Not sure if this really affects anyone here, but I just wanted to let you guys know that I just lost a huge chunk of email.

Silly me noticed that Earthlink had come out with a new software version (the 2005 edition), and decided to "upgrade."

The new software has not added any noticable features, but it did make a few changes. For one thing, all my old cookies and bookmarks are now invalid (I did manually re-import the old bookmarks, but I can't move the cookies. Long story...). The other major change has something to do with the way email is handled. A slightly different email program or something. I'm not sure exactly what's different except that it stopped working. It did work on the first boot or two after the "upgrade", but now it claims the mailbox is corrupt and refuses to open at all.

Aparantly, this sort of thing happens often enough that Earthlink created a program called "FixMail," which basically goes through the mailbox and deletes any unreadable messages. Great way to "fix" it, huh?

Unfortunately (maybe), "FixMail" only works with the 2002 and 2003 versions. It can't even find the mailbox that is supposedly corrupt.

I've tried a few other things, but had no success. So I've given up for now. I switched back to Eudora (which I've been thinking about doing anyway), and that seems to be working.

The problem is that Eudora can't import the old Earthlink files. So, bottom line, I just lost about 8 months' worth of email (not to mention a whole bunch of address book updates). If I owed you one... sorry.

Guess that's about it. I'll have to try contacting the House of Cards crew again soon. Still waiting to hear back from one person who was editing, and I may have lost the edits from another along with the rest of my email. I think I remember what's going on with the rest. Otherwise, if I've been working with you, I can get new mails, but my archives of our conversations to date are gone.

Oh, and if you have Earthlink and were considering going to TA 2005, you may want to wait a bit on that.

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.