Next Thread
Print Thread
M
metwin1 Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
M
I know it's the festive season, and the last thing you'd like to read is something like this, but I had to put a note here.

There was a massive earthquake in SE Asia on 26th Dec. The epicentre was somewhere off the coast, west of Sumatra, at the Richter scale of 8.9; apparently it's the strongest earthquake in 40 years, and the 4th strongest since 1899.

What's worst was the tsunami waves that were generated were powerful enough to hit Sri Lanka and India (which are thousands of kilometres away). There was no tsunami warning system in place at the Indian Ocean, unlike for the Pacific Ocean, so the devastation came without warning. The death toll has been catastrophic, at about 12000 but is still rising. For more details, please check your favourite news source. I'd suggest CNN or BBC.

Singapore was lucky; it was sheltered by the surrounding land masses and only felt slight tremors. I'm very relieved.

Please keep the victims of this horrible disaster, and their families in your thoughts and prayers this festive season.

twins
metwin1

Merriwether
Merriwether
The updated Richter scale reading of the earthquake is 9.0. That makes it the fourth largest earthquake since they started recording.

The death toll is incomprehensible. frown Friends of mine who live in the area (and are, thank God, safe), describe scenes that bring to mind battlefields.

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
C
Kerth
Kerth
C
I heard on the news early this morning the devestation caused by the tsunamis is very extensive displacing millions of people. Last I heard there were reports that currently around 11000 people dead. Aftershocks from the initial tremor are between 6 and 7.5 on the Ricther scale.

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched they must be felt with the heart

Helen Keller
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Thanks for checkin in, Metwin1. I was thinking about our friends in Singapore yesterday. Such a dreadful end to the year.

LabRat frown

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Merriwether
Merriwether

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Metwin1, I can only imagine how horrible this must be for you and Meclone2; I know you two are in Toronto at the moment, far away from your family. frown

The devastation and deaths caused by this earthquake are simply beyond comprehension. Words can't express how horrified, how desperately sorry I was to read about it.

As I'm sure most people know, the International Red Cross is accepting donations for disaster relief; I'm sure the Red Crescent will be as well. With most of these appeals, it's easy to donate via your local bank.

I know you must be relieved that Singapore escaped the worst of it, and I hope you've been able to speak to your family. You know we're always here if you need company, though - on the boards or on IRC.

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Merriwether
Merriwether
frown

They are asking for $$ instead of blankets and such b/c money is easier to transfer. Physical goods would take some of their resources away from the people.

It was bound to happen sooner or later. It is unfortuante that it happened. Let's hope it doesn't get really bad...

I find this sort of stuff facinating, but on a human level it is sooo sad frown

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I followed a link to this site which seems to offer a pretty comprehensive list of where you can donate to help the victims. Also note the comments section re a message board to help make contact with people in the region.

Lois: You know the deal.
Clark: Superman gets the guys in capes, Lois and Clark get the guys in suits.

-- Action Comics 827
MLT Offline
Merriwether
Merriwether
Any Canuks out there who are wanting to donate, aren't afraid of the internet and want a tax receipt go to www.redcross.ca

She was in such a good mood she let all the pedestrians in the crosswalk get to safety before taking off again.
- CC Aiken, The Late Great Lois Lane
Merriwether
Merriwether
My friend in Sri Lanka particularly recommends donating to the Red Cross and Oxfam. Some of the other places accepting money are potentially less likely to get the money where it can do much good, for various reasons.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
Top Banana
Top Banana
There's a dedicated site for making donations here , although it's obviously been set up very hastily - not all of the links work yet and it's a little slow. However, it's definitely bona fide; so far I've found links to it from the Scotsman and Oxfam, and I've heard references to it on the BBC.

Having said all of that, I'm still going to donate through Oxfam just because the other website is a bit flaky at the moment.

Yvonne

S
Top Banana
Top Banana
S
news say over 100.000 victims, and as many people are at risk because of epidemic.
I have no words.

Simona

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
However, it's definitely bona fide; so far I've found links to it from the Scotsman and Oxfam, and I've heard references to it on the BBC.
It's definitely trustworthy. It's a co-ordinating, umberella group set up by the biggest charities.

The Disasters Emergency Committee - www.dec.org.uk - is an umbrella group of UK aid organisations - including ActionAid, British Red Cross, Oxfam - working to provide clean water, food and shelter to thousands.
Apparently it's raised £5m alone in the last 24 hours. I might try donating there as I've been unable to access the Red Cross site so far.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Merriwether
Merriwether
I couple of days ago I saw this on the news - one village/town had noone die. Why? I cannot remember if it was part of their folklore, stories and it is a part of their way of life that every time there is an earthquake the people run for the hills. So once again they fled and well no one was around when the tsunami came.

I think they said over 100 years ago they were devestated by a tsunami and it came a part of their lives and was not forgotten.

Can anyone remember what tsunamis/tidal waves (and yes we all know that is tech. incorrect) are called around the world? I'm embarassed that I cannot remember!

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
This has been a terrible week for many here in Scandinavia also, for many thousands used to travel to Thailand for Christmas holliday. In Finland alone, there are 15 dead and 183 missing (i.e probably dead also) people. Among them, there are many children and entire families. This is the most terrible accident during the peace time.

The hardest is the lot of Sweden where there are at this moment 52 dead and 1903 missing people (their number may go down, all is not yet clear). This means, it is for the Swedes even a far greater catastrophe than the sinking of Estonia in 1994.

All living tourists are nown flown home, and although many are lost family members and/or are suffering from physical and mental scars, their lot is not yet so hard as many Thai people who lost all they had.

Knowing this, it has been amazing to learn how the Thai people helped tourists who were complete strangers to them, by giving them food and shelter and lending them cell-phones in order to call home. So, people here has already made records of all time in money raising campaigns in order to help Thailand and other lands hit by the tsunami.

Even though I don't have any relatives or friends among the victims, I want to express my gratitude for any Thai FOLCs reading this as well my condolences of any FOLCs around the world who have relatives or friends among the victims.

Gabriele
E
Columnist
Columnist
E
Can anyone remember what tsunamis/tidal waves(and yes we all know that is tech. incorrect) are called around the world? I'm embarassed that I cannot remember!
What do you mean? All I've heard the news reports call them are tsunamis. I didn't even know there was another word. Blame it on the US education system, I suppose. confused

I believe there's a hero in all of us that keeps us honest, gives us strength, makes us noble, and finally allows us to die with pride, even though sometimes we have to be steady and give up the thing we want the most. Even our dreams. -- Aunt May, Spider-Man 2
M
metwin1 Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
M
Can anyone remember what tsunamis/tidal waves(and yes we all know that is tech. incorrect) are called around the world? I'm embarassed that I cannot remember!
I'm not sure what you are trying to ask here. However, the word "tsunami", though it has a Japanese origin, is an English word. In fact, it first made an appearance in the Oxford English Dictionary in 1897. It is used when describing this phenomenon in English all around the world. So a tsunami is called .... a tsunami around the world.

If, however, you are interested how tsunami is refered to in other languages, I can start the ball rolling in Chinese. The chinese characters literally mean "roar of the sea", and is pronounced in:

Mandarin - Hai Xiao (pron. hai siau)
Cantonese - Hoi Siew

Other chinese dialects will pronounce the characters differently. You probably won't be interested in how the characters look like.

twins
metwin1

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard