Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#201793 12/20/04 09:09 AM
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
I seem to remember we had a discussion about this, a few months ago, so when I saw this: http://www.popvssoda.com/countystats/total-county.html I just had to share <g> It's a graphical representation of which parts of the country tend to use pop, soda, or coke as a generic term for soft drinks. smile

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#201794 12/20/04 09:18 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Very interesting data!

Not to throw in any controversy, but I wonder what the results would be if they did the survey along racial lines. In my experience, more of my white counterparts use "soda", as opposed to my black and latino counterparts who use "pop".

I actually had a white friend ask me if I had a soda, and I brought her a box of Arm & Hammer! :rolleyes: Temporary brain freeze, I know, but that's where my mind goes when I hear that word.

Clark: "Lois, you know, I really hope someday that you learn, that sometimes what it seems like people are doing isn't what they're really doing."
Lois: "What are you, a fortune cookie?"
#201795 12/20/04 09:22 AM
Y
Top Banana
Top Banana
Y
I don't think it is a racial thing -- at least in Cleveland. White, black, Chinese, Indian, Japanese, etc. Everyone I know says 'pop' -- and that map thing says that over 80% of Cuyahoga county agrees with me (although i have no idea if it is a real scientific poll).

- Laura smile

Laura "The Yellow Dart" U. (Alicia U. on the archive)

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve
#201796 12/20/04 09:50 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Definitely would say it's not a racial thing IMO. I'm from Western NY originally, and we *always* said "pop," I don't think I hardly *ever* heard anyone say "soda." Now that I live in TN, I find that about half of the people say "pop" and half say "soda." My impression always was that "pop" was a northern thing. Fascinating though how different the little things can be throughout the country. smile

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." Chris Reeve

"Whatever comes our way, whatever battle we have raging inside us, we always have a choice. It's the choices that make us who we are, and we can always choose to do what's right." Peter Parker

DON'T DOUBT THE ROUTH
#201797 12/20/04 10:58 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Fascinating indeed. I clicked on my state (Alabama), and what can I say? They've nailed down my county better than I can. It's all "Coke." Although, I will say, my dad's from Brooklyn and Queens (yeah, kind of a culture shock for him down here), and I don't think I've ever heard him say pop. Soda, yes, pop, no.

JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#201798 12/20/04 11:43 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
They got Ulster County, NY down pat. Soda, all the way.

Growing up where I did, I remember I always thought "pop" sounded so childish whenever I would hear it. I used to think "soda" was much more sophisticated. lol. I'll bet all the "pop"-sayers thought we "soda"-folk were just being pretentious.

- Vicki

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
#201799 12/20/04 02:00 PM
E
Columnist
Columnist
E
It's definitely "pop" in Minnesota and most of the upper Midwest as well, I'm pretty sure. The only people who say "soda" here are usually non-natives.

Of course, you could just go with Coke or Pepsi.

I believe there's a hero in all of us that keeps us honest, gives us strength, makes us noble, and finally allows us to die with pride, even though sometimes we have to be steady and give up the thing we want the most. Even our dreams. -- Aunt May, Spider-Man 2
#201800 12/21/04 05:17 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Hm, too bad this doesn't extend into Canada! I always thought that 'pop' was more of a Canadian thing and 'soda' was American, but I guess not! My cousin from Boonton, NJ has always used soda as far as I could remember, and so do my relatives from...somewhere in New York, I can't remember. That's my 2c! But up here, in Toronto, we all (or at least all the people I know goofy ) use 'pop'!

Mirage smile

Clark: You're really high maintenance, aren't you?

Lois: Yes, but I'm worth it!
#201801 12/23/04 05:23 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Here in Winnipeg, they just built the new MTS Centre (to replace our old Winnipeg Arena). They have sign advertising drinks - "soda pop" and "pop". People are like WHAT! That is soooo American. Soft drink is used here and every CDN I know, not just in WPG, uses that term.

It's like the whole sneaker/runner thing...

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.
#201802 12/24/04 06:00 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Canadians in Manitoba say 'soft drink'? Whoa! That's what I've always called it, but thought it was a UK/Euro thing only - any Canadians we've encountered in Ontario say 'pop'. Fascinating!

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
#201803 12/30/04 08:23 AM
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
Well --
My parents always said "soft drinks" (they were from Saskatchewan)
but my siblings and I all say pop here in Toronto...
And now, lately I noticed that my own kids say "soda" a lot more often than they say "pop". Perhaps its also an age thing.

Allie

#201804 12/30/04 01:03 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
I thought 'soft drink' was the official name.

As in, Q: What do you call soft drinks where you live? A: We say 'pop' (or 'soda', or whatever).

Also, on menus they are usually listed as Soft Drinks.

At least where I grew up, it was perfectly acceptable to call them soft drinks, although it was more common to just say soda.

- Vicki

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
#201805 12/30/04 01:31 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
When my cousin came back to Oregon after living in New England & Puerto Rico for 5 years, she had adopted the term "soda" and would correct me whenever I said "pop" so often that I ALWAYS say "soda" now. And it looks like I'm the only one in this state who does, well according to that map! wink No wonder I get weird looks sometimes. smile

Molly
#201806 12/31/04 09:50 AM
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
I'm also from TN, but live in Chattanooga near the GA line. I find that a lot of older people say "pop", but all of my friends say "soda" or "Coke". Now, if you go to the downtown restaurants, you'll hear "Do ya'll want Coke? Ok, what kind?" -like Coke means soft drink or something. I think that's a southern thing, however.

Sarah

[Lucius is trying to get his wife to tell him wear his Super suit is in 'The Incredibles']
Lucius Best: This is about the greater good!
Honey Best: I'm your wife! I'm the greatest good you're ever going to get!
#201807 12/31/04 12:25 PM
D
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
D
Originally posted by TennesseeTycoon:
Now, if you go to the downtown restaurants, you'll hear "Do ya'll want Coke? Ok, what kind?" -like Coke means soft drink or something. I think that's a southern thing, however.
Maybe they do really mean what "kind of coke?"
There's what? 20 different varieties now?
Regular, Cherry, Vanilla, Diet, Diet Vanilla, Diet lemon...

I always laugh when I hear people over generalise brand names. For instance, all lemonade is 'Sprite'.

Down here we use 'Soft Drink' too, the only people who use 'soda' or 'pop' are tourists.

'I just kind of died for you;
You just kind of stared at me'
- Aurora, Foo Fighters

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard