Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#198464 11/11/03 02:22 PM
Karen Offline OP
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
Hey guys, I need some help, and I figured everyone here comes up with great ideas...

Anyway, I'm planning on making a lullaby cd for my sisters-in-law, both of whom are expecting in the next few months. I'm coming up short on song ideas, though. So far, I have "Stay Awake" from Mary Poppins, "Baby Mine" by Bette Midler (that's the version I have), and "A Final Dream" by Trans-Siberian Orchestra. I'm also thinking of including Brahms Lullaby, if I can find it. This, of course, doesn't fill up a whole cd.

So, can anyone think of some really good lullabies to include on the cd?

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
#198465 11/11/03 03:31 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
This might not be quite what you have in mind, but there's a song by the Barenaked Ladies called "When You Dream" and it has the feel of a lullaby (a slow song; music-box chords going in the background) and the lyrics suggest its a song that a new parent would sing to a newborn. It's really pretty and even a little haunting, but I love it.

Ems

Molly
#198466 11/11/03 04:55 PM
A
Columnist
Columnist
A
I'm not entirely sure what you're looking for. If you are looking for traditional lullabies like The Itsy Bitsy Spider or Rockabye Baby, I could give you a huge list. But I think what you're looking for are more mainstream songs, ballads, that are about children. If that's the case, I Hope You Dance (by LeeAnn Womack) was hugely popular for awhile. Good morning, Beautiful (by Steve Holy) isn't necessarily about a child, but I like that interpretation (and used it as the basis for the final story in my New Krypton series.) Also I have a soft spot for Kenny Loggins' song Back to Pooh Corner.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. I'll let you know if I think of any others.

Annie

Being a reporter is as much a diagnosis as a job description. ~Anna Quindlen
#198467 11/11/03 05:51 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
If you choose to go multicultural, there are lots of choices. smile

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
#198468 11/11/03 07:37 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
What about "Feed the Birds" from Mary Poppins? That was sung as a lullaby too.

Julie

Mulder: Imagine if you could come back and take out five people who had caused you to suffer. Who would they be?
Scully: I only get five?
Mulder: I remembered your birthday this year, didn't I, Scully?

(The X-Files)
#198469 11/12/03 02:40 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
'Summertime... and the livin' is easy...'

I just love 'Summertime' from 'Porgy and Bess'!

'Your daddy is rich and your momma's good-lookin'
'Hush, little baby, don't you cry...'

In my next fanfic (yes, I'm writing again!) this is Lois's favorite lullaby to sing her baby daughter to sleep. drool

What a great idea to make a lullaby CD. thumbsup

Ursie

Lois: Well, I like my quirks. I think they make me unique.
Clark: You certainly are unique.

Clark: You're high maintenance, you know that?
Lois: But I'm worth it!
#198470 11/12/03 04:55 AM
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
Mahalia Jackson does one of the best covers of "Summertime" that I have ever heard. Anyone who hasn't heard it yet should check it out.

I always liked "The Last Rose of Summer" as a soothing lullaby song but it's really sad.

"Let us remember that there is a creative force in this universe, working to pull down the gigantic mountains of evil, a power that is able to make a way out of no way and trasform dark yesterdays into bright tomorrows. Let us realize the arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice."
-- Martin Luther King Jr.
#198471 11/12/03 09:55 AM
K
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
K
The Dixie Chicks do a song Godspeed, Sweet Dreams (I think that's the title, someone correct me if I'm wrong?) that's a lullabye to a little boy.

Also, Billy Joel has a song called Goodnight, My Angel (Lullabye).

Hope that helps a little!
Kaylle

#198472 11/12/03 01:38 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
been thinking about this one for a bit, karen. i don't know too many lullabies other than the one my mom used to sing to us, and i don't know if it has a name (other than "lullaby") or was ever recorded.

you know what? i hadn't thought to do this until i actually started posting, but i'm going to write the lyrics here, see if anyone recognizes it.
lullaby and goodnight, my sweet <kid's name>
lullaby and goodnight, oh <nickname> dear.
you are so tired and so sleepy
sleep, sleep, sleep.
oh <nickname> of ours, sleep.

mommy loves you, daddy too.
we are so proud of you-ooo-ooo.
sleep, sleep, sleep.
darling <name or "baby"> of ours, sleep.
you can sing it in rounds, and sometimes i like to change "mommy" and "daddy" each round, so as to include the whole family.

wish i could add in the tune. it's a really great lullaby. works like a charm.

anyone know it?

other than that, i have two suggestions.

first, never make an angry face when looking for a lullaby. wink

second, i'm not sure if this is exactly what you're looking for, but have you considered "as i lay me down to sleep" by sophie b hawkins? it's a really cool song, and it's soothing, but it's also got a very complex, multi-layered melody.

hope some of this helps. good luck. smile

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
#198473 11/13/03 10:29 AM
Karen Offline OP
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
Thank you, so much, for all of your suggestions. I've pretty much got the cd full now, so all I have to do is make copies and the cd inserts for them. I've been acquiring and listening the past few days, and I'm about to fall asleep after hearing all of these songs. I just hope both Moms and babies will like them. laugh

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
#198474 11/13/03 10:46 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I'm about to fall asleep after hearing all of these songs.
LOL, Karen! laugh

I just hope both Moms and babies will like them.
Are you kidding? After all the effort and hard work you put into this project? Trust me, you'll be their favorite auntie! smile1

PS

Mahalia Jackson does one of the best covers of "Summertime" that I have ever heard
Birdie, I totally agree! smile

Lois: Well, I like my quirks. I think they make me unique.
Clark: You certainly are unique.

Clark: You're high maintenance, you know that?
Lois: But I'm worth it!
#198475 11/13/03 11:26 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
How about John Lennon's....ack what's it called?! Baby Boy... sorry the name just ran out of my head.

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.
#198476 11/13/03 11:35 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I don't think this one was mentioned, but it's so pretty. Charlotte Church sang a version of it.

All the Pretty Little Horses

Lois: "Kent is a hack from Smallville. I couldn't make that name up."

Read my Journal: http://www.livejournal.com/users/anni_the_diva/
#198477 11/13/03 01:48 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Roo, I think you mean Beautiful Boy . It is a lovely song. smile

EM, that site you linked to has great songs! The House At Pooh Corner is a favorite of mine. thumbsup

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
#198478 11/13/03 04:56 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
AH yes! Thanks. clap

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.
#198479 11/13/03 05:09 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I used to sing 'Through the Eyes of Love' to my babies.

Missy

#198480 11/14/03 02:01 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Brady really liked Amazing Grace (?!? I know) and biplane evermore by the Irish Rovers and The Circle Game which was originally by Joni Mitchell but I had a cover done by a personal friend which was better I thought.

Marns
~pobody's nerfect
#198481 11/16/03 03:29 PM
Karen Offline OP
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
Whew! Again, thank you thank you thank you all for your suggestions. The first CD is made and given out. It was sent along to a baby shower yesterday, but I couldn't attend since I was at work. The Mom-In-Law called today and said that everyone thought it was a great idea, and they loved it. They were looking at the song list that I put on the back of the case and agreeing they were great. She and the Mommy couldn't wait to actually listen to the songs. I've got the warm and fuzzlies now. blush smile1

For the curious, here's what I ended up with:
1. Stay Away - Mary Poppins
2. Feed the Birds - Mary Poppins
3. The Prince of Egypt (River Lullaby) - Amy Grant
4. When You Dream - Barenaked Ladies
5. Baby Mine - Bette Midler
6. Goodnight, My Angel - Billy Joel
7. Brahm's Lullaby
8. Claire de Lune - Debussy
9. Sleepytime Skies - Disney Lullabies
10 Someone to Watch Over Me - Disney Lullabies
11. Godspeed (Sweet Dream) - Dixie Chicks
12. Lullaby - Fourth Avenue
13. Rainsong (fortune's Lullaby) - George Winston
14. Winken, Blinken, and Nod - Joanie Bartels
15. Back to Pooh Corner - Kenny Loggins
16. Caoineadh Cu Chulainn - Riverdance
17. When She Loved Me - Sarah McLachlan
18. As I Lay Me Down To Sleep - Sophie B. Hawkins
19. A Final Dream - Trans-Siberian Orchestra
20. Never Alone (Eeyore's Lullaby) - Tyler Collins
21. Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star

I had to delete a few songs, since only 80 minutes will fit on a cd. I'm pondering doing a second cd for variety, but the first one almost put me to sleep.

Oh, BTW, I almost thought of Beatles songs, but the MIL is a big Beatles fan, buying the John Lennon baby collection left and right... so I figured it might be nice to have something not-quite Beatles related. *grin*

Thanks again!! laugh

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard