Print Thread
#202017 01/11/05 04:17 AM
B
Bethy Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
B
Okay, as some of you know, I'm working as an English Assistant in France right now. Which basically means I help out teachers with their English classes. In France, the standard English taught is UK English, but when I speak with the kids, I use American English, because, well, that's what I speak. :p

Anyway, sometimes teachers will ask me to clarify things in texts -- to make sure they've understood it right. And there was a short story by Roald Dahl (who was English) that introduced a characater as "a big, vigorous woman with a wet mouth." And now *two* teachers have asked me what "a wet mouth" means.

I said that I've never heard it as an expression, so I'd take it literally -- she's got lots of spit in her mouth. (Which is a rather...gross way to introduce a character, but that is neither here nor there.)

So, I'm wondering -- is this a UK expression that I'm unfamiliar with? Or is it just a really bizarre way of describing a character who turns out to be rather odious anyway, so let's get that impression out there right off the bat?

Thanks!

Bethy

I don't suffer from insanity...I enjoy every minute of it.
#202018 01/11/05 11:08 AM
A
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
A
Well, I know that my web browser flags the result of Googling "wet mouth" as inappropriate content.... Seems unlikely that's the point M. Dahl is trying to make, however. Does she lick her lips a lot or something?

But then, I'd probably be more use to you on the French side than the UK English side -- while my accent is supposedly tinged with a little bit of the British (in addition to my Southern 'twang), my knowledge of their argot is limited.

#202019 01/11/05 11:15 AM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
While it's not an expression I recognise as being in general use round where I live <g>, I do immediately know what is meant.

Not entirely sure I can explain it though. About the best I can do is say this is someone who would descend on a kid like an elderly aunt and give him very sloppy, slobbery kisses. huh

And now that I've further confused the issue, I'll toddle off to bed... wink

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#202020 01/12/05 07:22 AM
Blogger
Blogger
Did you never read Roald Dahl as a kid!

Jeez a wet mouth (and BTW have to either agree with Labrat or imagine someone with a bit of a drool problem - some not unfamiliar with the remark say it dont't sparay it) has to be one of his nicer descriptions. Check "The Twits", "the witches", "Georges Marvelous medicine" etc for further colourful descriptions. They used to make me giggle!

Jupiter

OK now I think about it maybe british kids are weird...or just the ones I grew up with huh

"Gravity is responsible for nearly 70% of accidents involving falling objects"
#202021 01/12/05 05:22 PM
M
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
M
I loved Roald Dahl as a kid. I have a wicked sense of humour, and I've always atributed it to beign "currupted" by Roald Dahl works. smile

His "The Landlady" is one of my favourite short stories, because it's a horror story, yet it has a very calm breezy feel to it. It's only at the end, when the story ends and the lady is smiling and Billy is still conversing with her, then you'd be like "Wait a minute here....."

And his "Lamb to the Slaughter". Talk about the perfect crime, complete with an edible murder weapon. How cool is that?
twins
metwin1

#202022 01/13/05 02:15 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Yes, I'd agree with Labrat - it's not a colloquial expression in common use, it's just Roald Dahl being creative with words.

Yvonne

#202023 01/13/05 01:59 PM
A
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
A
Originally posted by metwin1:
His "The Landlady" is one of my favourite short stories, because it's a horror story, yet it has a very calm breezy feel to it. It's only at the end, when the story ends and the lady is smiling and Billy is still conversing with her, then you'd be like "Wait a minute here....."

And his "Lamb to the Slaughter". Talk about the perfect crime, complete with an edible murder weapon. How cool is that?
Hadn't read "The Landlady" before -- here's a quick summary of my reaction:
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: smile smile smile jawdrop

And "Lamb to the Slaughter" I hadn't read in a while.... Mmhmm, good story. :-)

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard