Print Thread
#201623 11/30/04 03:04 PM
D
Dave Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
D
To be precise, I really should have slipped 'Rugby League' into the subject line, but this is more of a general question for any sporting buff.

The Australian Rugby side, originally named the Kangaroos, just trounced the USA Tomahawks in the Liberty Bell Cup.

I'd like to say we slaughtered them, but it was a narrow game until the end, with a final score of 36-24.

But, that's getting off track, during the match references to Astro Turf kept popping up, so, my question is what is Astro turf?

'I just kind of died for you;
You just kind of stared at me'
- Aurora, Foo Fighters
#201624 11/30/04 03:15 PM
Y
Top Banana
Top Banana
Y
Huh, I didn't know the US had a rugby team! When I see football, first I think American Football, then soccer (which should be first since I used to play!). Anyway . . .

I do know what Astro-turf is. We have it on the high school football field where I have worked since I was a kid. It's a type of artificial grass. It feels kind like plastic, it's really hard, and when you fall on it, you get carpet burn (coming from the girl who still has scars from high school soccer!). But it is really easy to take care of, and it drains really well when it rains or snows. The difference in playing soccer on turf vs. grass is that the ball rolls a lot faster. You can't wear cleats -- there are special kinds of turf shoes. And it's really hard on your legs. I still blame the turf for my stress fracture.

It is called Astroturf because it was first used in the Houston Astrodome.

- Laura

Laura "The Yellow Dart" U. (Alicia U. on the archive)

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve
#201625 11/30/04 04:31 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Well when I saw the heading I thought of Aussie Rules Football. I don't consider Rugby football. I sometimes call soccer football, usually call Aussie rules football footy, rugby's rugby and american football is gridiron.

As to your question David, Astroturf is what we call synthetic grass. A lot of hockey is played on synthetic grass, and you might see the occasional tennis court with s.grass.

when you fall on it, you get carpet burn
Yep, know the feeling. Luckily s.grass is hardly used here smile

Avatar: Michael Clarke, awesome Aussie cricket player
#201626 11/30/04 08:47 PM
D
Dave Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
D
Ah, thanks for the info Laura smile

It sounds like it'd have a massive impact on the game. Carpet burn sounds nasty, but there should be less fumbling after the rain - no mud right?

Do you consider Rugby Union or Rugby League to be 'Rugby', Fearless?

The way I know it is that Rugby Union is Rugby, Aussie Rules football is AFL (Australian Football League) - or "aerial ping-pong" to those of us who can't stand it, and Rugby League is called Football or NRL (National Rugby League). Soccer is soccer, and American Football is 'that whimpy sport with all the padding' - or gridion laugh

'I just kind of died for you;
You just kind of stared at me'
- Aurora, Foo Fighters
#201627 11/30/04 08:57 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
David, being from WA I have absolutely no interest in rubgy, league or union. So they are both rugby to me. smile I'll watch the occasional rugby game when Australia are playing, just because it's Australia playing sport laugh but I just can't get into it, I really don't like the game.
aerial ping-pong"
lol, I haven't heard that very often.
'that whimpy sport with all the padding'
hehee very true.

Avatar: Michael Clarke, awesome Aussie cricket player
#201628 12/01/04 12:30 AM
D
Dave Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
D