Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#199205 02/09/04 09:37 AM
Blogger
Blogger
Now I know that *nursing your baby* in public is still not legal in parts of the US,
Are you for REAL???? You are kidding me right?

It was reported over here that Justin was allowed to attend only if he apologised and that same offer was extended to Janet. She declined.

The pink cat on the left is called Bagpus, why he's on a postcard eating a pasty I don't know. I think I accidently wandered into the surealist section of the BBC web page...
We spell it differently - pastie - and say it a bit differently too (I know you are all going to say we say EVERYTHING differently) The a is said to rhyme with car. But the actual food item looks the same.

But I digress smile1 hyper notworthy

"Certainty of Death. Little chance of success.... What are we waiting for?"

Gimli - Lord of the Rings - The Return of the King.
#199206 02/09/04 01:03 PM
Karen Offline OP
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
Also offensive ought to be KidRock's stars-n-stripes poncho (flag desecration) over a skimpy wifebeater shirt (where he definitely was showing nipple).
You know, I just thought he was draping himself in patriotism. Guess that flag can be taken different ways. goofy

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
#199207 02/09/04 01:46 PM
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
I personally find Kid Rock's unwashed hair far more offensive! :p

"Let us remember that there is a creative force in this universe, working to pull down the gigantic mountains of evil, a power that is able to make a way out of no way and trasform dark yesterdays into bright tomorrows. Let us realize the arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice."
-- Martin Luther King Jr.
#199208 02/09/04 02:32 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Just to clarify, there is NO state in the US that has a law banning breastfeeding in public. However, not all (yet) have laws specifically excluding nursing mothers from indecency statutes and/or specifically forbidding stores, restaurants, etc. from hassling mothers attempting to nurse there.

Personally, I nursed three (quite active!) children, in public when that's where we were, and don't think I ever violated the most Puritan of indecency laws. And I rarely attracted much notice either.

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
#199209 02/09/04 09:16 PM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
We spell it differently - pastie - and say it a bit differently too (I know you are all going to say we say EVERYTHING differently) The a is said to rhyme with car. But the actual food item looks the same.
Actually, here in the UK, the pronounciations are exactly the same. I'd say the spellings are too, but not sure if that's just that I'd spell them that way, or if it's universal. wink

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#199210 02/10/04 01:16 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well, in the UK the first syllable in pasty as in food item is pronounced as with pasta. But there's also the meaning related to complexion, as in pasty-faced: since this particular expression comes from 'paste' it's rhymed with hasty. smile

And I have never heard of a pastie/pasty meaning a nipple ring! eek

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
#199211 02/10/04 03:17 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Wendy -

I'm not sure if it's meant as a nipple "ring" per se, but rather as a round-ish type disk that is "pasted" over the areola/nipple area. A stereotypical version are the kind imagined in peep-show situations wherein the pastie has a dangling tassle extending from it.

The only legitimate reason I can imagine for wearing one is if a women expected to expose a very lacy bra that might reveal too much through the lace. A pastie could conceal some of that.

All in all, something that I imagine most of us normal gals would just want to steer clear of!

Lynn

You know that boy'd walk on water for you? Or he'd drown tryin'. -Perry White to Lois in Just Say Noah
#199212 02/10/04 06:07 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
All in all, something that I imagine most of us normal gals would just want to steer clear of!
As a complete coward who has to approach removing a sticking plaster with several hours of careful thought and who wouldn't use hot wax on any part of herself if you paid me - I'd agree with that one, Lynn!

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#199213 02/10/04 08:00 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
If by sticking plaster you mean band-aid, I have a suggestion -- my kids love getting band-aids put on but dread having them taken off. So to reduce trauma all around, now I just smear petroleum jelly all over the band-aid and wait a few hours. It dissolves the stickies and the bandage practically falls off by itself. smile

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#199214 02/10/04 08:52 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Wow, great idea, Pam. I'll have to remember that one. I generally use the bathtub method to the same end ... have them soak in the tub and the band-aid is usually practically falling off by the end, anyway, and what they do have to pull doesn't hurt nearly as much underwater. smile

As for the public breast-feeding, I have done my fair share, too, and think it's ridiculous that women can be harassed or even prosecuted for the amount of skin that shows. But you *do* hear of women being taken to court or kicked out of shopping malls, etc., every year, just for feeding their children. It doesn't get publicized every day, but organizations such as La Leche League hear about it routinely.

Personally, I've only had one negative experience and it wasn't in a public place but rather a Junior League committee meeting. A new member brought her 4 year old son to the meeting, then didn't deal well with his natural curiosity when I moved my chair into the corner to nurse my then 3-month old son. I was actually fine with it (though I could have dealt with a bit less distraction since I was trying to stay in the group conversation) but the other mom was clearly not pleased with having to explain to her son (or in her case, dance around *not* explaining) the mechanics of how my baby was eating. And I was not pleased with her displeasure. wink

As for the SuperBowl halftime 'wardrobe malfunction', I find the whole uproar to be ridiculous. I am much more concerned about my children being exposed to the lewd lyrics and dance moves of the other performers -- and the suggestive choreography of the Jackson/Timberlake number -- than I was about any skin that was exposed. I think it was a stupid thing to do, but the uproar about that and not the rest is hypocritical.

Kathy

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard