Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#201380 11/04/04 04:36 AM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Commentators! That was the word I was looking for earlier! <g>

And, thanks, Kathy - I see. I wonder then if she's missed the boat. I think there was a point where she had the sympathy vote, wasn't there? At least, I kind of got that impression. But that's long gone, I think. Lost an advantage there. wink

And I agree absolutely about Kerry. I deplore the modern political trend which says you can only be voted into office if you look good and have a charismatic speaking personality. Which isn't a trait only held by Americans. Makes you wonder how many great leaders we would have missed out on if that had held true centuries back. :rolleyes: But, it's a sad truth of today's world and I guess you have to pander to the superficiality of it...or you get nowhere.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#201381 11/04/04 05:51 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
you can only be voted into office if you look good and have a charismatic speaking personality.
Oh, I think we're a little more discerning than that. I love Dubya, but he's not especially handsome and while he has his moments, he's not a great speaker smile And don't get me started on the debates... :rolleyes:

And if a sparkling personality was required, Al Gore would never have gotten as far as he did... goofy

For what it's worth, on the conservative side of punditry, it's been assumed for years that Hillary intends to run -- actually, there was speculation for a while that the Clintons were actually hoping Kerry would lose, or even subtly sabotaging the campaign, so Hillary would have a clearer shot at 2008. They think a lot of her votes have been a conscious effort to build her image. But what do they know? huh

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#201382 11/04/04 07:24 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
actually, there was speculation for a while that the Clintons were actually hoping Kerry would lose, or even subtly sabotaging the campaign, so Hillary would have a clearer shot at 2008. They think a lot of her votes have been a conscious effort to build her image. But what do they know?
I think 'they' are onto something. The timing of Bill Clinton's life saving bypass surgery was just a little too convenient to my way of thinking. The campaign gets hot and where is he? Out lending a hand? Rallying the base? Nooooo! He's in the hospital. "Recovering."

Whatever that means.

And, really, if you look, you can see the hand of Hillary in it. She was the one who just stood there and watched him eat all those cheeseburgers.

Diabolical.

(Ok. I'm just playing. That was too juicy to resist.)

Actually, read a really interesting article today proposing the ideal candidate for the Dems to run in '08 was...Gore. Was quite surprised and intrigued by that idea.

I do have my eye on Obama, though. I think he's our future rockstar.

CC

You mean we're supposed to have lives?

Oh crap!

~Tank
#201383 11/04/04 08:39 AM
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
I just found this out.

No matter how I feel about their politics, the Edwards need our prayers.

Edwards\' Wife Has Breast Cancer

James

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
#201384 11/04/04 09:21 AM
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
Despite my own disappointment at Kerry's loss, you have to wonder if the loss is actually a blessing in disguise for the Edwards. Say what you will, but the stress of going from the campaign trail to the V.P. position and dealing with breast cancer would be a lot to deal with at once.

Other than that, I'm being quiet about politics. The rest of the my life is spent analyzing politics and current events. This is one of the few places I have to escape that sometimes depressing reality, and I'd like to keep it that way.

Cheers,
Elle

Elle Roberts

She's a dancer who doesn't dance. He's a painter who doesn't paint. It's like a bohemian version of the Island of Misfit Toys. – “Igby Goes Down”
#201385 11/04/04 09:58 PM
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
My husband and I were trying to wonder at the possibility of a Clinton/Obama ticket in 2008. It'd be a long shot, but I'd be on board.
Uh-uh.

Clinton is fiercely hated and running her just insures that El Smirk's brother Jeb get's a shot at the White House.

Also, Obama would be in the middle of his first term as a US Senator. Way too soon for him - try more 2016 or 2020.

Four more years of Shrub...gah.

"Let us remember that there is a creative force in this universe, working to pull down the gigantic mountains of evil, a power that is able to make a way out of no way and trasform dark yesterdays into bright tomorrows. Let us realize the arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice."
-- Martin Luther King Jr.
#201386 11/05/04 08:21 AM
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
Check this site out: www.sorryeverybody.com

Warning: Some Bush supporters may not like the site, although the site is only expressing the feelings of 48% of US voting population. There is nothing ridiculing Bush last time I checked.

Simba

Check out my social-networking game I created just for FoLCs: http://folc.mindkin.com
#201387 11/05/04 10:31 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Well, 48% are unhappy but 51% are happy. I guess its just not 51% of the L&C community.

I also appreciated John Kerry's speech and hope that the democrats can meet the President half way. We are still one country, inspite of the recent rumor I heard that North wishes the South would cecede wink

I also don't think Hilary can get the nomination. With Iowa, and So. Carolina (I think, or was it No. Carolina) being so early on the primary ballots, it would be an uphill battle for the nomination. However, it would be interesting. I think that the USA is still not ready for a woman president, IMHO. Would the democrats take that risk? It would be brave.

I appreciate the PTB letting this thread exist and hope everyone will remain considerate of others and their views.

#201388 11/05/04 11:28 AM
E
Columnist
Columnist
E
It depends on who the Republicans pick for the nominee.

I'd rather see John Edwards get the Democratic nomination. And no, I didn't vote for Bush because I'm worried about the quality of jobs in the US.

If all the jobs that we gain end up being Walmart and McDonald's jobs, what are those of us with college degrees supposed to do for a living? Go to India? My dream was to work in IT, but I don't think that's going to happen anytime soon. How can I get experience in IT if all the entry-level grunt work is being shipped overseas? I have a year or so of experience doing web development. Two years if you count volunteering. I was laid off from my dream job doing Cold Fusion web development two years ago. During that time I've had to temp and do boring administrative work.

My dad went to India this summer because the company he works for is outsourcing mechanical engineers. Not software engineers, but regular engineers -- drafters and such. My boss went there because our company is outsourcing customer service.

And I'm still a perma-temp because my company has a hiring freeze that will probably last until the end of the year. My boss wants to hire me permanently, but he can't get HR to approve it. While there have been some jobs posted in the want ads locally, they are still mostly temporary jobs. Yeah, the US added some jobs in October, but a lot of them were minimum-wage jobs.

I hope that Bush will remove the incentive for companies to outsource jobs. The fact that it's only starting to really recover from 9/11 now doesn't speak that well for our president.

grumble

I believe there's a hero in all of us that keeps us honest, gives us strength, makes us noble, and finally allows us to die with pride, even though sometimes we have to be steady and give up the thing we want the most. Even our dreams. -- Aunt May, Spider-Man 2
#201389 11/05/04 12:01 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Simba, I haven't been able to get that page to open, I guess its servers are busy -- I saw some of the pictures, though, on another site, with captions. Of course, Kerry supporters might not like that one...
[edit -- link removed for over-snarkiness]

Well, 48% are unhappy but 51% are happy. I guess its just not 51% of the L&C community.
That minority of us who are disgustingly happy are trying to restrain our glee in public goofy

As for early primaries, I assure you it's *not* North Carolina; we're one of the last states to vote in the primaries, so by the time it gets to us, there isn't any meaningful choice anymore. Help, I'm being disenfranchised! wink Now we see the violence inherent in the system...

PJ
who is feeling good smile
for those few who don't get it, that last line or two was a joke

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#201390 11/05/04 01:11 PM
K
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
K
I saw some of the pictures, though, on another site , with captions. Of course, Kerry supporters might not like that one...
I'm trying really hard not to overreact here, but I don't see why anyone would like that site, Kerry supporters or not. "We don't agree with you, so let's pass nasty judgments on your physical appearance and whether or not you're worth having sex with." That's mature... And this is supposed to convince people to come around to their way of thinking? huh

Kaylle

#201391 11/05/04 01:37 PM
E
Columnist
Columnist
E
I'm trying really hard not to overreact here, but I don't see why anyone would like that site, Kerry supporters or not.
I supported Kerry and I don't like that web site. Everyone who is eligible to vote has the right to vote for whoever they want to in the US. Let's get the election behind us and work towards a better future, rather than contributing to the political divide.

I believe there's a hero in all of us that keeps us honest, gives us strength, makes us noble, and finally allows us to die with pride, even though sometimes we have to be steady and give up the thing we want the most. Even our dreams. -- Aunt May, Spider-Man 2
#201392 11/06/04 08:48 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Sorry about that, guys. CC has made me see the errors of my ways, and... nope, sorry, CC, not even for you will I volunteer to go door to door for Hillary <g>

I did get carried away a little, though, and I apologize for all ill-feelings that resulted. Thanks for being bigger human beings than me and not flaming back.

On a (hopefully) funnier note -- you may want to check out "20 reasons not to post your picture on the Internet." It's totally non-political, and should provide a few laughs.

PJ

"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#201393 11/06/04 09:00 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
and... nope, sorry, CC, not even for you will I volunteer to go door to door for Hillary <g>
Of course I didn't mean right away, Pam. I still have to get TEEEJ on board!

CC

You mean we're supposed to have lives?

Oh crap!

~Tank
#201394 11/06/04 09:17 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
If you're still reading the political news, you're seeing AP articles like these:
Group Finds Voting Irregularities in South...Among their preliminary findings, the group listed a shortage of early voting locations in Duval County, Fla., the largest county in Florida in area and voting-age population, the failure of electronic voting machines in three South Carolina counties, and the loss of votes at a North Carolina precinct when too much information was stored on a computer unit...In Florida, monitors said they observed prospective voters leaving polling places when they saw long lines for last week's early voting. Faulty equipment and sub-par facilities in some poor neighborhoods also contributed to possible voter disenfranchisement, they said..."In one case, sprinklers came on while people were waiting to vote and the poll workers didn't know how to turn them off," said Alma Ayala, who monitored voting in St. Petersburg, Fla.
and
Machine Error Gives Bush Extra Ohio Votes...An error with an electronic voting system gave President Bush 3,893 extra votes in suburban Columbus, elections officials said. Franklin County's unofficial results had Bush receiving 4,258 votes to Democrat John Kerry's 260 votes in a precinct in Gahanna. Records show only 638 voters cast ballots in that precinct. Bush's total should have been recorded as 365...
On a personal note: my son, a college student, received a message on his cell phone that told him he could call a particular number to get the address of where he was to vote. Although he'd voted in the primary and knew exactly where he was to vote, since he'd heard that ballots cast at the wrong location would not be accepted and counted he called the number to check if the data he would have been given was correct. It wasn't.

I can't address the AP articles, but I have made a formal complaint about the intentional misinformation.

#201395 11/06/04 09:35 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yes, I've heard some of those stories, too -- my grandmother's area had people calling seniors telling them they couldn't vote... and I'm not a bit surprised to hear about problems with new electronic voting machines, either. That kinda stuff happens, I suppose, but it's a disgrace, no matter which side is doing it.

Hope you get some results from your complaint, Ethnica!

PJ

"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#201396 11/06/04 11:22 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
That's a scream, Pam! Thanks! rotflol

A diabolically, fiendishly clever mind. Possibly someone evil enough to take over the world. CC Aiken, Can You Guess the Writer? challenge
#201397 11/07/04 03:55 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I just saw a page with exit poll results - it makes interesting reading.
http://www.beliefnet.com/story/155/story_15546_1.html

Mere

A diabolically, fiendishly clever mind. Possibly someone evil enough to take over the world. CC Aiken, Can You Guess the Writer? challenge
#201398 11/07/04 04:59 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yes, exit polls are interesting to browse. There are more available at CNN.com. They have the national polls and you can also get state-by-state results and polls off their US Presidential Election Homepage.

I was looking throught the polls last night. As you say, a very interesting read.

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
#201399 11/08/04 05:31 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
The thing that frustrates me about those sorts of polls is that (like our own poll section) the multiple-choice questions never contain all the choices. Or leave them very undefined, anyway.

[rant]Pundits will be weeks talking about what "moral values" means... and I'm not sure they'll ever sort it out because I strongly suspect it means different things to different people. Is it gay marriage, abortion, prayer in schools...? Those overlap a lot, of course, but we don't know by how much, or which are more important, since that's not part of the question.

I'm signed up with a polling company (thanks, Wendy! goofy ? What if the pollsters assume I want to be a good little citizen of the UN and am just woefully uninformed? [/rant]

I guess I don't have a point here <g> and don't intend to argue any of those issues... I'm just frustrated about certain poll questions, and therefore, I'm skeptical of poll results.

PJ

"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard