Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#199785 05/05/04 04:29 PM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
After last week, it would be very hard to follow up with an episode to top Memoria. However, there were some important events:

1) No Lana/Clark or Chloe/CLark interactions

2) Lex and Lana obviously got closer

3) Lex admits in his theory, that the "dark one" may be a hero, because "Naman" needs someone (him) to keep him in check from becoming too powerful.

4) Jonathan's deal with Jor-el is aluded to again, with his healing power.

5) Clark wears a red cape recovering from the stabbing event

6) Jonathan says to Clark that he may be the world's greatest hero, or its most mild-mannered citizen...it is up to him.

7) It is quite obvious that Lionel knows that Clark is Naman.

8) There is a logical reason for Pete to leave the show....he will move to Wichita to live with his mother, Federal Judge Ross (gets his first taste of politics, as he will eventually be VP?)

9) In the trailer for the next two episodes, Kara floats Clark.....that may make it worth watching alone.

Definitely a stepping-stone to the finale episode. I'm finding Clark needs to start acting more Superman-ish. He's so conflicted as to who he is and what he's supposed to do.....but he knows he loves saving people....

(since Tom Welling just turned 27, he could turn around and play Superman tomorrow if he wanted to....bring on Lois Lane!!)

Chris

"Together we are stronger than each of us is apart"
#199786 05/06/04 01:21 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think you have every point covered here, Chaa. Do you take notes during the show??? Cause I almost did <guilty grin>

There were just too many cool lines there, but I was recovering from watching Last Samurai so I had to meld into Smallville slowly(going from rock on HOT MOVIE to pleasantly warm TV Show)

I think the whole Native American background on this story is really interesting, and the idea that Kryptonians may have been here already was kinda Xfiles cool.

Any way I'm definately looking forward to next week, it's about time he started flying. They've been hinting at that in small spurts lately so I'm anxious to see him airborne.

As far as Tom Welling as Superman, I can't see it because of physical reasons. Dean Cain spoiled me with that broad chest and wide shoulders. I always used to feel Chris Reeve was a little on the narrow side.

Is it just me or have you guys ever noticed the Lex/Clark mushiness that is constantly hinted at on this show as well? this may have already been brought up, but I've only posted on this topic recently, so I may have missed it.

TEEEJ

#199787 05/06/04 02:01 AM
Columnist
Columnist
I yelled out at more than one scene in this one!

First, Lana and Lex... didn't I tell ya? Did you notice how she paused in that scene walking away from him? See, see. That would certainly be an interesting hook-up!

Now, I'll cover the dull stuff first...

Chloe and Pete... will Pete leave the show? Not so sure. During his exchange with Chloe, he said he thought his mother's job offer was an excuse for *her* to leave. Never made mention that he was going with her. And the fathers on this show tend to care for the children. I did like that Chloe helped him in the end. At first I thought he was upset about his confession of a couple shows back because she hadn't given him the time of day. I'm still not sure about that relationship.

It's been hinted to many times that the Kryptonians had already been to Earth before. The whole 60's ep yelled that fact. Not to mention the drawings in the caves. How would they have gotten there otherwise? The only thing I have a problem with is if they've been there before, and have 'set the stage' for Kal-El, are they still alive? Does Krypton still exist? Everything almost seems to point to the Kryptonians wanting Clark to take over. Although the Indians are convinced that Clark is their savior. (hint at his future destiny?)

What was up with Bo Kent? Healing Clark? Messenger for Jor-El? What is all that about? What does Jor have planned for his boy?

Lionel knows who Clark is. Nothing new. We've known, or thought that, for a while. He's just trying to prove it now. And when it was said that if the wrong person touched the sword it would turn to ashes, I immediately yelled 'don't let Lex touch it!' The whole 'friend becomes the enemy thing' immediately made me think of Lex. Poor Clark. He's not ready to admit it might be Lex. Wonder what he thought with that final spew at the end of the show. I'm telling you. Lex knows! He remembers what he found out about Clark. I hate to see him pass over to the dark side though. I love this Lex!

So, is flying right around the corner? Will we see more of Lex's dark side? Where's LOIS?! And I seriously want to see some Lex and Lana smooching-- just so I'll know I was right. evil

Anyway, onward we go!

SQD (and yeah, Teeej, that relationship has been mentioned many, many times)

#199788 05/06/04 03:41 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
I have to make this short because I don't have much time.

But I have to say I was pleasantly surprised with this episode. For a little while, I thought it was going to be kind of a between-powerhouses Freak Of the Week filler, but it ended up packing a whole lot of punches.

The very good - no Lana/Clark interaction. And kudos to TPTB because they actually used Lana in a good way. She was on the show, with her own story line that didn't revolve around Clark. Sorry - I just can't imagine any kind of Lex/Lana hookup. They did do quite an anvil-ly job of hinting at deeper feelings, but something about the idea seems almost...incestuous? I don't know. Can't quite put my finger on it. However, now that I think about it, having Lex pair up with Lana, especially when Lex knows how Clark feels about Lana, really opens up the gate for a whole bunch of animosity between the two of them. Maybe she's the final wedge that rips open the rift between them. Another issue I have with this is canon...Lana was Clark's first girl. Yes, I know. Smallville left canon behind about ten exits back.

Pete - SPOILER HERE so don't read if you don't want to know. But I think it's a lock that Pete's leaving the show. This week was all about setting up that scenario. I mean, did I miss the moments in other episodes where it was even hinted that Pete's parents were experiencing marital problems? Kind of flew out of nowhere. Hate to say it but can you spell p-l-o-t c-o-n-t-r-i-v-a-n-c-e. Thing is, Pete's leaving opens up the door for another of Clark's friends to discover his secret. Because I think having a friend know - and be able to help him in keeping the secret - was a pretty big deal back in Season 2. Now either Lana or Chloe can find out and take Pete's place as co-conspirator. I'm guessing...

Loved loved loved Jonathan's "world's greatest hero or most mild-mannered citizen" line. It was integrated and delivered so smoothly into the flow of conversation that it didn't seem the least bit corny, which it could have.

And gasp - I actually did kinda like Jonathan this week. He seemed...dare I say...normal. Not preachy or self-righteous. I loved the quiet confusion he expressed over his ability to heal Clark. He didn't understand it but it didn't shock him at all.

OK, I have no idea how old John Glover is, but man. He's got a pretty nice, buff physique for what I imagine to be an "older" person (in that, I mean older than me <g>), or at least someone old enough to be Lex's father.

I don't know if Lionel knows exactly who Clark is. It's obvious he knows that Clark isn't normal - probably not even from Earth. But I didn't get that he knows much more specifically than that.

Didn't much like the whole "is it Lex or Lionel?" anvil they threw at us when both men grabbed the knife at exactly the same moment and it disintegrated. I mean, I think as an audience we are all pretty savvy enough with the Lex as Superman's archnemesis premise that we all know it's Lex, so why bother hinting that it may be Lionel? I know. I know. Because just because we know, doesn't mean Clark knows. And we need to keep Clark guessing for at least another season or two.

I do love that the seeds are firmly planted in Clark's brain, however. That he now can no longer deny that Lex may end up being his enemy. It makes for a very interesting set up for Season 4.

And holy cow! What a great ending. When Lex delivered that last little twist, I was blinking in shock. Because it is actually so true. Without someone to fight, something evil to battle, could it be that Clark would be tempted to use his powers for his own gain rather than for the benefit of all people? Even Jonathan seemed to hint that there was a chance that Clark could take the conquerer route.

OK, so this wasn't short. And honestly, I could go on some more, but I won't.

Excellent episode. And I'm anxious to see the next two. That's all that's left, right? Then the long, horrible summer. I've never had to live through that before - became a Smallville fan just before Season 3 started.

Lynn

You know that boy'd walk on water for you? Or he'd drown tryin'. -Perry White to Lois in Just Say Noah
#199789 05/06/04 04:22 AM
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
Silly Chris... Tom Welling is 27? Come on, we know better than that. After all Clark Kent is only, what? 16, or 17 now. They would never have an actor who is ten years older playing the part... would they?

Tank (who finds the show so distasteful that he won't even watch the DVD set that was given to him as a present)

#199790 05/06/04 04:38 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Hi all,
Since I have a day off today, I can actually jump in the pool with you all this week and not just sip my margarita along the poolside while watching wink

Ok, last night epi was pretty great..... Chris, you already covered most of the high points, but I have to say that I love it when the references to the myth come about!!! I LOVED Bo Kent's line about becoming the hero or a mild-mannered citizen... you should have seen me screaming at the TV!!!!! And I noticed the by now famous red blanket cape that they use for Clark <g>

But I'm definately with you Lynn, Lex and Lana is just......... EEEEWWWWWW!!!! WRONG!! I know there is a huge fanbase of Lex/Lana shippers, but I not only DON'T get it...... it's just, it's just........ WRONG!! (I realize I said that twice, but it is WRONG!! -- there, I even said it again!!!!)

I also surprisingly like Bo Kent in this epi.... maybe he should direct himself more often, coz that was the best non-platitude serving, caring and level headed I have ever seen him! I would love to see a more involved Martha in Cark's life. Way too often she just is a spectator or a cheerleader in that family..... she's got the wisdom, strenth, and composure..... use it!!!

And Lynn, you are also waaaaaay right about the plot-contrivance of Pete..... where did THAT come from??? Not once in his 10 lines this year did he hint at his parents having marital trouble. I read that spoiler too, and I guess the PTB had to figure out something, but give us a break here!!

John Glover was again superb, and I KNEW that both he and Lex were going to grab at that knife at the same time...... (ok, I admit to another time I was yelling at my tv), so how long do you think it will take this "not so bright all the time" Clark to figure out what we already have??? Lionel, was never your friend Clark, so that means that Lex is the "friend turned enemy".... DUH! I figure they can string this out for quite a bit still.

ARGH, only 2 more episodes left of this season, but they look like they will be pretty amazing!!! Don't worry about the summer break Lynn, it's not that much longer that the looooooong stretch they do mid season that we just lived thru!! I have been with this show since season one, and [sigh], the only thing I can suggest is to be ready, coz I'm sure of two things. 1. the season finale will be amazing and designed to drive you crazy over the summer, and 2. next season will be very different from the other 3, coz every year when it returns, you spend most of the earlier episodes going "huh??, oh this is what it's going to be like this year".

Being a die-hard, true blue fan, I know I will be here to scream at the TV every week while defending the show to all "non-Smallville believers" <g> no matter what. So everybody, gear up for the 2 episode season finale that's coming, I'm SURE it's going to be a wild and exciting ride!!!

S (who can't believe this season is almost over grumble )

"Well, let's see, so far I've been given a glimpse of ritual crop worship, treated as your girlfriend, and I insulted your parents. No, I couldn't have planned this. Mmm, mmm." -- Lois to Clark, 'Green, Green Glow of Home'
#199791 05/06/04 05:55 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well maybe they are going to get rid of Pete. What good has he been anyway. Lana is going to Paris, maybe that will allow Clark and Chloe to go at it a bit. Finally Lex and Clark are defined as enemies and Lex thinks he is the hero. Intersting. Lex and his Dad made the show for me. Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
#199792 05/06/04 02:58 PM
E
Columnist
Columnist
E
Pete has been a good friend and confidant to Clark, something that Chloe will probably never be because Clark doesn't trust her, especially after finding out she was keeping a file on him, and the way she acted under the truth/kryptonite drug.

While Lana may turn out to be a trusted confidant, I somehow doubt that her role will be the same. Guys have different relationships with their guy friends than their girlfriends, just like women do. There may be a logical reason for Pete to leave, but if the WB would just give him some decent scenes, he wouldn't necessarily have to -- unless the actor has other plans.

And as for Lana going to Paris, something tells me she's not going to make it. I just don't think the WB would let her live her dreams as easily as that. This is Smallville, after all. Something is bound to get in the way.

I agree, you can definitely tell Tom Welling is older than 17. And I can see this Clark Kent being tempted to use his powers for his own benefit. Who wouldn't be?

I believe there's a hero in all of us that keeps us honest, gives us strength, makes us noble, and finally allows us to die with pride, even though sometimes we have to be steady and give up the thing we want the most. Even our dreams. -- Aunt May, Spider-Man 2
#199793 05/07/04 12:38 AM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
According to Kryptonsite, Pete is definitely gone after this coming week's episode. He will be an occasional guest star.

And since the WB's description for Covenant says that Clark finds Lana in a clinch, and his relationship with Lex takes a final turn...what else could it be .....maybe he just catches them kissing....

the ultimate betrayal....for both of them....

Still trying to figure out who Kara really is....

Chris

#199794 05/07/04 12:23 PM
E
Columnist
Columnist
E
My guess is that Kara's not who she says she is, but a clone or something.

I believe there's a hero in all of us that keeps us honest, gives us strength, makes us noble, and finally allows us to die with pride, even though sometimes we have to be steady and give up the thing we want the most. Even our dreams. -- Aunt May, Spider-Man 2
#199795 05/07/04 06:14 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
On another plot point, someone pointed something interesting out to me. If anyone has the show on tape fast forward to the exterior scene of the Talon right before they show the real estate agent showing the building. In the upper part of the screen just to the left of the Talon sign you'll see a flying object/figure accompanied by a whooshing sound effect. Hmmmmm....

Thoughts anyone?

Did is a word of achievement
Won't is a word of retreat
Might is a word of bereavement
Can't is a word of defeat
Ought is a word of duty
Try is a word of each hour
Will is a word of beauty
Can is a word of power

--Author Unknown
#199796 05/08/04 12:33 AM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Hey, I re-wound the tape and put it in slow motion, and it definitely looks like a figure flying up and over the Talon.

Interesting.

Unless it was a bird, but birds generally fly horizontally, not vertically...and it did look like a figure, not a bird.

Did TPTB put that in there to foreshadow Kara's appearance, since she obviously can fly??

I found a link of it that can be viewed by clicking here: Flying over the talon

This came from the Devoted to Smallville site.

Definitely a whoosing sound!!

Thanks for pointing that out...

Chris

#199797 05/10/04 03:08 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Wow, it really is!!! jawdrop It's defenitely something flying complete with "whooshing". How very interesting!!

Thanks for providing the link Chris..... I missed it when I was at DTS. (which by the way is a great Smallivlle site!!)

S (who's now going to think about this until Weds Night wink )

"Well, let's see, so far I've been given a glimpse of ritual crop worship, treated as your girlfriend, and I insulted your parents. No, I couldn't have planned this. Mmm, mmm." -- Lois to Clark, 'Green, Green Glow of Home'

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard