Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Laurach Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Hi I was wondering what fond memories you all have of 2003 and what you are looking forward to in 2004.

2003:

My cousin Rich played the lead in Flower Drum song on Broadway!The whole family went to see him.

I finally got my husband to agree to put in to adopt a baby.

I started seeing a nutritionist to lose weight.

And last but not least, I kissed Dean Cain smack on the lips!<vbg>

Hopes for 2004:

A baby

Starting a new business from home selling specialty cards and restoring family photos and such.

I want to lose at least 50 lbs<g>

Um... another Dean encounter<g>

And most of all a happy healthy year for all of us.

Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
Y
Top Banana
Top Banana
Y
In 2003, I finished my Master's Degree, and I found an awesome lab to do my PhD in, and found out that my advisor designed the diaphragm prosthesis that was just implanted into Christopher Reeve.

In 2004, I hope to get a lot of work done on my PhD research, pass the PhD qualifying exam, and meet Christopher Reeve laugh .

I hope everyone has a wonderful 2004 smile .

- Laura

Laura "The Yellow Dart" U. (Alicia U. on the archive)

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve
Merriwether
Merriwether
2003 was a quiet year for me. Sort of a rest from 2002. But here's the highlights:

Went to my first Annual Training. Thought it might have been my last, too. *sigh*

Went to NYC for the first time. Saw both a Yankees game, and my first Broadway musical (Chicago).

Gained a nephew. And what a cute little boy he is, too. I spent a lot more time with him the first week of his life than I thought I would!

2004, I'm looking forward to gaining a niece. I just wish my brother and sister-in-law lived closer. I can't spoil both kids this way!

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
2003:

The period January-August was one of the best I've had in a long time.

- I became a FoLC, met wonderful people, and found a great friend smile
- I finished school with the highest grades in the whole school smile
- I passed the examinations for the First Certificate of English and Diploma Básico de Español with very good grades (partly because of the practice I had here smile )

The period September-December wasn't actually very good... Lots of pressure at school, not enough time to do everything I want to (I often have no time to study the piano and harmony classes, not to mention that I do most of my Spanish homework during the school breaks... frown ), lost some of my best friends because of various reasons, plus grades dropping significantly frown There was only one thing that seemed to be going better than usual, but still... not good enough <sigh...>

My hopes for 2004 (besides the usual triplet health-love-joy) are basically two:

- To have less pressure from school and more free time. (and improve my grades!)
- To improve my foreign languages, and especially pass the examinations for Diploma Superior de Español on November.

Here in Greece, every New Year, we cut a pie, where a coin is hidden. The one that finds the coin in their piece is supposed to be lucky for the rest of the year. For the first time in my life, I found it. Could this be a good start?
Let's hope so wink

Best wishes to everyone.
AnnaBtG. smile

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well, for me and mine the less said about 2003 the better, really; from an RL point of view, it wasn't a brilliant year.

However, the most important thing to happen in 2004 is that we will finally be emigrating!! Yup, finally got through the Canadian High Commission's Byzantine emigration application process, and we will have our visas within the next month.

And so, this summer, it'll be Canada, here we come!!!

Wendy jump

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Merriwether
Merriwether
Great idea for a thread, Laura!

2003 was a very good year for us, though it started out with a lot of unheaval.

** My husband started applying for new jobs (he's a college professor) last winter and got 5 interviews and 2 offers, both in the Midwest, where we wanted to stay. Signficant raise, fewer hours, much better students, much better public schools for our kids, great small town to live in and he's actually happy when he comes home from work instead of grinding his teeth. Not to mention the sastifaction of quitting a job that he had come to hate for something much better. wink Definitely worth having our lives turned upside down for an out of state move. smile

** We finally sold our old house in October -- months after we moved to our new house -- and are so relieved not to have to pay double mortgage and expenses anymore!

** My 2 1/2 year old started preschool two mornings a week this fall and with my 8 year old in school all day, I actually have some extra free time. Yay me. <g>

** I've made a bunch of friends here already, including a woman who is actually online in another show's fandom, so I get to talk about online things to someone in real life -- someone who actually understands about such obsessions and has gone through everything in her fandom that we've gone through in ours. wink Needless to say, this is a major coup. <g>

** I've lost 25 lbs since the end of July. smile

Hopes for 2004 ...

** That some more girls around my daughter's age move in nearby so we don't have to prearrage playdates with kids from school as often. She misses not being able to just walk out the door and have her pick of neighbor kids to play with.

** That I lose another 20-25 lbs to get down to my prepregnancy weight again, hopefully once and for all. Can't call it "baby weight" when your baby is heading towards 3. wink

Happy New Year, everyone!

Kathy

Merriwether
Merriwether
Well let's see:

smile I celebrated my first wedding anniv on Sept 1st. That made me very happy.

smile I went to the States for the first time over the summer (Around North Dakota and later in the summer to, more specifically, Mall of America).

smile Discovered the Folc world.

smile Started my CGA (accounting) designation. Finally starting something so I can start my adult life in a way. (To me).

smile Finally got help to help me with my severe anxiety and depression. I feel more alive now than I have in the past four years.

smile Lost about 15 lbs.

smile My dog celebrated her 17th birthday and she still acts like a puppy only she sleeps more.

smile Started hanging out with my old best friend again.

Hopes for 2004:

Loose more weight and gain back my muscle I had before I started working at McDonald's.

Get back into martial arts.

Get an accounting job.

One bad thing for 2003, had to get a loan for the first time, I hope in 2004 to pay it down and start saving up for a house!

Go out and conquer the world!

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.
Top Banana
Top Banana
Okay, good things from 2003:

*Joined the Royal Canadian Army Cadets
*Visited Blackdown (which is a military base)
*Graduated from my old school
*Started grade 10 in a new school
*Visited Newfoundland
*Improved my Spanish and French significantly
*Turned 15 laugh
*Joined the school newspaper
*Discovered fanfiction
*Wrote my first fanfics smile
*Made new friends here and in high school
*Got my own room (which is a big thing when you have an 8 year old brother)

Hopes for 2004:

*Improve my French even more
*Learn how to play the piano
*Perform in next year's school show (they'll be casting people this year)
*Turn 16 and therefore apply for a driver's license
*Catch up on my 'fanfic to read' list (which is big and growing) wink

Canada, here we come!!!
Wendy, where are you going to be living? (*cough* Toronto *cough*) laugh

Mulder: Imagine if you could come back and take out five people who had caused you to suffer. Who would they be?
Scully: I only get five?
Mulder: I remembered your birthday this year, didn't I, Scully?

(The X-Files)
Columnist
Columnist
Julie, I don't think I'm out of line telling you that Wendy and John are looking at Ontario, but not specifically Toronto.

Irene
who is thrilled to hear Wendy and John's news!!! smile

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.
A
Columnist
Columnist
A
This is a fun topic. Great idea, Laura. smile

Best things that happened in 2003:

- Led and coordinated all elections coverage for the paper named "Best College Newspaper in the Country". Subsequently named Editor in Chief.
- Celebrated the win of a Pacemaker (the college equivilent of a Pulitzer) for that paper, knowing that I not only contributed to the editing and production of the paper, but that I wrote the lead front article for at least one of the issues used in the judging.
- Moved out of an apartment I didn't really like into a much cuter townhouse, trading in two roommates I hated for one I adored.
- Quit a retail job that bored me to tears to take a job that I absolutely love (and that more than doubled my salary). Went from being taken advantage of to respected and treasured. Fell in love with the four sweetest children in the world, including twin girls who came home from the hospital just in time for Thanksgiving.
- Made some great new friends and managed to stay just as close as ever to my best friend, even though she had to move away six months ago.
- Spent a week frolicking at the beach with some of the best friends a girl could have, who I never would have met had it not been for folcdom.

Wishes for 2004:
- Take a few classes at the University (my degree is so close to finished) and actually enjoy them rather than being so stressed that I lose sight of the overall goal.
- Make new friends and reconnect with friends I've lost touch with.
- Do a good job as Maid of Honor for both the brides who have given me that honor.
- Continue to love my job, and take joy in all the little things as I watch the children grow and learn.
- Focus on some of the original writing projects I have underway and actually finish books rather than just starting them.

Annie

Being a reporter is as much a diagnosis as a job description. ~Anna Quindlen
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Like Wendy, 2003 wasn't a very brilliant year for me either. For some reason, a friend or a family member of mine dies every year. Two years ago, a good friend of mine was kidnapped and brutally killed by someone I knew even better. Later on, a friend and fellow classmate over four years dies of an overdose. It seems to go like this in some kind of pattern, so I was really nervous about what would happen this year: My cousin's wife who was just over 40 dies of a heart attack, and then a very good friend of mine dies at the age of 17, as the brakes on his moped failed and he was run over by the train..

So the best I can hope for this year is for this pattern to be broken.

I'm also hoping that my health will improve this year. Whether this requires an operation, I don't care: as long as I can go through 2004 without too many visits to the doctor.

These two things will make my year. smile

Of course, the topic is what *good* things happened in 2003, so I can't leave without listing those:

• I got two jobs. Okay, so I hate one of them, but it pays rather well, so it'll do for now. The other one is pretty interesting and fascinating as I get to learn a lot about how the body functions, and how one can feel a lot better. So I sell the products that will help someone. smile

• I finally posted the first part of my story. smile1 That certainly was a major step for me. <g>

• After having *a lot* of problems with my horse, Kurt, who just never seemed to get well. Blood, intestines, you name it - by using some new, specialized and improved hay, he's now actually 100% well and is now acting like a foal again. smile1

Hopes and dreams for 2004?

• Finish school with good grades!

• Post the stories that are in my hard drive.

• Again, post the trailers that are in my hard drive.

• Move away from Moss.

That's all I can think of for now. Best of luck to everyone for the new year! smile

Pelican

Such a little thing really, a kiss...most people don't give it a moment's consideration. They kiss on meeting, they kiss on parting, that simple touching of flesh is taken entirely for granted as a basic human right.

Susan Kay
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hmm...the best of 2003 for me:
  • Jumped back into the Catholic Church
  • Made some of my best friends
  • Dumped that wreched chemistry major and started studying graphic design
  • Discovered my love for writing comedy fics
  • Made friends in Folcdom!
  • Started getting along with my mother

Hopes for 2004:
-Stay in touch with a few friends that will be leaving in May
-Find a part-time job that pays more than $5.40 an hour.
-Exercise and sleep more.

Jen smile

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Nice idea for a thread, Laura smile

Have to admit that 2003 wasn't a great year for me, either. Broke my left wrist days before writing my first fanfic [stupid dog; don't ask] then broke my ankle, then fell of a stage [:0] and sprained my other one... the term 'walking disaster' doesn't cover it <g>. And, worst of all... on the day before Christmas Eve, my college announced [officially, that is - rumours had been flying since a couple of weeks before that] that they're not going to be running my Law course any more because of poor attendance. Great way to start 2004, huh?

Good points of 2003?

• The first and most obvious; joined FoLCdom and made a lot of good friends wink Can't list you all, because I'm sure to leave somebody out, but you know who you are <g>

• *gasp* *gasp* *re-gasp* Wrote and posted my first, second, third, fourth, fifth... umm, lost count <g> fanfic, which was certainly a step forward...

• Started a hopefully illustrious singing career [snork]

• Re-juvinated my love of piano.

Hopes for 2004?

• [and I *know* I'm going to regret saying this!] Finish Unfinished Business [gosh, I hate that title <g>] *soon*, and finish Expectancy by late May.

• Succeed in getting Pel to write and post all of those lovely WIPs she's been telling me about wink [I've seen your post, Pel, so I'm holding you to it!]

• Learn guitar.

• Somehow get Wendy to delete that sound off her HD. Mwhahahahaha.

• Do the writing course I'm doing *properly*, and get the job offered as a result...

All I can think of right now, but I'm sure there's more. Just for the record, thanks everybody who I've met, on IRC or otherwise, who truly made 2003 a year to remember smile

Sara.

Death: Easy, Bill. You'll give yourself a heart attack and ruin my vacation.

Meet Joe Black
Top Banana
Top Banana
Great idea for a thread, Laura! smile

Let's see what are the good things that happened in 2003:

• All the times I went to the UK to visit friends count among the best times I've ever had. smile
  • The end-of-the-schoolyear-party, where my pupils had a huge success with their choregraphy on S Club 7's Don't Stop Movin'
  • Getting selected for an exchange programme to spend time in the UK (even if the morons at my school messed up afterwards, I was originally selected, and that was nice)

Now... what do I wish for 2004, besides health and love...

• Finish Near Wild Heaven II. I know I say that every year, but I really want to wrap it up and post it at last. I also want to finish other fanfics, but this one is top of the list.
  • Spend more time in the UK - that starts in less than ten days, since I'll be doing a teaching practice in Manchester for a month. smile
  • Go back to Italy (yes, El, that's a hint laugh ).
  • Take a part-time job so that I can finally take my English degree and set the goal for myself to become an English teacher in the university.
  • Build a bridge to Canada... all right, I'm kidding. But still, if there's an architect around here with a lot of money, a lot of time to invest, and a brilliant idea to get past the technical problems, I'd be first in line to use said-bridge. goofy

Kaethel smile

- I'm your partner. I'm your friend.
- Is that what we are?
- Oh, you know what? I don't know what we are. We kiss and then we never talk about it. We nearly die frozen in each other's arms, but we never talk about it, so no, I got no clue what we are.

~ Rick Castle and Kate Beckett ~ Knockout ~
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Well, 2003 was a pretty routine and quiet year for me. More or less.

The best thing about it? These mbs and meeting a whole new set of fun people thanks to them. Not to mention just plain having so much fun with all the regulars too.

Things to hope for in 2004? Well, I'm determined to finally stop procrastinating and keep up with my healthy diet/exercise regime and finally make this the year I return to full fitness.

Do some writing? Maybe.

That's about it really. <G>

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well, let's see... what's happened to me in 2003...

I think the biggest one would have to be getting my anti-depressants worked out so that I could finally feel like a normal human being. And in a very much related development, I also lost forty pounds. smile1

We found out that, despite our worries, our daughter is physically and neurologically normal.

My son Michael started mainstream first grade this year, and he's doing pretty well.

Michael's school psychologist thinks I'm an *excellent* mother and a pretty sharp cookie, and she wants me to go back to college and get a degree in psychology. smile Not to brag, here, it's just that it's a nice confidence-booster for all those moments when I'm convinced I'm an idiot! goofy

These message boards -- the best birthday present I've ever gotten laugh

Had the best visit *ever* to my in-law's place, over Christmas. Even if we did all get the flu.

Started writing again!

Okay, so, hopes for 2004:

Michael gets past the problems he's having in school.

Our family finances get a little less tight! smile

A stress-free, fun-filled Kerth season, whether I win or not.

Winning a Kerth <g>

We get to see out-of-town family more frequently.

I'd love for my mother to wise up and get rid of her psycho dog and not get a new one! peep

I hope there aren't any huge terrorist attacks and that the little ones would stop

And, last but not least, I hope W. gets re-elected, although *first* I want the Democrats to nominate Howard Dean, and have him pick Wesley Clark for a running mate, because I really really want a bumpersticker that says Dean/Clark laugh

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Top Banana
Top Banana
Wow. 2003 is really over, isn't it? Let's see, looking back it was a mixed year, a little bit of good and a little bit of bad but overall, kind of quiet.

Best of:

• What started out as a bad thing - getting laid off from a job at a company that I loved - turned out to be great because I rediscovered LnC and that lead me to finding this place.

• Screwing up the courage to actually show people something that I'd written and receiving positive feedback which has encouraged me to continue.

• Taking a writing course that I just loved

• Having my daughter start Kindergarten, which, along with my son being in preschool two mornings a week, has given me a few free hours of my-time.

Hopes for 2004:

• Finish my novel enough so that I can start sending it to publishers with the serious intention of trying to make a go of writing

• Lose 20 lbs. Hahahahahahahahahah. Who am I kidding.

Lynn

You know that boy'd walk on water for you? Or he'd drown tryin'. -Perry White to Lois in Just Say Noah
Top Banana
Top Banana
Last year has been quite eventful, with many good things happening for me. Unfortunately, some bad things overshadow the good things. But I'm doing my best to forget that.

The good things of 2003:

* I've been to New York City for a week. One of the best weeks of my life. smile

* I have met a couple of Folcs and had a wonderful time with them.

* I've finally quit judo.

* I've found places for my internships.

* I've written my first fanfics and that's the start of my writing career.

As for 2004:

* Going back to the US, and meet some of my friends there.

* Graduate from journalism school.

* Studying a year abroad.

* Find a new sport so I can lose some weight.

Saskia

I tawt I taw a puddy cat!
A
Blogger
Blogger
A
Great Idea! Here's Mine:

smile1 Returned to work in a new position with a higher salary!!

help I make it through our first sleep-over party involving 16 1st & 2nd grade girls!

HAPPY NEW YEAR party

A_A

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
What a great idea! It's so cool to see everyone's great accomplishments. Here's a few of mine....

blush Graduated from Syracuse University in May (Cum Laude)!

laugh Lost 25 lbs. since May (got interested in exercise)!

clap Got a job in my field (art history) - I work at the Brooklyn Museum of Art!

notworthy Joined this MB, published my first L&C Fanfics, and met some amazing people!

:p Got a new fish tank and new fishies, my old fish is still in good health, as is my dog!

sloppy Attended my cousin's wedding, got to reacquaint with some family members I didn't know so well (my 8-year-old cousin is my new best friend)!

-Wanda Detroit (my renewed interest in FoLCdom is definitely a highlight of 2003. Thank you, everybody!)

"He's a man. I'm a woman. Do you want me to draw you a diagram?" -Lois Lane, I've Got a Crush on You.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard