Print Thread
#198565 11/22/03 11:17 PM
LabRat Offline OP
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Well, I've been having a real old Stargate wallow to myself recently, trawling through my early seasons tapes. <happy sigh>

So now I'm in the mood for some good fanfic. Anyone got any recommendations? Websites?

I'm in the mood for some hurt/comfort, angsty, waffy, Jack/Sam shipper stuff. Long and in depth stories rather than vignettes. Or I'll take Daniel in trouble (he's always so cute when he's in trouble <g>) at a pinch. wink

Thanks!

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#198566 11/23/03 06:51 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Ooh. You know, sometimes it's just hard to find good authors, so I started keeping track of the SG1 ones. Here's a list of the websites I compiled:

Jojo - She mostly has short stories, but there's a few good long ones in there, too

Sally Reeve - Mostly romance, and long stories

Jo - She has some interesting series and shorter stories

FrondFic - Actually a website for several authors. I highly recommend Doc's stories. Not much romance, but a lot of angst and action

SuzVoy - Another author with a bunch of short and long stories

SelDear - Good stories of both types

Alli - Has lots of good stories, both short and long, and a few series.

Denise - Quite a few shorter stories

Dietcokechick - Only has a few "finished" stories, but the ones in progress are pretty good. Her Barista series isn't finished, but they're on an ep-by-ep basis anyway. (Ooh, new part...)

SJFA - The latest results of the Sam & Jack Fanfic Awards. You can find links to the best stories there. It's how I found most of the authors. And it should also help you pick out the individual stories that you're looking for.

Most of the shorter stories these authors write are episode-related, often as a tag or an interlude. I'd go through and pick out some of the better stories, but I'm afraid I'd get stuck reading them again, and I'm supposed to be doing homework.
sad

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
#198567 11/23/03 08:14 AM
LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Karen, you're a star! Thank you!! smile1

LabRat (looking forward to checking these out) hyper

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.

The Musketeers
#198568 11/23/03 11:19 AM
D
Blogger
Blogger
D
Labrat,
You also may want to check out the SG1 archive at Heliopolis

Frank

Monolithic biavicide ......... Killing two birds with one stone
#198569 11/24/03 12:43 AM
LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Thanks, Frank. smile

LabRat smile (who has been having a whale of a time reading some terrific fic...Counterbalance whinging )

The Musketeers
#198570 12/06/03 08:20 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Hi Labrat,

The topic title caught my attention. wink

Have you discovered The Stargate Novel Archive ? Its got lots of epic length fanfics. I'd also second the recommendation to read anything by Doc, her story, Go and Catch a Falling Star is one that I always go back to when I'm needing some 'comfort fic', tho it does have a lot of angst. Another two I'd recommend are Andromeda and the Exile, Suspension & Asylum series both by Alli Snow and can be found on Heliopolis (I think) or her own site http://www.two-lights.net/fanfic.html . There's a lot of her stuff I haven't read as it contained spoilers for episodes I hadn't seen at the time, but what I have read was very good.

Hope you enjoy, I'm off to see if I can find Counterbalance. smile

Loriel

"Inappropriate attachment" didn't begin to cover the depth of the feelings Vaughn had for Sydney Bristow.
~Ties That Bind by RJ Anderson~

I ramble at http://www.livejournal.com/~loriel_eris
#198571 12/06/03 12:03 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Loriel, that story is one of Sally Reeve's. Check it out at the link I posted for her above. laugh And I agree with all of those stories.

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
#198572 12/07/03 12:03 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Thanks, Karen. smile I found it last night (Google is a wonderful thing! wink ), but it was set S7 sometime and I'm only halfway through S6. frown However she had some other really good stories which I read and enjoyed (2001 was excellent) and I'm going to save Counterbalance to read when I finally see S7.

Loriel

"Inappropriate attachment" didn't begin to cover the depth of the feelings Vaughn had for Sydney Bristow.

#198573 12/07/03 02:52 AM
LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Thanks, Loriel! I'll check these out too.

And, yes, do check out more of Sally's stories on her website - she was the best find I've had in fanfic in years. (Can't thank Karen enough for nudging me in her direction) Absolutely mind-blowing stories. I especially loved Double Discovery because it dealt with issues that irritated me on the show. <G> But all of them were superb. Her characterisations are so spot on it was like adding some new episodes to my tape collection. smile1

LabRat (bit frustrated because she's gone through all her tapes and hasn't gotten through the need for a fix yet. Eeep! Now going back to the beginning and starting again, while still searching for ever more fic. Yes, it's sad, isn't it? <G> )

EDIT: Okay, just read the first paragraph of Doc's 'Falling Star' fic...and choked up already. goofy Think I might owe you a drink or two too, Loriel. <g>

The Musketeers
#198574 12/07/03 09:05 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Labrat, you'll be in *floods* of tears by the end of ...Falling Star, I'm welling up just thinking about it! whinging I was going to spend the afternoon catching up on L&C, however I started reading some of Sally Reeve's stuff (Thirty Eight Weeks and War Games and now Crossing the Line) and that was me, there was no return! I'm reduced to a pile of mush. I never even watched the ep of SG1 that was just on (taped it tho), I was so caught up in Sally's stories!

Oh, and I love your sig. wink

Loriel

#198575 12/16/03 05:47 AM
LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Back again briefly, because I'm such a happy bunny I have to share. <G>

As far as I knew until ten minutes ago, S7 of Stargate was the last, and I was already starting to mourn. And then, while surfing around aimlessly this afternoon, I discovered the news that S8 has been greenlit (since July apparently, why'd no one tell me! <g>).

Made my entire day. (Also made up for the fact that I accidentally set the VCR wrongly last night and ended up settling down with a cupasoup and a blank screen instead of Evolution II. Arrggghhh)

smile1 smile1

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
#198576 12/16/03 06:00 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Doh! I thought you knew. I'm anxiously waiting for more information on season 8. smile1

I'm still upset that you guys got part 2 before us. I'm sooo tempted to hit the newsgroups to download it. They're going to re-air it on Sky One and Sky One Mix, but I'm not sure when.

*mumbles about Brits talking about the ep on the mailing list, but still reads the posts avidly!*

#198577 12/16/03 06:12 AM
LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I'm still upset that you guys got part 2 before us.
I'm even more upset we got part two before you and I messed up on recording it. razz

But even more happy to discover that apparently the second half of season seven, going into season eight contains some seriously shippy moments. thumbsup From the spoilers, can't wait to see Grace

BTW, which newsgroups do you use to dl eps? I'm missing some which I'm kind of getting too anxious to see to wait for SKY to roll around with repeats.

LabRat smile (still on a high...)

The Musketeers
#198578 12/16/03 06:35 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
I usually check alt.binaries.multimedia. I'm waiting to see if alt.binaries.stargate-sg1 will have them, but my program apparently isn't downloading the headers. I'll have to check again when I get home.

As far as repeats, I looked at the previous posts on the mailing list. It's apparently on Sky One Mix tonight at 8, and Sky One on Saturday at 7.

#198579 12/16/03 09:10 AM
LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Thanks, Karen. smile

Now, all I need to do is remember to pause the family Christmas party on Saturday night to set the VCR rolling. goofy

LabRat smile

The Musketeers

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard