Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#198163 10/15/03 12:39 PM
Julie S Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Can I have some help with my English homework? blush My parents don't speak native English (neither do I but I speak good english laugh ) so I'm turning to you guys: what does the expression "to chew on one's ear" mean? (Except for what it means literally smile )

Thank you so much!
Julie

Mulder: Imagine if you could come back and take out five people who had caused you to suffer. Who would they be?
Scully: I only get five?
Mulder: I remembered your birthday this year, didn't I, Scully?

(The X-Files)
#198164 10/15/03 12:57 PM
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
I always understood it to mean talking a lot. For example, my friend Crystal can talk for hours and usually "chews my ear off" with all her chatter.

Other opinions may vary.

"Let us remember that there is a creative force in this universe, working to pull down the gigantic mountains of evil, a power that is able to make a way out of no way and trasform dark yesterdays into bright tomorrows. Let us realize the arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice."
-- Martin Luther King Jr.
#198165 10/15/03 01:04 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
I have always heard it "to chew someone's ear off", which means to talk and talk and talk...! The idea is that one person is talking non-stop, and the unfortunate one who's ear is being chewed off can't find an excuse to get away, so they're forced to stay and listen.

- Vicki

Edited to add: oops! Birdie beat me to it! What she said.

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
#198166 10/15/03 01:19 PM
Julie S Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Thanks A LOT!!! smile

Julie

Mulder: Imagine if you could come back and take out five people who had caused you to suffer. Who would they be?
Scully: I only get five?
Mulder: I remembered your birthday this year, didn't I, Scully?

(The X-Files)

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard