Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#201849 12/26/04 02:58 AM
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Apparently, there's an asteroid out there headed our way, with a worrisome chance of hitting the Earth on April 13th, 2029.

http://www.yubanet.com/artman/publish/article_16549.shtml

http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/ip?2.2e-02

eek

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#201850 12/26/04 03:59 AM
Y
Top Banana
Top Banana
Y
I've read that it is a 1/300 chance of it hitting Earth, so chances are that it probably won't even hit. Plus, but 2029, I'd like to believe our technology will be good enough to do something to the asteroid if it were to hit.
I wouldn't start planning for doom and gloom in 24 years yet.

- Laura smile

Laura "The Yellow Dart" U. (Alicia U. on the archive)

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve
#201851 12/26/04 04:29 AM
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
That was the original assessment, yeah... though I believe it's been upgraded to about a one in 45 chance. Still extremely unlikely, though, and you're right, with 25 years lead time we'll probably manage to find something to take care of the problem before it's too late.

It's just that whole "life imitating art" thing that got my interest... smile

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#201852 12/29/04 03:06 PM
Y
Top Banana
Top Banana
Y
Just as an update, the asteroid hitting the earth has been ruled out for 2029.

- Laura

Laura "The Yellow Dart" U. (Alicia U. on the archive)

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve
#201853 01/01/05 08:43 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
thumbsup

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.
#201854 01/01/05 08:55 AM
Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
I'm just as happy about that. I'll be 81 when that would have happened -- not exactly the age best suited for trying to survive a post impact world. :rolleyes:

Nan

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
#201855 01/01/05 02:26 PM
MLT Offline
Merriwether
Merriwether
Hmmm. Well, twenty four years. I'd be 66. And since I plan on dropping dead on my sixtieth birthday (just like my grandmother did and my mom almost did), I guess I won't worry about it. (There are certain benefits to planning on dying young)

wave

She was in such a good mood she let all the pedestrians in the crosswalk get to safety before taking off again.
- CC Aiken, The Late Great Lois Lane
#201856 01/01/05 03:46 PM
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Ah, that's reassuring smile Thanks, Laura, for the link!

PJ

"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#201857 02/18/07 02:53 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Just saw something on AOL news when I went to check email. Looks like there's yet another one (isn't there always?), this one due in 2036. They're listing the odds, however, at 1/45,000, according to the article .

What I find interesting, especially having just seen that old SG-1 ep with the giant naqahdah-filled asteroid), is that this one has been named.... Apophis.

Dum-dum-dummmmmm!

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
#201858 02/18/07 03:17 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yeah, I did a spread on it in October for my fake science magazine that I had to make for Studio I class. 2029 and 2036 are actually the same asteroid, according to the real Sky & Telescope magazine (as opposed to my own magazine lol). Scientists are particularly worried about the flyby on April 13th, that people mentioned two years ago. If the flyby is close enough, the asteroid will get pulled into a gravitational keyhole which would officially put the asteroid on a trajectory towards Earth for 2036.

Bum bum bum!
JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#201859 02/18/07 03:49 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Still almost 30 years to go until then, don't worry guys. That gives us a few years to wait for a space ship from Krypton to arrive here shock

All kidding aside, our solar system currently travels through the denser parts of the milky way and a greater chance for impacts is expectable. I even read an article about some pessimistic scientists who speak of an almost guaranteed hit within a few hundred years from now. If we haven't wiped out ourselves until then we'll surely have some counteragents ready, right?

#201860 02/18/07 06:28 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
I did some mental calculations and (yes, I know I'm a geek) April 13, 2029 would be a Saturday. One day off from passing by on Friday the thirteenth of April.

Yeah, I was thinking that if the earth survives until then, (including advancement of technology) scientists should, if there's nothing better, be able to send up a remote-controlled satellite to bump it off course. Like Superman could have pushed it off course.

I think, therefore, I get bananas.

When in doubt, think about time travel conundrums. You'll confuse yourself so you can forget what you were in doubt about.

What's the difference between ignorance, apathy, and ambivalence?
I don't know and I don't care one way or the other.
#201861 02/18/07 09:45 PM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
There was something on the news yesterday about them currently tracking something like 145 NEOs that could have the potential to hit us. But that all you would have to do is hit the asteroid several times, nudging it off course by a fraction each time, and in ten years you'd have nudged it enough that it would miss us completely.

Or something like that. <g> Anyway, we have Bruce Willis, so that's okay. wink

And ROTFL, Paul! Ominous, indeed!

ETA: Here it is, I found the article from yesterday on the BBC news website:

A draft UN treaty to determine what would have to be done if a giant asteroid was on a collision course with Earth is to be drawn up this year.

The document would set out global policies including who should be in charge of plans to deflect any object.

It is the brainchild of the Association of Space Explorers, a professional body for astronauts and cosmonauts.

At the moment, Nasa is monitoring 127 near-Earth objects (NEO) that have a possibility of hitting the Earth.

The association has asked a group of scientists, lawyers, diplomats and insurance experts to draw up the recommendations.

The group will have its first meeting in Strasbourg in May this year. It is hoped the final document will be presented to the UN in 2009.

"We believe there needs to be a decision process spelled out and adopted by the United Nations," said Dr Russell Schweickart, one of the Apollo 9 astronauts and founder of the Association of Space Explorers.

The threat of an asteroid hitting the Earth is being taken more and more seriously as more and more NEOs are found.

In the US, Congress has charged Nasa with the task of starting a more detailed search for life-threatening space rocks.

"Congress has said that Nasa's efforts to date are not sufficient to the threat," said the US space agency's Dr Steven Chesley.

"They have changed Nasa's targets so that the cataloguing and tracking of asteroids is part of its mandate."

Congress has asked the agency to mount a much more aggressive survey.

At the moment, Nasa tracks all objects greater than 700m (2,300ft) in diameter. The agency's new goal is to track all objects greater than 70m (230ft) in diameter.

To do this, the agency needs to use a new suite of telescopes.

Alternatives include building a new Nasa-owned system or investing in other proposed telescopes such as the Large Synoptic Survey Telescope (LSST) or the Panoramic Survey Telescope & Rapid Response System (Pan-Starrs).

Pan-Starrs is a wide-field telescope being developed at the University of Hawaii, whilst the LSST is a proposed ground-based instrument being developed by the not-for-profit LSST corporation based in the US.

Nasa estimates that there are about 20,000 potentially threatening asteroids yet to be discovered.

"Out of those thousands, there will be without question many that look like they might hit the Earth with a high enough probability that the public and everyone else will be concerned," said Dr Schweickart.

"This has gone from being an esoteric statistical argument to talking about real events," added Dr David Morrison, an astronomer at the Nasa's Ames Research Center.

The UN draft treaty would establish who should be in charge in the event of an asteroid heading towards Earth, who would pay for relief efforts and the policies that should be adopted.

In addition, it would set out possible plans to deflect the object.

Ideas could include hitting the asteroid with a spacecraft or rocket to deflect its orbit.

Other less destructive proposals include a "gravity tug" that would simply hover over the asteroid and use gravity as a "towline" to change its path.

But any decision to deflect an NEO could come with its own set of conundrums for the UN, as changing its path may simply alter its final target.

"It's important to understand when you start to deflect an asteroid that certain countries are going to have accept an increase in risk to their populations in order to take the risk to zero for everyone," said Dr Schweickart.

It is difficult decisions like this which can only be addressed by the UN, the Association of Space Explorers believes.

And it is under no illusion that the process can be sorted out quickly.

"You have to act when things look like they are going to happen - if you wait until you know for certain, it's too late," said Dr Schweickart.

Experts who will draw up the treaty include Lord Rees, the English Astronomer Royal and head of the Royal Society; the ex-director of science at the European Space Agency, Roger Bonnet; and former UK government advisor Sir Crispin Tickell.

The proposals were outlined at the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) annual meeting in San Francisco, US.
There was no mention, btw, in the televised report about certain countries having to be sacrificed to save the rest of the world!

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#201862 02/18/07 09:52 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I have faith in Superman having arrived in real life by then wink

I love the smell of fear in the newsroom.
#201863 02/18/07 10:46 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
The threat will eventually become real. It's just a matter of time. Quite possibly thousands or even millions of years. But, sitting here at the edge of the Gulf of Mexico, I'm hardly in a position to deny that an asteroid strike could be a real danger to the world.

I haven't looked into this in a while, but last I heard, there was compelling evidence for the theory that the dinosaurs were wiped out when a giant asteroid collided with the Earth. The dust cloud from that impact changed the global climate, wiping out a large portion of life on Earth.

Furthermore, if you put the continents back together to form pangea, there's a neat little circle in the middle, formed by the Gulf of Mexico, the Carribean Sea, and the northwestern coast of Africa.

A shallow circular bowl in the middle of a giant landmass. There's a decent chance that I am, right now, sitting on the edge of the crater formed by the impact of an asteroid roughly the size of Manhattan.

But yeah... nudging it gradually out of the way sounds like a good option. Much more sensible than a lot of what you see in fiction, but that's not surprising. Nudging it over the course of a decade isn't nearly as exciting as blowing it up or taking it through hyperspace or whatever at the last possible second.

As for endangering some countries... that sounds kind of silly to me, if I'm understanding it right. But it's politics. What can you do?

Basically, unless I'm misinterpreting the comment, what he's saying is that if you alter the asteroid's course, you're going to change its impact site. So... maybe it's headed for L.A. (Given its current path, the current path of the Earth, the rotation of the Earth, the gravitational effects of the moon and other objects, etc, the impact would occur there.) The plan is to nudge it out of the way, so that it won't hit the Earth at all. But... it's going to take several nudges.

So now it's time to plan the first nudge. In what direction are we going to nudge it? How much? They do the math. They come up with a plan. They send the explosives out there. They nudge it. This changes the path of the asteroid, but only slightly. It's still going to hit Earth, but now it's going to hit NYC.

This is not actually a problem. Because, according to the plan, we're not actually going to let it hit at all. But the point is that if things go wrong from here on out - if the next nudge missions miss or don't get launched or whatever - the asteroid will hit NYC instead of LA because of our actions.

Which is a silly thing to worry about, since the strike would have global impact in any case and the object is to avoid it entirely, but there it is.

We're going to nudge it again. This nudge will shift the asteroid's path a little more. According to predictions, after this nudge, the asteroid will be heading for Berlin. This means that, after this next step, central Europe will be in the most danger. Effects on the US will be secondary. If the asteroid stays on its course after this nudge. Which is not the plan. But, if things go wrong after the second mission, the fact is that the asteroid will hit Europe instead of the US. Because of our actions.

We'll continue to nudge it out of the way until everyone is safe, of course, but the next intermediate step will temporarily increase the danger to Germany and neighboring countries. And some of the people there, particularly the politicians, are shouting their disapproval.

It's only an intermediate phase of a larger plan. The plan that will most safely, effectively, and efficiently solve the entire problem. But people are going to make trouble anyway, because that's what people do. It's the NIMBY problem again. Sure, we all know that we need the garbage dump and the power plant and the waste treatment plant and all that. They have to be somewhere in order for civilization as we know it to function. But wherever you try to put them, the people who live nearby are going to stand up and shout "Not In My Back Yard!!"

Same idea here, except that it's not even that bad. We're not talking about actual losses or any permanent effects. We're just talking about moving the theoretical impact point over and away, bit by bit. It has to be done gradually. We'll keep doing it until we're sure that the asteroid is going to give us all a wide berth. But until that last step, there's still a chance of impact somewhere on the globe, and where that target gets (temporarily) painted next is going to end up being a matter of politics.

Stupid, really, but what can you do?

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
#201864 02/19/07 01:41 AM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
As for that asteroid threat... yes, it could happen. Eventually, it will happen. But believe me, I check out astronomical websites every day, and I hadn't even heard of the 2029 asteroid. Trust me, if the threat had been real, the astronomy websites would have been full of it.

As a matter of fact, I have read at least two or three astronomical articles pointing out that there have been several "asteroid scares" in the media in recent years, but they have all been false alarms. The reason for this is that NASA have apparently decided that you will never be able to accuse them of keeping any secrets from the public. So, when they detect a tiny object out there moving in the general direction of the Earth, they go public right away and say something like, "We have detected an asteroid on an Earth-crossing orbit, and our estimate is that there is a one in 300 chance that it could collide with the Earth in 2029." Okay, but that is their estimate a day or so after they have detected that piece of rock. Give them another day, or better yet, give them a week, and they will come back and say that the asteroid constitutes no threat to the Earth. The reason is that space is huge, the orbits the earth and the asteroids trace out are very, very big, too, and the sizes of the earth and the asteroids are unbelievably tiny compared to the sizes of their orbits. For an asteroid to actually hit the earth, the shape and size of the earth's orbit and the asteroid's orbit must be incredibly well matched, and then the earth and the asteroid must move at precisely the speed that will bring them to exactly the same spot in space simultaneously, so that they collide. For anything big enough to actually damage the earth if there is a collision, the chances that the earth's and the asteroid's paths through space will match up so precisely in the foreseeable future is very close to zero. Really, people, that is the way it is.

Yes, sooner or later something will collide with the earth. But no, no one has detected this killer asteroid yet. And chances are that nothing major will hit the earth for, say, another million years.

So when you hear that astronomers have detected an asteroid that may collide with the earth in 2029, 2073, 2124 or even 2015, keep your cool and wait for a few more days, until the astronomers have determined the asteroid's orbit more precisely. When they have, you can bet your boots that the asteroid threat will have gone away. Of course, chances are that the tabloids which print the news about the asteroid scare will be much less willing to tell us that there is no danger of a collision after all.

Ann

#201865 02/19/07 12:46 PM
Kerth
Kerth
Anyone interested in this will probably find the Spaceguard sites interesting

http://spaceguard.esa.int/

http://www.spaceguarduk.com/

The UK one has a very clear explanation of the way in which the odds of a hit are calculated. Reading the news page there, we don't appear to be in any immediate danger.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard