Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#200007 06/04/04 04:29 PM
Kitty Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
I seem to have read this somewhere but don't know where.

I read somewhere once that you can tell what kind of man a person is by the way they sit. Don't know if it is true or not but was curious when I saw a guy on the train sitting where oddly.

As usual my curiosity is killing me until I can remember the rest of it.

#200008 06/05/04 01:35 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I don't think I've ever heard that... there is such a thing as body language, though, so I suppose there could be something to it. Have you tried Googling it?

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#200009 06/05/04 04:06 AM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Yes, I presume this is about body language. A confident Alpha male, for example, will sit in a different position to a less confident subordinate male and so on.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#200010 06/05/04 12:49 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
I've always thought that. At work, this guy always sits on a low box and leans again the wall. His legs are sprawled out on either side with his hands dangeling about or doing the 'baseball scratch'.

I know this it is not 100% accurate, it depends on how they are feeling that day and the situation.....

but

...he always sits in this fashion and well it does mirror his attitude - lazy, abnoxious...I could go on. He thinks he is all that and a box of chips...and he is soooooo not. He smells, talks openly about topics one should not talk about 24/7 at work, steals, and doesn't respect good work ethic and good interpersonal respect. The cheery on top of the sundae is.....he sings and he CAN'T. He thinks he can.

I know I'm not perfect. I get too animated, etc. But at least I don't sing!

In my social psych class and management class:

Sitting up straight with hands in front - usually means confident or a little shy (scared stiff)! Ha! A little condradictory don't you say?

Leaning forward - interested, forward, likes to learn. Or maybe their back is hurting them!

Leaning back - relaxed in the situation or is a realaxed person. Also, could produce an aura of over confidence. Depending on the hand position and look of the eyes (down, for example) this could also be read as being shy.

Some pple's sitting is infulenced by those around them. Some do not like their personal space being invaded. Extraverted pple prefer a "social zone" or a bubble of between 18 and 48" from their bodies, while introverts need more space. They may be feeling ok but if you invade their bubble they may react adversly. Pple will react differently. That makes us awesome.

Those who fidget or become overly rigid are usually read as being shy or anxious.

Some pple may be more stressed than others. Holding of the legs are arms tensely can show this.

Perching on the edge of a chair or playing with a watch or ring can show nervousness or impatience.

This site explores stuff similar to our topic. It may not hit the nail on the head but it is interesting.

I'm getting called I gotta go..... sorry if sloppy.

I don't know if this is legit, but I found this site which touches on the topic.

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard