Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#199775 04/30/04 11:25 PM
Karen Offline OP
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
Talk about a bone-headed mistake worthy of Lois. Last night, I decided to wash my favorite shawl since it had a lot of cat hair on it. The tag said dry-clean only, but since I'd thrown dry-clean only stuff in the washer and dryer before, I didn't think anything of it. Until I pulled the shawl out of dryer. Now the fabric which used to go past my knees would barely cover my shoulders, and it's a lot thicker than before.

Does anyone know how to de-shrink/relax wool?

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
#199776 05/01/04 04:09 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You could soak it in Woolite(tm) and stretch it to the proper length, but I bet a dry cleaner would have a better solution.

TEEEEEJ

#199777 05/02/04 06:26 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
After looking through some knitting forums and other stuff I found online, it seems like you need to soak it (just water, nothing else seems to be necessary/recommended) and then re-block it. For a shawl, that presumably means stretching it somehow -- be careful to do it evenly in all directions.

And, no matter what you do, it will probably never be quite the same again. sad

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
#199778 05/03/04 01:06 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
The wool may have a memory of the trama and may bounce back to its small self after blocking it. If I remember correctly - that's laying it flat between thick stacks of wet towels for around a day. I've always been told never put wool in the dryer. Who knows. My mum is a knitting finatic and told me that. Hopefully that is wrong, for the sake of your shall. I'll keep searching too.

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard