Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#198898 01/03/04 02:57 PM
Kitty Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
I found a great mobile store in UK but they only accept UK $$. They have such nice phones.

They have such a long list because the phones are so cheap. I'm so mecry (sad) because they don't accept US Money orders. They want me to send Cash.

frown Any suggestion?

#198899 01/03/04 08:21 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
If you have any friends or relatives in the UK whom you trust you can ask them to help you, like send them the money and have them take it there or something. I don't know much about this stuff, being only a high school student, but I wouldn't be sending cash, because that way there's no way to prove they ever get it and there's no record of it anywhere either.

(correct me if I'm wrong)

Mulder: Imagine if you could come back and take out five people who had caused you to suffer. Who would they be?
Scully: I only get five?
Mulder: I remembered your birthday this year, didn't I, Scully?

(The X-Files)
#198900 01/04/04 10:34 AM
Kitty Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
The place in question is this place but an ebayer has placed a warning ad.
samsung v205 e715 e700 nokia 6600 3650 p900 Item number: 3068887471

You are signed in Watch this item (track it in My eBay)

Starting bid: US $0.01

Time left: 1 days 13 hours
7-day listing
Ends Jan-06-04 03:22:02 PST
Add to Calendar
History: 0 bids
United States

Shipping and payment details

Seller information
myjettagl( 52)
Feedback rating: 52
Positive feedback: 98.1%
Registered Sep-20-03 in United States

Read feedback reviews
Ask seller a question
View seller's other items

Purchase Protection

Description (revised)

DO NOT BID

this is a link to a website that sells phones for $35 or the equivalent in the UK

many ebayers listed this add and are selling the link for up to $100....it's a fraud...a scam ... dont lose your money.....They get money by asking you to refer people to them to buy software and they reward you with a chance to get a free phone.. They make money while you lose it. BEWARE!!!!

the site is this ad warning

To send or not to send is the question.

#198901 01/04/04 04:13 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
First of all, if there is a warning on it, don't send money! And they insist that you send cash? Even more warning bells.

Second, do you know that a phone made for use in the UK will work here? They use a different system than we do, as far as I know. I would check this out very carefully.

So bottom line, I would not send them any money. No way.

Kathy

#198902 01/04/04 04:32 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Also keep in mind that no matter how good the deals are, the shipping will be a LOT higher. You're very likely to find a better deal in the US -- from ebay, perhaps -- once you factor in shipping.

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
#198903 01/05/04 02:45 PM
Kitty Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
First of all, if there is a warning on it, don't send money! And they insist that you send cash? Even more warning bells.
Oh, I'm not planning on sending them cash since they don't accept US checks. They only accept UK debit cards or UK checks.

Second, do you know that a phone made for use in the UK will work here? They use a different system than we do, as far as I know. I would check this out very carefully.
dizzy They do! I didn't know that.

Also keep in mind that no matter how good the deals are, the shipping will be a LOT higher. You're very likely to find a better deal in the US -- from ebay, perhaps -- once you factor in shipping.
I tried ebay. But everyone keeps outbidding me. I only want to spend $50. It makes me so mad when I get outbidded.

#198904 01/07/04 08:38 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Just thought I'd let you know that the February 2004 issue of Consumer Reports has a large review of cell phones -- everything from rating calling plans and service from the various companies, to rating the various phones available.

It also does a good job of explaining how different cell phone companies in the US use different systems and how phones that work on one system will not work on another -- and that even if you keep your phone number when you change to another cell phone company, you have to buy a new phone since the old ones can't be recoded (or rather, how your old company will refuse to recode it so you can reuse it).

You should be able to find this issue on newsstands now (I just got my subscription copy in the mail over the weekend) or your local libary should carry it.

In general, though, you should contact the company where you have cell phone service to see what kinds of phones they have available and what kinds will work with their service. You can't just buy a phone over eBay and expect that you'll be able to make it work with any given cell phone provider. However, if you are a new customer, you should be able to get a cell phone for less than $50 if you sign a contract -- they are always offering deals to get people in the door.

Kathy

#198905 01/07/04 03:18 PM
Kitty Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
I am looking into phones for T-mobile because I already are a customer of theirs.

#198906 01/08/04 10:52 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Consumer Reports lists the Nokia 3595 as being a phone that works with T-Mobile for only $40. They say it is widely available and offers a long battery life and talk time (given as 6 hours).

Among the ratings of Excellent, Very Good, Good, Fair and Poor, it's rated as Very Good overall, with more specific ratings of Good in "Voice Quality" and "Ease of Use", and Excellent in "Sensitivity" (measure of voice quality with a weak signal). It doesn't have any fancy features, but the phones that do are much more expensive -- $100-$300. They list it as one of the recommended choices for T-Mobile.

You should probably visit your local store and see how much they want for it.

Kathy

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard