Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#199856 05/16/04 11:35 AM
Y
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Y
Okay, I am kind of starting to freak out wink . As a few of you know, tomorrow, I have to take the first steps to getting my PhD (for real -- I know all of you Europeans think our system of PhDs is insane with the exams and classes we have to take wink ), but tomorrow all day I have our PhD qualifying exam -- to see how much we know and how smart we are -- and if we have the correct books and materials to be able to answer 18 questions in basically any subject area under the sun. This exam is pretty much like the boards that medical students have to take their second year of med school. We have to take this test in the second year of our PhD studies.

I am well prepared, with previous exams, and solutions, quick notes of every class my roommate and I have taken, physiology, circuits, signals and systems, and ion channels books galore, and my trusty graphing calculator, but I've spent most of my time organizing my stuff rather than actually studying. So I am kind of freaking out. LOL. I realized that I've spent so much time preparing, that I didn't really spend any time studying wink . My professors all told me not to worry about it and not to stress out because I will be okay, but now I am starting to really freak out, since it is just over 13 hours away.

So any happy thoughts or well-wishes would be greatly appreciated!!

- Laura eek (totally stressed out, but tomorrow it will (hopefully) be over . . . if i pass) smile

Laura "The Yellow Dart" U. (Alicia U. on the archive)

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve
Top Banana
Top Banana
Laura, we know you are going to do well. Just go in there and show them what you've already shown us - that you're a freaking genius! laugh

Rotsa ruck. thumbsup

Top Banana
Top Banana
All the Best, Laura.

I'm sure u'll give it your best shot and get the expected results thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup

And don't worry or be nervous. After all, "Worry is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do but it doesn't get you anywhere." smile wave

If she had to move heaven and Earth, perhaps come back to haunt Perry and explain the story after they'd killed her, she would do it.

Waking a Miracle by Aria
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Good luck, Laura! Go in there and wow 'em!

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Top Banana
Top Banana
{{{happythoughtshappythoughtshappythoughtshappythoughts}}}

{{{wellwisheswellwisheswellwisheswellwisheswellwisheswellwishes}}}

Go get 'em, Yellow Dart!

CC

You mean we're supposed to have lives?

Oh crap!

~Tank
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
You can do it, Laura! smile Anytime you get flustered, just think of all of us praying and sending good thoughts your way!

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Go get 'em! Walk in there, and rip apart those questions 10 ways from Sunday!

dance dance dance dance dance dance dance dance
~here's a cheering squad for you!

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I just wanted to tell you that you are going to do a spectacular job! Just go in there and think of the little engine that could..."I think I can I think I can I think I can..." You'll do great! And plus you have all of us rooting for you!

Later Days!
Andie

Am I gay? I'm ECSTATIC!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thanks Weisz and Rae for the Rockin Icon.
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
Hey Laura

Good Luck! dance And just do what I do whenever I come up against something like this… think about how Lois Lane would handle it. laugh Whether it be exams or job interviews that thought has always given me enough confidence to get through it and do well! laugh

I know you’ll be fine, let us know how it all goes…

Sarah-Jayne smile

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles."
Christopher Reeve - Still Me
Top Banana
Top Banana
Good luck, Laura! smile I'm sure you'll do just fine. You've worked so hard for it, you'll be fine. Just have a little bit of faith in yourself. thumbsup

Saskia

I tawt I taw a puddy cat!
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
Good luck, Laura!!!

AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I won't wish you luck, Laura, because I have every confidence in your ability and knowledge. You'll pass this like you've passed everything else so far, I'm sure, and then it'll be PhD here I come! goofy

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Top Banana
Top Banana
I'm sure you'll be fine, Laura, but good luck anyway. smile

Kaethel smile

- I'm your partner. I'm your friend.
- Is that what we are?
- Oh, you know what? I don't know what we are. We kiss and then we never talk about it. We nearly die frozen in each other's arms, but we never talk about it, so no, I got no clue what we are.

~ Rick Castle and Kate Beckett ~ Knockout ~
K
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
K
You'll do fine, Laura! We all have faith in you smile But I will say some prayers for your state of mind <g> Don't get too nervous! You'll be just fine smile We're all pulling for you!

Kaylle
(And by the way, if you're feeling particularly victorius when it's over and you feel like taking my circuits exam so I can pass my class and go to England, I won't stop you laugh )

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
You'll do GREAT, Laura!!! We all know that - but I'm sure I've got some happy thoughts lying around that I can send to you...{{{Happythoughthapythoughtshappythoughtshappythoughts}}}

If I could survive the boards you can beat the crap out of your PhD exam!!! thumbsup

And after you pass, we'll party!!! dance

Good luck, you'll be fine, don't be too nervous, just be confident!!!

Jill smile

Beaker: Special Talents: Scientific assistant, Victim
Last Book Read: "1001 Meeps to a Bigger Vocabulary"
Quote: "Meep! Meep! Meep!"
Never Leaves Home Without: Medical Coverage
E
Columnist
Columnist
E
Good luck!!! I realize this is a bit late, but I hope everything went well!

I believe there's a hero in all of us that keeps us honest, gives us strength, makes us noble, and finally allows us to die with pride, even though sometimes we have to be steady and give up the thing we want the most. Even our dreams. -- Aunt May, Spider-Man 2
Y
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Y
Thank you, everyone, for your support and well wishes. You are all the best! I know there is a reason I love FoLCs!!!

I am not exactly sure how the exam went because I mismanaged my time stupidly, but I will find out my score sometime in the next week. Cross your fingers that I pass wink -- or that I am borderline enough to get to take an oral exam or to TA next semester (that would be cool because I love TAing).

Regardless of how I did on the exam, just knowing that you all supported me makes my heart a lot happier smile .

- Laura smile

PS, Kaylle, if you are serious abuot that circuits test . . . I might be able to help you after all the stupid studying I did recently wink . And, Jill, if I pass, I will totally come down to Cinci so we can party wink .

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
/me crosses fingers and toes for Laura, even though we know that's not necessary because we know she did awesome.

And now it's time to start planning the party! <g> goofy

Beaker: Special Talents: Scientific assistant, Victim
Last Book Read: "1001 Meeps to a Bigger Vocabulary"
Quote: "Meep! Meep! Meep!"
Never Leaves Home Without: Medical Coverage
Y
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Y
For anyone who was wondering and I didn't tell on IRC -- I got my results from the exam last week. I did exactly like I thought -- passing the (harder) graduate section, but failing the (easier) undergraduate section. All things considered, I am happy with my score, and I have a whole year to study again for the undergraduate section. Either that or I will achieve my mission and convince the department that I deserve an oral exam this summer. But we'll see if that actually happens. My advisor has already said NO just take it again next year. Oh well.

Again, thanks for your well wishes! They really helped. And, Jill, if you can get Clark to come to the party, I am totally there even though I didn't completely pass wink .

Laura smile

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Yaaaaaaayyy, Laura!! thumbsup

"He's a man. I'm a woman. Do you want me to draw you a diagram?" -Lois Lane, I've Got a Crush on You.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard