Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
lynnm Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
So, did any of you happen to catch the new show "Clubhouse" starring none other than our favorite man-in-tight-pants?

I finally watched my TiVoed version last night - was quite annoyed because some football game or another shoved the whole thing late by 10 minute so the recording ended before the end of the show. grumble

Anyway, I really like the show. Kind of surprised by that. I knew I'd like keeping my eyes peeled for Dean, and he delivered. But I hadn't realized that Jeremy Sumpter plays the lead character, and I just loved him in "Peter Pan." That kid has charisma!

The show was much more serious than I expected. I thought it was going to be something kind of comedy-ish, a bunch of goofy guys on a baseball team and a dorky batboy. But it actually was quite intense and touching.

Only problem I can see - the Pilot dealt with Pete, the batboy, taking the fall for something illegal one of the players did, all to save the team. Looks like next week the story is Pete taking the fall for something wrong one of the players did, all to save the team. I hope it's not the same story every week.

Lynn

You know that boy'd walk on water for you? Or he'd drown tryin'. -Perry White to Lois in Just Say Noah
Y
Top Banana
Top Banana
Y
Okay, I watched it. (I wish I had TiVO!) I am not a Dean Cain fan, but I love baseball, and the kid who played Peter Pan was adorable, so I watched it. And, shockingly, I really liked it. I thought Dean Cain's character was really . . . I don't know . . . hot, of course, but the actor seemed flat? Bad acting or maybe that's the way the character was written. I'm not sure.

It's on at the same time as my favorite family comedy, According to Jim, so I am not sure if I will watch it again, but it was pretty good.

- Laura

Laura "The Yellow Dart" U. (Alicia U. on the archive)

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve
Columnist
Columnist
Lynn, is this going to be another folder where we rave or rant about the show, like we do with Smallville? laugh

I loved the show! Too little Dean in the first ep to really say much about him. But Pete is awesome! All but that annoying lisp of his! razz Perfect kid for this role. Loving it! thumbsup

The other guy, the new one just brought up from the minors... that gave Pete his necklace to wear was hilarious. The whole conversation about looking out for each other, then asking for the key to the batter's box... clap 'It's beside the bat stretcher'. dizzy I loved it!

I'll definitely watch again. In fact, I'm off to get my bath. It's on in 25 minutes!

SQD (who'll be back if Lynn is willing to discuss more!)

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I thoroughly enjoyed it, and that's rare for me & TV shows these days. I like the way Jeremy talks, slight lisp and all, he's such a cutie! And then Dean... ah, *me melts.

I am not all that fond of baseball but I don't think it's totally a baseball show, just like L&C wasn't totally a journalism show or a Superhero show. Okay maybe that's a bad example.

But I liked it! And it's on again in just under three hours, yayyyy! clap

Molly
lynnm Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Oh, yeah, I'll be back to dish! I TiVoed tonight's epi and will watch it in a bit, then be back to discuss.

Yeah - I'm reserving judgement on Dean's character at this point. Didn't see enough of him to make a firm call. He seems like he's this decent guy, a superstar with a big heart. Sound familiar? <g>.

So I'll be back...This is cool. Tuesday nights Clubhouse and Wednesday nights Smallville. I'm in hog heaven. wink

Lynn

You know that boy'd walk on water for you? Or he'd drown tryin'. -Perry White to Lois in Just Say Noah
Columnist
Columnist
Lynn, tonight's ep was awesome! Great little moral lessons all around. Poor Pete! But wohoo! Our guy's truly a hero!!!! Loved the exchange with Pete in the dugout. Can't say enough about this show.

Oh, and the Sister, the principal, she's fantastic!

SQD (who flipped when Lou started singing a song from her favorite movie of all time! Another reason this show is good! dance )

Top Banana
Top Banana
Hey Lynn are we related?? goofy I watched my TIVO'd first ep tonight too and really enjoyed it. I thought the drama was well done and the light parts really cute. Asksing for a bat stretcher is the oldest prank in the book, I cracked up when Dean mentioned it. I am a huge Yankee fan too so the show kinda speaks to me..

As for Dean in a baseball uni?? Well what can we say that hasn't been said..yum! Did you find it weird that they named his character Conrad Dean??

I will watch it again but probably won't get to tonight's show until tomorrow or Thursday so I guess I'm not eligible for any ranting or raving tonight smile

~Liz

Lois: Can I go?
Clark: No.
Lois: Oh come on, Clark, why do we go through this? We both know I’m going to go.
Clark: Then why do you ask?
Lois: I’m trying to be nice.
lynnm Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
I watched it last night and still like the show very much. I think Pete is just perfect - this wonderful blend of naive and good-hearted but not too much of a pushover. He's starting to wise up a bit, and watching him grow up is going to be interesting.

As for Conrad Dean, I did like very much the character (Dean's acting was wonderful). He seems like he's this really upright guy who will soon be filling in the father-figure role for Pete. My only worry - I hope they don't make him this total saint. He needs to have some flaws or I'll start seeing him as a two-dimensional goody-goody.

My heart goes out to the mother (Mare Winningham). She's got her hands full with that daughter of hers. But I love how she handles stuff - she doesn't go into histrionics but is fairly cool and level-headed. I was cringing, though, in the Pilot when she showed up in the dugout to drag Pete home. Every boy's worst nightmare!

As much as I loved last night's epi, I am hoping that every week isn't another morality play. I see that this is a show about a boy learning lessons in life, and that can offer only so many storylines, so it'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

Yes - that principal totally kicks butt!

Lynn

Columnist
Columnist
How about the interaction between the ball player and that new batboy last night? That was hilarious. That poor guy had serious hang-ups about being traded from the kid's fantasy baseball team. Too cute! And btw, that player was the bad guy in Jean Claude flick- Universal Soldier. Always loved that low, gravelly voice!

SQD (who's sure to find even more to point about this show before the week's out)

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I finally caught Clubhouse last night. What cracks me up is Dean goes by his own name, gets to chew gum all the time (which was an issue on the L&C set), wear his baseball caps backwards and not worry about hairstyle much, and do sports which he loves. What a dream job!

Top Banana
Top Banana
Seriously Trenna!

I heard him on an interview say that since this is an ensemble cast he only works a few days a week and it's nothing like the 18 hour days he put in on L&C.

Dream job indeed, the guy is positively charmed!

~Liz

Lois: Can I go?
Clark: No.
Lois: Oh come on, Clark, why do we go through this? We both know I’m going to go.
Clark: Then why do you ask?
Lois: I’m trying to be nice.
Y
Top Banana
Top Banana
Y
I finally got around to watching last Wednesday's Clubhouse, and I was kind of surprised by the plot. The corked bat/bat switching incident actually happened to the Cleveland Indians. I was actually watching the game live when it happened!

It was in 1994 in a game against the Chicago White Sox. The manager of the White Sox challenged Albert Belle's bat because it had been rumored that his bat was corked. The umpire took it back to the umpire's room so it could be examined later. (sound familiar yet?)

The Indians team knew Albert's bat was illegal, so someone (recently revealed to be relief pitcher Jason Grimsley) removed a cealing tile in the manager's office, and climbed through the air vents to the umpire's room with a legal (Paul Sorrento) bat and he switched the bats. This made the national news and the umpires threatened to bring in the FBI. And, unlike Conrad Dean, Albert Belle did, indeed, cork his bat. (And we all have to ask why? This guy was an amazing hitter and didn't really need the advangage!)

I actually enjoyed the show, and it really reminded me why I was glad Albert Belle is no longer an Indian wink (actually, no longer in baseball!)

- Laura

Laura "The Yellow Dart" U. (Alicia U. on the archive)

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard