Next Thread
Print Thread
#200566 08/09/04 04:20 PM
Y
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Y
Okay, so tonight I had a softball game vs. the Cleveland Job Corps (a team that has beaten us all four times we have played them). We came out to a 4-0 lead for the first five innings, and the other team went a little crazy. They started tripping our players (girls to be specific) and then we started playing really badly and they were winning by over 10 runs. Then it happened.

The same man who tripped our manager Maurissa as she was running to first base twice was the batter. I play first base. The ball was hit to the shortstop, and he threw the ball to me. It was a little off line, but I could have stretched out to get it -- but as I stretched, the guy reached out and tackled me to the ground. razz

Laura "The Yellow Dart" U. (Alicia U. on the archive)

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve
#200567 08/09/04 06:13 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Emotional highs often bring out different sides of people, sides we never see normally. You think people are nice, cool people, and then you learn they can be jerks. And it's one thing for them to act that way with just you, but if these guys were treating you this way in public? In front of everyone? There is something seriously wrong with them. Maybe they thought they were just joking around. But someone should send a clue in their direction and let them know chauvanists went out of style a lonnnng time ago.

My hope is that one or more of them will ponder their actions and feel bad about it and perhaps even apologize in a day or two, who knows... one can hope.

Sorry you got hurt, hope you feel better by the time you read this.

Molly
#200568 08/09/04 07:40 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
That reminds me of the time my rugby team played a different school at OFSAA Qualifiers, which is a tournament between the 4 top teams from the four different Toronto regions (we're regional champions this year), to choose the two teams who would go to OFSAA, which are the Ontario finals.

When we played Lawrence Park, another high school, the referee was biased because he worked for them. You'd think they'd bother to get a objective ref for such an important game, but whatever. That stupid ref gave our team 14 penalties, some really ridiculous (the kicker got a penalty for kicking or something like that, for exmaple). They got only one penalty. He kept bringing us back 10 yards for stupid reasons every time we were in their end zone and close to scoring a try (which is like a touchdown). When about 7 girls (out of 15) on their team were offside (meaning they were running where they weren't supposed to, which is illegal), he ignored it even though every rookie could see that clearly and our coach was yelling that out to him.

In the end it was called a fair game, I suppose because our coach didn't want a hassle, but we were left completely furious. They screwed over all the other teams in OFSAA Q. that way, too, and ended up taking the Toronto championship which they didn't deserve. Our only consolation was that when they got to OFSAA they lost rather badly because they earned their way there by cheating.

These thinks happen, and they really do take all the fun out of sports. I can relate.

Julie

Mulder: Imagine if you could come back and take out five people who had caused you to suffer. Who would they be?
Scully: I only get five?
Mulder: I remembered your birthday this year, didn't I, Scully?

(The X-Files)
#200569 08/10/04 08:03 AM
K
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
K
razz razz for you!! That's completely ridiculous! If I were you, I'd find another team to play on pronto!

Well...on the same subject but a lighter note...maybe it'll make you laugh. Back in junior high (middle school) when we'd play softball in PE, the boys would pull this same crap. "Girls can't play! They don't know anything about sports!" Well, I can't remember *exactly* how it happened (maybe I threw a ball at one of their heads or something), but from then on...they'd still say, "Girls can't play...except for Sara." And then they'd look at me wearily. laugh I didn't care too much at that point about defending the other girls because...well...*they* really couldn't play. goofy

Sara (who played softball since she was 8, coached since she was 16)

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard