Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#200667 08/23/04 02:53 PM
Kitty Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Ok, I can't put this in the poll center so I'm putting it in the section, because it reqires explanation.

I'm just curious here so don't get upset at me for this but I was thinking along the lower line of "Fear Factor" here.

If your facing a life and death situation and given the choice to face your fear for a better outcome. Would you do it?

e.g. If your fear was spider/bee. The doctor tells you the only cure for your life threatening illness is to get bitten by a spider/bee.

e.g. If your fear was of surgeons. And your doctors tells you have a tumor and requires surgury. Would you do it?

If given the choice to be free of fear by confrontation would you do it?

#200668 08/23/04 04:00 PM
E
Columnist
Columnist
E
Yes. In a heartbeat. One factor going into my choice is that I faced death in the form of a fire last year, though. I figure that I'm still around for a reason. What that is, I don't know, but I wouldn't throw my life away just because of something that would make me afraid.

I believe there's a hero in all of us that keeps us honest, gives us strength, makes us noble, and finally allows us to die with pride, even though sometimes we have to be steady and give up the thing we want the most. Even our dreams. -- Aunt May, Spider-Man 2
#200669 08/23/04 04:51 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
The little things I cannot do like - pulling a bandaid off, having to deal w/ a bad infection on my back, waxing, any doctor procedure.

I guess as I get older I'll have to get over the dr. thing.

I would do - surgery, get a bite. If it meant my life or someone close --> YES.

I really wish I wasn't such a wimp but I am afraid of pain and I don't like it went pple have to do stuff to me. I am much more comfortable doing things to myself. If someone has to do something to me and the result will have a lot of pain, then I have a VERY hard time dealing with that. So I avoid. Luckily I have not really been in a position to have to face my fears.

BUT

When it does invole a severe thing, for example I had a cancer and later a heart scare, BAM I was there in the doctor's office.

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.
#200670 08/24/04 01:01 AM
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
There are things I don't like, but if my life or someone else's depended on it I'd face them. I can be brave when it really matters.

See ya,
AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
#200671 08/24/04 01:32 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If given the choice to be free of fear by confrontation would you do it?
Well, it's usually the trick I use to cure my minor fears.

If the life of my relatives or best friends depended on it, I wouldn't hesitate for a minute. I'll do it 'cause I know they would do it too if faced with the same choice.

If it's only about me...well, we all have to die one day. One way or another.

Carole smile1

#200672 08/24/04 02:21 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I don't know about brave -- I'm terrified of heights -- but I'm not as afraid of pain as I used to be. After all, I went through (unintentional!) natural childbirth and survived... so other stuff seems less scary. Plus I donate blood semi-regularly. Yeah, it hurts a little, but only for a few hours, and it's a good cause, so...

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#200673 08/27/04 11:25 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
As someone who takes a couple of buses to and from work/university almost every day in Jerusalem I guess I can say with some confidence that I will not only face my fear I will most likely concur it as well. wink

I'm a little afraid of heights but I would love to Bungee jump, rock climb and free fall so I guess once I do one of them that fear will be concurred.

As to pain I have this quote from "The Princess Bride" that I love:
“Life is pain Highness. Anyone who tells you differently is selling something.”
(Westley as the Man in Black to Buttercup) The Princess Bride quotes

And as I’ve broken an arm, sprained an ankle (severely) and fractured a finger I’m no stranger to pain and know that I can endure it for a few hours at a time, I think. blush

Avia

"I get it, you're a ghost. You're dead. Big accomplishment, move on. You see a light anywhere? Go towards it okay?"

Cordelia in 'Rm w/a Vu' - Angel episode 1x05
#200674 08/28/04 04:11 PM
Kitty Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
I will not only face my fear I will most likely concur it as well.
I gues you all are braver then me. I probably would be a chicken when it comes to confronting my fears.

My first fear wasn't that bad. I'm sort of afraid to go the high open places. I think I had no problem concuring that because of my childhood accidents of cracking my head open 7 times from falling off of a lot of stuff. Although I do admit that once in a blue moon, I would get dizzy if I look straight up.

Well this is where fear turns to phobia. I don't like to see needles or most of all surgical knives. Br- that brings chills down my spine just thinking about it. If I were diagnosed with brain tumor and needed surgury. I probably wouldn't go through with it. Maybe.

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard