Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#201067 10/10/04 01:46 AM
Vicki Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
I was just reading an email from my sister, in which she referred to a particular incident that I thought I'd share with you. I've heard this story a hundred times (it happened over 25 years ago), but each time I hear it, it makes me laugh.

To begin, I should explain that in NY, the state colleges offer exchange student programs. That was how I ended up in Puerto Rico, btw. My sister spent one year as an exchange student in Spain. Unlike me, who, after nearly 27 years of speaking Spanish still can't shake my heavy American accent, my sister has a true ear for languages. From the start, she spoke Spanish like a true Spaniard - her accent was so impeccible that the Spaniards mistook her for a native.

While in Spain, my sister decided to take a ferry ride to, if I recall correctly, Italy. She went to purchase her ticket, and had the following conversation with the man at the ticket counter:

Man: May I have your number, please?

Sis: Oh, was I supposed to take a number?

Man: Excuse me?

Sis: I didn't know I was supposed to take a number. Where are the numbers?

Man: No, I mean *your* number.

Sis: I don't have a number. What number do you mean?

Man: The number they gave you when you were born!

Sis (thinking the man had mistaken her for a Spaniard, and assuming that babies in Spain receive some sort of citizenship number or something): Oh, no! I'm an American. We don't give babies numbers in America.

Man: Is this some sort of joke?

Sis: No, I'm serious. I don't have a number.

Man: Everybody has a number!

Sis: Maybe everybody in Spain, but I'm an American. I don't have a number!

Man (visibly annoyed and losing patience): If you do not give me your number, I cannot give you a ticket.

Sis (frantically trying to think of some number she can give this man to appease him): There *is* a number on my passport...

Man (in a "duh"-tone-of-voice): Well, *that* one!

When my sister turned her passport over to the man and watched him write, she suddenly realized her mistake. During this entire conversation (which took place in Spanish), they had been talking about my sister's "nombre" - which is *not* the Spanish word for "number", but rather for "name"!

The poor man's frustration is understandable if you re-read the conversation, substituting the word "name" for "number"! laugh

- Vicki

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
#201068 10/10/04 06:13 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Vicki!! rotflol

That is hysterical!!! Funny how just a tiny little misunderstanding can cause so much frustration.

Thanks for sharing - I'll be grinning all day.

Lynn

You know that boy'd walk on water for you? Or he'd drown tryin'. -Perry White to Lois in Just Say Noah
#201069 10/10/04 08:59 AM
Kerth
Kerth
smile1

"Practice up your shielding spells...and remember to duck if you see green light coming your way."

Harry Potter to Wizengamot in OotP trial

A Bad Week in the Wizengamot
#201070 10/10/04 01:12 PM
Vicki Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
But we do have a number!!! They give it to us when you ask for your ID card, 14, I think is the age now
Actually, nowadays, we *do* give babies numbers in the U.S. - a Social Security number. But back when this happened, people didn't get a Soc. Sec. number until they got their first job.

- Vicki

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
#201071 10/10/04 01:59 PM
E
Columnist
Columnist
E
LOL! Thanks for the laugh.

I believe there's a hero in all of us that keeps us honest, gives us strength, makes us noble, and finally allows us to die with pride, even though sometimes we have to be steady and give up the thing we want the most. Even our dreams. -- Aunt May, Spider-Man 2
#201072 10/11/04 10:51 PM
Vicki Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
I'm glad you guys enjoyed this!

Not many people responded. I'm not sure if that's because they didn't read it, or they didn't think it was funny. For me, just thinking about what that poor man must have been thinking cracks me up!

- Vicki

#201073 10/12/04 04:09 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
goofy LOL! That was funny. I've been taking Spanish for the past 3 years, and I just love the language...I could totally imagine the convo in my head!

Mirage

Clark: You're really high maintenance, aren't you?

Lois: Yes, but I'm worth it!

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard