a groundswelling wave spread out to enfold her in one great aching sadness, leaching away her strength until she felt she could scarely continue to stand upright; her bones felt turned all to water, and the darkness pressed in upon her.

Then a deeper darkness seemed to form at the end of the alley of peony-trees; it moved, resolved into a tall shape as she looked up, straining her sight and her othersight through the mist. Even the rain seemed to hush, and then she was running through the dark, and the other was running too, and she flung herself into Gwydion's arms, and he caught her up against him under his cloak.

They did not kiss, not at first; what he felt and knew she shared, was a feeling too huge and deep and solemn to be met with anything save silence and utter stillness, of body and of spirit. He held her close without a word spoken, and she leaned her head against his chest, and they did not move for many moments.

When at last he spoke, it seemed that his words were but a continuation, somehow, of something he had been saying to her forever, a speech that had never been interrupted and that had never been begun.

"They had told me you were dead, do you see; I did not feel it so, but after a while, alone there, times were when I did begin to wonder if they were not right. So even I lost courage in the end - "

"And even I, when I heard you were in Caer Sidi." She drew back a little, looked up into his face. "Just now - I did not think I could bear it."

The rain had ended; the rising wind had torn the clouds apart, so that the moon now shone clear upon them. His countenance in the moonlight seemed suddenly strange; she had known it all her life, had loved it near as long, yet now the white light spilling over the planes of his face made all new: a country of unfamiliar contrasts and terrifying strengths, his skin blanched of all color against the darkness of hair and beard, the grey eyes sparkling silver when the moon caught them, black under brow-shadow when he bent his head away.

What glyphs of change he read in her own face she did not know; surely he mus see at least what Elathan saw, and Morwen and Kieran, and doubtless far more than that. But he said no word of it, only drew one finger, callused from harp and sword-hilt both, down along her cheek and jaw and throat, and closing his hand over the neck-brooch of her tunic pulled her close against him once more.

"Keltia has been asleep without you," he said into her hair. "A troubled, fitful doze full of evil dreams, and all us walking in our sleep. But now will come a fair waking."
Favourite poems: I've always loved The Lady of Shalott and The Raven - just love the way they flow when you read them. Other well-loved poems I've used in fanfic - Robert Frost's Stopping By Woods On A Snowy Evening and John Gillespie Magee's High Flight, for example are often read favourites.

And this:

But, O Sarah! if the dead can come back to this earth and flit unseen around those they loved, I shall always be near you; In the gladdest days and in the darkest nights . . . always, always, and if there be a soft breeze upon your cheek, it shall be my breath, as the cool air fans your throbbing temple, it shall be my spirit passing by. Sarah do not mourn me dead; think I am gone and wait for thee, for we shall meet again.

- Major Sullivan Ballou, to his wife, a week before his death in 1861, during the American Civil War.
LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#202627 03/23/05 05:16 AM
K
Kaylle Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
K
I have an 8x10 tattoo pic as well that I think is my favorite of the series. I even went so far as to sketch it, though, I never did get around to finishing it. Wah!! I was going to scan the drawing in to share with you guys and I *cannot* find my sketch book.
That's amazing, Sara, because I did the same thing! I've tried to sketch both the pic you posted and the pic Pam posted (actually, I haven't tried to sketch the one I posted, that's interesting <g>). And I didn't finish either of them. I don't have a sketchbook, so where are they now? Goodness only knows...

I hope you find yours before I find mine! wink

Kaylle

#202628 03/23/05 07:31 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Oooooh, sketches. That's something we've never seen much of in this fandom, funnily enough - artwork. It's pretty pervasive in others.

So if you find those sketches, do share. <G>

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#202629 03/23/05 01:05 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
That's something we've never seen much of in this fandom, funnily enough - artwork
While I cannot make sketches, I do some artwork on my computer from time to time laugh

Frequently, I view the following two "wallpapers" I made, just because... I guess it feels good. wink

[Linked Image]

[img]http://www.cs.utexas.edu/~ankitks/images/LnCPersonas.BMP[/img]

If she had to move heaven and Earth, perhaps come back to haunt Perry and explain the story after they'd killed her, she would do it.

Waking a Miracle by Aria
#202630 03/23/05 01:52 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Here's some artwork I really love (not mine, but still nice <g>):

[Linked Image]

This is from The Superman Homepage .

Julie smile

(The X-Files)
#202631 03/23/05 02:49 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Oo, i'll play.

One of my favorite series is the Outlander books by Diana Gabaldon. It's got time travel and it's romantic and historical and romantic and adventurous and romantic..well you get the point. wink Claire, believing her husband Jamie to be dead in the battle of Culloden, returns to her own time to bear their child. Meanwhile, Jamie survived the battle. For twenty years, the lovers yearn for one another, until Claire learns that Jamie survived. So Claire returns to the 18th century and this part is where she appears for the first time..

"Is that you, Geordie?" he asked, not turning around. He was dressed in shirt and breeches, and had a small tool of some kind in his hand, with which he was doing something to the innards of the press. "Took ye long enough, Did ye get the-"

"It isn't Geordie," I said. My voice was higher than usual. "It's me," I said. "Claire."

He straightened up very slowly. He wore his hair long; a thick tail of a deep, rich auburn sparked with copper. I had time to see that the neat ribbon that tied it back was green, and then he turned around.

He stated at me without speaking. A tremor ran down the muscular throat lie swallowed, but still he didn't say anything.

It was the same broad, good-humored face, dark blue eyes aslant the high, flat cheekbones of a Viking, long mouth curling at the ends as though always on the verge of smiling. The lines surrounding eyes and mouth were deeper, of course. The nose had changed just a bit. The knife-edge bridge was slight1v thickened near the base by the ridge of an old, healed fracture. It made him look fiercer, I thought, but lessened that air of aloof reserve, and lent his appearance a new rough charm.

I walked through the flap in the counter, seeing nothing but that unblinking stare. I cleared my throat.

"When did you break your nose?"

The corners of the wide mouth lifted slightly.

"About three minutes after I last saw ye-Sassenach."

There was a hesitation, almost a question in the name. There was no more than a foot between us. I reached out tentatively and touched the tiny line of the break, where the bone pressed white against the bronze of his skin.

He flinched backward as though an electric spark had arced between us, and the calm expression shattered.

"You're real," he whispered. I had thought him pale already. Now all vestiges of color drained from his face. His eyes rolled up and he slumped to the floor in a shower of papers and oddments that had been sitting on the press-he fell rather gracefully for such a large man, I thought abstractedly.
*sigh*

and then
"I th-thought you were dead." I had meant to speak lightly, but my voice betrayed me. The tears spilled down my checks, only to soak into the rough cloth of his shirt as he pulled me hard against him.

I shook so that it was some time before I realized that he was shaking, too, and for the same reason. I don't know how long we sat there on the dusty floor, crying in each other's arms with the longing of twenty years spilling down our faces.

His fingers twined hard in my hair, pulling it loose so that it tumbled down my neck. The dislodged pins cascaded over my shoulders and pinged on the floor like pellets of hail. My own fingers were clasped around his forearm, digging into the linen as though I were afraid he would disappear unless physically restrained.
*sob*

~Liz (nice thread Kaylee! thumbsup )

Lois: Can I go?
Clark: No.
Lois: Oh come on, Clark, why do we go through this? We both know Iā€™m going to go.
Clark: Then why do you ask?
Lois: Iā€™m trying to be nice.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard