Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#200034 06/05/04 09:07 PM
RL Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
As I'm sure most of you know by now, one of America's most beloved presidents died today. Agree with him or not, it is indisputable that he changed the world for the better. America went from malaise and the misery index to the longest peacetime economic expansion in history and to a nation proud to fly its flag.

Even political opponents like John Kerry credit him with rejuvenating America. "He was our oldest president, but he made America young again."

And statesmen like Mikhail Gorbachev and Margaret Thatcher credit him (or accuse him in the case of Gorbachev) with the fall of the Soviet Union, freeing over 350 million people from bondage and changing the face of Europe and Asia.

And in the western hemisphere, his policies led to democratization throughout the region despite bitter opposition by members of Congress who impeded him with laws like the Boland Amendment, leaving only a single communist nation (Cuba) in the entire hemisphere as Grenadan, Nicaraguan, and El Salvadoran dictators fell. As President Bush put it, "America is safer when freedom is on the march."

His critics ridiculed him for being an amiable dunce and claimed "Star Wars" would never work and for being a warmonger who would start World War III. As it turned out, his critics were proven wrong. SDI didn't have to work since the very fear of it drove the Soviets to utter bankruptcy, trying to compete, since the Soviets believed that America was capable of doing whatever it set out to do. And this "misunderestimated" man ran circles around his political opponents winning two consecutive landslides.

His leadership was inspiring. I can still remember the tears I had at the speech President Reagan gave following the explosion of the Challenger. "The crew of the space shuttle Challenger honored us by the manner in which they lived their lives. We will never forget them, nor the last time we saw them, this morning, as they prepared for the journey and waved goodbye and 'slipped the surly bonds of earth to touch the face of God.'"

His personal courage is awe-inspiring as well. In his final letter in 1994 telling the world about his Alzheimer's disease, he wrote of "the journey that will lead me into the sunset of my life... When the Lord calls me home, whenever that may be, I will leave with the greatest love for this country of ours and eternal optimism for its future. I know that for America there will always be a bright dawn ahead."

Economically, he showed the world how lowering tax rates and burdensome regulations could unleash the entrepreneurialism of the individual, leaving the rest of the world behind in terms of prosperity. Even today, a repetition of Reagan's tax-cutting policies now leaves America with the fastest growing economy and the lowest unemployment rate in the industrialized world, despite a stock market bubble that burst in January 2000 leading to an investment-led recession and the devastating economic impacts of 9/11.

Another of his important legacies was to bring conservatism to the forefront. America has been a conservative country for a long time, but for the most part remained in the closet since the minority (country-wise) elite in the media and universities had successfully cast conservatism as a mean and unjust philosophy. It was his moral clarity and ability to communicate his message that made so many proud to be conservative.

Now no man is perfect, of course. There were some negative legacies that came out of the Reagan presidency. The worst would be the pullout of Marines from Beirut following a bombing that left 241 Marines dead. This move emboldened the terrorists in the Middle East, helping to lay the foundation for the premise that America would not fight if it involved American casualties. This was reinforced by the actions or inactions of Presidents Carter (Iran and Afghanistan), George H.W. Bush (stopping the Gulf War), and Clinton (Somalia and useless cruise missiles fired into the desert). bin Laden, himself, was quoted as saying that watching America's cowardice in the face of casualties was what led him to attack on 9/11 thinking there would be no signficant response. He was wrong, as 2/3 of al Qaeda's known leadership is dead or captured and terrorist bases in Afghanistan, Indonesia, Pakistan, and Iraq (Ansar al-Islam, one of five groups that make up al Qaeda, based in the north headed by Abu Musab al-Zarqawi) are either under attack or destroyed.

Other negative legacies included a collapse in the real estate markets and Savings and Loans caused by the Tax Reform Act of 1986, leading to the recession of the early 1990's and the defeat of the elder President Bush in 1992, and more importantly, an unwillingness to challenge the Congress when it came to profligate spending, the real cause of huge deficits. That trend continues to this day, even though the artificial bubble popped by tax simplification corrected itself in the long run.

His overall legacy will be that he brought down Soviet communism, freeing Eastern Europe and the Soviet people, and for revitalizing the American spirit.

It is entirely fitting that Ronald Reagan died just four hours short of 60 years from the moment Allied soldiers came ashore on the beaches of Normandy to free a continent. As Colin Powell put it, "the world and his fellow Americans will forever be in his debt."

Perhaps President Bush put it best. "He always told us for America, the best is yet to come. We comfort ourselves in the knowledge that this is true for him, too. His work is done. And now a shining city awaits him."

Goodbye, President Reagan, and thank you. I, for one, will miss you and now have my American flag flying at half staff.

P.S. I'm aware that many on this board are non-Americans, but it's probably safe to say that the majority are. I apologize for references (e.g. Savings and Loans or the Boland Amendment) that may not be apparent to those outside the United States.

-- Roger

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." -- Benjamin Franklin
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Thank you, Roger, for that beautiful tribute. I was heartbroken when I heard that President Reagan had died, although at least he is now in peace. He will certainly be missed, but he will not be forgotten.

--Wanda

"He's a man. I'm a woman. Do you want me to draw you a diagram?" -Lois Lane, I've Got a Crush on You.
Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
Goodbye President Reagan. His optimism for America was always his greatest strength. May he rest in peace.

Nan

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Wonderful tribute, Roger. He was a great man.

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
E
Columnist
Columnist
E
Ronald Reagan is the first president I actually remember, since I was too young when Ford & Carter were in office. The 80's were the decade I grew up in, and if I remember one thing about them, it was a general sense of optimism.

I remember one of the Back to the Future movies where Marty McFly tells Doc that Reagan is president. Doc thinks he's joking.

One of the greatest things about the U.S. is that someone like Ronald Reagan could become president and did. He will be missed.

I believe there's a hero in all of us that keeps us honest, gives us strength, makes us noble, and finally allows us to die with pride, even though sometimes we have to be steady and give up the thing we want the most. Even our dreams. -- Aunt May, Spider-Man 2
Top Banana
Top Banana
Even during his presidency I considered him a personally decent man (who'd unfortunately entrusted and elevated evil people who - without his knowledge and consent - milked this country, empowered terriorists, abused the least powerful at home and abroad, and polarized the diverse American races). My heart goes out to his loving wife and children.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I cried when I heard about his death and more for his last 10 years suffering with Alzhiemers. He was one in a million and I will remember him fondly. Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard