Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
KathyB Offline OP
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
Watch this and it will make a believer out of you.

This was linked to on another forum I visit. Nothing too graphic (no bloodshed) but totally scary nonetheless. He's a big guy; can you imagine if this had been a child??

http://www.949zeta.com/noSeatBelt/noSeatbelt.html

Kathy

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Definitely scary, Kathy!

It does amaze me, though, that the seatbelt debate is still an issue anywhere. I can't speak for the rest of the world, but seatbelts have been uncontroversial in the UK and Ireland for almost 30 years; I remember the massive 'Clunk! Click!' campaigns growing up. Then when it also became compulsory for back-seat passengers to wear seatbelts - some time in the eighties, I think - hardly anyone batted an eyelid. We've had some scary ads, too, about the damage an unrestrained child in the back seat can do to the head and brain of an adult in the front seat even at impact speed of 30 miles per hour. It's not pretty. frown

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I spend too many evenings listening to tales from my firefighter husband on the carnage he has to mop up on shift to not be a believer long since, I'm afraid.

So many families left grieving when lives could have been saved so easily. It's truly heartbreaking. frown

If I had a penny for every time Stuart's ended with, "If they'd been wearing seatbelts, they'd have walked clear with bruising..."

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I don't think it's controversial so much as there are still plenty of idiots out there... here in NC, it's "Click it or Ticket." (In our accent it rhymes, really laugh )

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Merriwether
Merriwether
My car, like those of my parents, has a special feature. (Sadly, I have to explain this feature far more often to adults than kids, and the KIDS don't usually argue about it.)

It doesn't move unless all passengers are properly belted in. Period.

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
KathyB Offline OP
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
Most of the moms I know have the same rule, Rivka. I know I do, as do all my friends that I can think of.

The people I know who have taken grief about it are those who married people from other countries and the in-laws think they are crazy for putting their kids in carseats. Both a friend (whose mother-in-law lives in Mexico) and my brother (whose mother-in-law lives in Japan) have told of huge arguments to make the grandmas put their new grandbabies in carseats. They were each told it was "cruel" to make the baby ride in the carseat and they would be "so much safer in my arms". In each case, the only thing that convinced them was to be told it was the law in the US, that babies *must* be restrained. But even then, they had to listen to grumbling the whole car trip from the airport (after picking up said MIL for her visit to see the new baby).

I don't know what the laws are in those countries -- and I know my brother's MIL is from a very rural area, not a big city, so she might just not know what Toyko's law is, for example -- but clearly the US isn't the only country struggling with convincing everyone that seatbelts are the safest way to go.

Kathy

Merriwether
Merriwether
I agree, Kathy -- most parents do.

Sadly, all too many OTHER adults (including ones who are theoretically quite intelligent) do not. As I said, I've had adults object to my requirement far more often than kids. :rolleyes:

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
Merriwether
Merriwether
There are still a lot of arguments from the people who don't wear seatbelts, with "it's not comfortable" being one of the major reasons. Which I can see. One car I drove, unless I had a pillow at my back, the seatbelt would literally strangle me. (it was a bench seat that leaned too far back. The pillow made me sit up straighter, and made it a heck of a lot easier to see over the steering wheel) Then you hear safety reasons to not wear a seatbelt: My ex-stepmother rolled her car when she was 17, and survived. If she had been wearing a seatbelt, she wouldn't have legs right now. (Though that might not be a bad thing... bad Karen, stop that! evil )

Granted, those are extreme reasons, but sometimes it's hard to convert those who don't wear seatbelts. I used to not wear a seatbelt, but now it's a habit. *shrug*

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
Top Banana
Top Banana
Rivka, I've never heard of anything like that, but my parents' car had a thing in it that makes it start ringing this annoying tone if the driver isn't belted.

I've had to wear seatbelts even before I was allowed to sit in the front. The car my parents owned in Israel when I was about 4 or 5 didn't even have seatbelts in the back. Later they got a car with them, and I'm so used to it that I feel very prone to danger without it. My dad is very strict about the seatbelt issue, but most drivers I know aren't- everytime my best friend's father drives us somewhere we both sit in the back and I put it on while she doesn't, for example.

Julie

Mulder: Imagine if you could come back and take out five people who had caused you to suffer. Who would they be?
Scully: I only get five?
Mulder: I remembered your birthday this year, didn't I, Scully?

(The X-Files)
MLT Offline
Merriwether
Merriwether
I didn't watch the video. I didn't dare. I don't like rolling cars. After all,I've been inside three rolling cars in my life.

The first time I was 15. My boyfriend at the time was driving and I was distracting him. We hit the side of the road and he couldn't bring it back. The people behind us said that we rolled three times before coming to a stop. We weren't wearing seatbelts. I ended up getting thirteen stitches in my head.

The second time was with my parents and bunch of other people in a RV. There weren't enough seat belts in the back. I ended up on the bottom of the pile when the vehicle came to a stop.

The last time was last spring. I was driving - just me and the dog were in the car. And this time, I had my seatbelt on. I ended up hanging from the roof by my seatbelt. I didn't have as much as a scratch on me. (The dog was fine, too - even though she wasn't wearing a seatbelt smile ) When they pulled the car out of the ditch, the cop looked at me and said, "You got out of that!"

I'm definitely in favor of seatbelts (I'm just not sure my heart can take watching a video of a rolling car frown ).

ML wave

EDIT: Oh, wait! I assumed that the car in the video rolls. I'm not entirely sure why I thought it rolls. Can someone tells me if it does? It might be interesting watching it - provided the car doesn't roll. I don't like rolling cars.

She was in such a good mood she let all the pedestrians in the crosswalk get to safety before taking off again.
- CC Aiken, The Late Great Lois Lane
Top Banana
Top Banana
ML- the car doesn't roll. It's doesn't even move. We only see the guy move because the camera is located above the steering wheel. It's safe for you to watch that.

Julie

Mulder: Imagine if you could come back and take out five people who had caused you to suffer. Who would they be?
Scully: I only get five?
Mulder: I remembered your birthday this year, didn't I, Scully?

(The X-Files)

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard