I found this article in my local paper... thought it was interesting.

New Superman

There are certain things that are quintessentially british. Fish and chips, the Queen, a nice cup of tea -- and Superman.

You may be thinking the last son of Krypton landed on US soil in a place called smallville but you are wrong. He did not really crash land in the American Midwest, it has emerged, but in Weston-Super-Mare. More famous for seaside donkeys than caped heroes, the quaint Somerset town is actually the spiritual home for Superman, according to a new comic book from the legendary DC Comics.

The trouble is an all-American name like Clark Kent is going to raise too many eyebrows down the local Tesco. [Supermarket, which also runs some convenience stores]

So the infant Man of Steel's adoptive parents, the Clarks, decide to call him Colin -- far more fitting for a british lad.

Despite the different surroundings, Colin still grows up to be a mild-mannered reporter and joins sleazy tabloid the Daily Smear. The newspaper is dedicated to breaking the story of the century -- uncovering Superman's identity.

The comic book, Superman: True Brit, was written by Kim 'Howard' Johnson, and Weston-born Monty Python star John Cleese. Mr Johnson said: 'This is Superman, even if it is this goofy Johnson-Cleese version. I thought it was good to get a new, reader friendly look. We want people who have never read a comic to pick this up and be drawn in.'

The 96-page book is due to be released next month.