Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#201076 10/10/04 06:35 PM
Wendymr Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Breaking news on CNN and other sites says that Christopher Reeve died suddenly today at the age of 52. frown

He was not my favourite Clark Kent/Superman, but I had a huge amount of respect for him as an actor and as a campaigner. It's sad that he never got the chance to achieve his ambition and see a cure for paralysis.

Rest in peace, Christopher.

Wendy sad

Just a fly-by! *waves*
#201077 10/10/04 06:41 PM
Features Writer
Features Writer
Christopher Reeve was a very talented actor...

We all heard it when we were chatting in mIRC, and eventhough we saw the headline... we still couldn´t believe...

Rest in Peace, Mr. Reeve. You proved that in life you were more of a superhero than in the movies.

MDL.

"Work while you have the light. You are responsible for the talent that has been entrusted to you."
#201078 10/10/04 07:39 PM
Blogger
Blogger
WHAT?!?! NO!!! Oh my GOd! I mean...I obviously never knew him but my mom and I watched a ton of his movies when I was little and I've seen Superman and Somewhere In Time a hundred times!!! He was one of my favorite actors of all time. Wow...my mom is seriously going to cry. How did he die?

Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow.
#201079 10/10/04 07:54 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
According to the news sites, he slipped into a coma on Saturday, and his heart stopped on Sunday. Long-term complications from the fall, no doubt.

He was a classic Clark/Superman, and he did a lot of good as Chris. He'll be missed.

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
#201080 10/10/04 07:54 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Gasp.

I couldn't believe it; I had to check CNN.com for myself.

I'm just speechless now. My mom and I used to watch all the Superman movies together.

Here's the CNN article for him...it explains how he died.

Man, I just can't believe it. He fought such a good fight against his disability...he never gave up.

Rest in peace, Chris. May we never give up in what we believe in.

JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#201081 10/10/04 07:54 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
mecry

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
#201082 10/10/04 10:01 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Yes, very sad indeed that he lost his brave and determined fight against his injury. I, too, had a lot of respect for the man as an actor and a campaigner. He seemed to be one of those genuinely good people that the world could do with more of.

Yvonne

#201083 10/11/04 12:20 AM
CK Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I too am saddened at this loss. I am right now watching a peice on the today show, they are talking to his doctors, according to them his life expectency after the accedent was only 7 years.
Still it's sad when superman dies frown

(forgive my spelling wink )

*CK*
#201084 10/11/04 01:10 AM
E
Columnist
Columnist
E
I couldn't believe it either. He will definitely be missed.

I believe there's a hero in all of us that keeps us honest, gives us strength, makes us noble, and finally allows us to die with pride, even though sometimes we have to be steady and give up the thing we want the most. Even our dreams. -- Aunt May, Spider-Man 2
#201085 10/11/04 02:03 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
I am just devastated over the news that we lost Christopher Reeve. His bravery in the face of his paralysis was so inspiring. So sad. [Linked Image]

RIP Chris...we'll miss you.

~Liz

Lois: Can I go?
Clark: No.
Lois: Oh come on, Clark, why do we go through this? We both know I’m going to go.
Clark: Then why do you ask?
Lois: I’m trying to be nice.
#201086 10/11/04 02:56 AM
Y
Top Banana
Top Banana
Y
I am shocked . . . but I shouldn't be. He lived an incredible life and was such an inspiration to everyone involved with SCI from the patients to the doctors to the researchers. I think his incredible progress lulled us all into a false sense of his invincibility -- that he would eventually beat all of the odds -- that maybe he really would walk again, as imporbable as it seemed. He was willing to participate in clinical trials, including one for a diaphragmatic prosthesis that was developed in my lab. He participated in a complex excercise program that "trained" his nerves to keep working. I wrote a paper on his late recovery for spinal cord injury, and that was what got me interested in Lois and Clark again. I will post it if I can find it on any of the cds I have from my old computer.

Christopher Reeve will be missed by not only his family, friends, and fans of his acting, he will be missed by everyone who is somehow related to spinal cord injury for his optimism and activism. He never was able to walk again, but maybe because of his efforts, someone else with a similar injury will reap the benefits of the work he encouraged and his foundation paid for. I am a bit of a cynic who thinks that a "cure for paralysis" may never be seen in my life time, but I believe that through research efforts, effective treatments can be developed that can greatly enhance an injured person's life.

Rest in peace, Christopher.

- Laura frown

Laura "The Yellow Dart" U. (Alicia U. on the archive)

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve
#201087 10/11/04 04:03 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
He will be missed. frown

October Sands, An Urban Fairy Tale featuring Lois and Clark
"Elastigirl? You married Elastigirl? (sees the kids) And got bizzay!" -- Syndrome, The Incredibles
#201088 10/11/04 04:15 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Wow. I'm so saddened by this.

I think he was such an example of a true hero - one who faced horrible adversity and tragedy but chose to do someone positive with the hand life had dealt him rather than wallow in self-pity. I admired him so much, and now I will miss him. The world has lost a very good man.

He will always be Superman to me.

Lynn

You know that boy'd walk on water for you? Or he'd drown tryin'. -Perry White to Lois in Just Say Noah
#201089 10/11/04 06:43 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
I use a clock radio for my alarm clock and time it to go off as the news report begins. This was one of the first stories -- talk about waking up to a shock! I was so saddened by this ... he led such an amazing life, and was such an inspiration. He beat the odds over and over, and I couldn't help but hope he would continue to do so. He will be very missed.

Kathy

#201090 10/11/04 07:12 AM
L
L Offline
Columnist
Columnist
L
To me, he was 'the best' Superman. I was 12 when I saw Superman, the movie, when it first came out. I saw it 3 times.

The only smallville episode I could stand was the one he appeared in.

He wasn't the best actor, imho, but he portrayed this role in such a wonderful way.

R.I.P.

Silence is violence. End white supremacy based violence
#201091 10/11/04 08:39 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
The 1978 Superman movie was my first date with my (ex)husband. I had read comics as a kid, and after that movie, even at age 24, I started reading Superman comics voraciously again.

The flying sequence with Lois Lane "Can You Read My Mind" - that song became my all-time favorite instrumental number which I have played at several weddings (I am a pianist).

I can't help but note the irony that he survived that horrific horsebackriding incident only to lose his life to a bed sore infection.

I guess there is a plan for all of us -- Chris said he'd walk again - now he's up there flying!

Chris

"Together we are stronger than each of us is apart"
#201092 10/11/04 10:00 AM
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
My mom told me as soon as I got home this afternoon. Such sad news frown

He was a great, brave man. He will surely be missed. mecry

AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
#201093 10/11/04 10:02 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
I once heard him say in an interview that he considered himself a lucky man. Pretty amazing coming from someone in a wheelchair. But he said he'd come to realize that what mattered- all that mattered- were friends and family and love.

His was a life that was far too short, but certainly lived well.

So, here's to him now 'running and not growing weary, walking and not growing faint.'

CC

You mean we're supposed to have lives?

Oh crap!

~Tank
#201094 10/11/04 10:17 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
I was so annoyed when I found out he died earlier today.

Yes, very sad indeed that he lost his brave and determined fight against his injury. I, too, had a lot of respect for the man as an actor and a campaigner. He seemed to be one of those genuinely good people that the world could do with more of.
Likewise.

Reeve, 52, died on Sunday of heart failure after having treatment for an infected pressure wound without realizing his dream of walking again.
[CNN]
One site called it a bed sore. Ack. That is horrible. I was hoping he would be around longer to continue his fight. He didn't see his dream come true, but he did make a real difference. He is a superhero.

"When it comes down to seeking a solution to a broken spinal cord, I think he has pushed hard and undoubtedly raised a huge amount of money that wouldn't have been there for spinal research. He has definitely made a big difference."
You made me dream when I was a child, you made me hope as an adult. You made me see what a person can do - one person can make enough noise to make a difference.

Thanks Mr. Reeve.

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.
#201095 10/11/04 10:21 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Above everything, I think Chris taught us that we can beat the odds. Even if he never walked again, he achieved so much and had so much faith, that he should be our inspiration if we ever think life gets too tough for us.

Rest in peace, Chris frown

Cristina

Cris
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard