Next Thread
Print Thread
#201125 10/12/04 03:24 PM
sandrad Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
wave Hi all!

Since I'm a newbie LCfic reader, I was just wondering what FDK and WHAM stands for.

Thanks!
Mirage

Clark: You're really high maintenance, aren't you?

Lois: Yes, but I'm worth it!
#201126 10/12/04 03:29 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi Mirage smile

FDK is a classic FoLC fanfic abbreviation, coined by Hazel in one of her fics, The Ultimate Drug . Do read it - it's short and very funny. (Incidentally, FDK actually stands for 'feedback' wink ).

A WHAM is something painful or horrible happening to our favourite characters. I've seen a couple of different interpretations of the acronym: it's either Wrenching, Hurtful, Agonising Moment, or Wistful, Hurting, Agonising Moment (something along those lines, anyway!)

Hope this helps.

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
#201127 10/12/04 03:35 PM
Columnist
Columnist
Hi wave

FDK is feedback. There was a fic written by the very talented Hazel a while back and the term just stuck. The Ultimate Drug

I don't remember exactly what the letters in WHAM stand for, but the term basically means a part in a story that evokes strong feelings, probably making you cry or want to cry. Somebody else might be able to give you a better, more exact definition.

I know there's a list of what all the accronyms mean, but I'm not sure where it is. Hopefully someone remembers and will post the link.

~Anna

#201128 10/12/04 04:05 PM
sandrad Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Oh, that was so clever! I really liked the fic. smile1

Thanks Wendy & Anna...but now I'm confused: what's the difference between a tank plot and a WHAM then?

Mirage

#201129 10/12/04 05:34 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Mirage, do you mean a Tank Ending? The best way to explain that is to send you here , where the originator of the Tank Ending, Tank Wilson himself, explains what they're all about.

In summary, though, a Tank Ending is not intended to be taken seriously and is not actually part of a story. It's a fake 'death and destruction' ending, intended to be funny.

Oh, and by the way: since you liked Hazel's story, did you feed her FDK addiction? goofy

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
#201130 10/12/04 06:31 PM
K
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
K
Mirage,

I found this link...it's rather outdated and I'm not sure if this folc (Buvana Padhman)is still active in the fandom, but she left her site up, so I figure it's fair game. laugh
THE L&C ACRONYM LIST

Below are some arconyms more relevant to fic. goofy

MBs = Message Boards
WIP = Work in Progress
WaFF = warm and fuzzy feelings (often used as an adjective...it's a very waffy story wink )
ToC = Table of Contents
TE = Tank Ending

If you have questions about others, just ask! thumbsup

Sara

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

#201131 10/13/04 01:40 AM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
And while we're on the subject, someone asked me what PWP stands for, after reading Shape Of My Heart.

It means "Plot? What Plot?" otherwise known as "Plot? We don' need no stinkin' plot!" (obligatory bad Mexican accent to be used there). wink

It hails from the early days of the fandom, but was mostly used over in nfic to described short romps where LNC just had fun and there was no aplot (well no plot at all really as the term suggests goofy ) to get in the way.

Transferring over to the gfic sides in later years, it denotes a waffy vignette with no aplot.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#201132 10/15/04 11:26 AM
sandrad Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
goofy ).

And yes, I'll remember to feed authors' FDK addictions from now on!

Thanks so much! Happy reading/writing, everyone!

Mirage

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard