Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
You know, "Look at the S-car go!"
That's not funny. goofy

"I don't like people to talk for no reason, but I really love dialogue between people who aren't listening to each other." --Raymond Carter
Columnist
Columnist
Another thing that I've been wondering about... In Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, where the Dursleys go to the zoo for Dudley's birthday, there's a sentence that reads, 'They ate in the zoo restaurant, and when Dudley had a tantrum because his knickerbocker glory didn't have enough ice cream on top, Uncle Vernon bought him another one and Harry was allowed to finish the first.' So can anyone tell me what a knickerbocker glory is in this context?

There are some other words that I'm not sure what they mean, but I can't remember them offhand - as I'm rereading the Potter books again, I'll post to ask when I come across them again...

Thanks!

Melisma (slinking back under her Rock for a while)

Do, or do not. There is no try.
- Yoda
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Knickbocker Glories come in a tall glass with a long-handled spoon (when I was a kid I thought that spoon was the height of sophistication <G>) and are layers of fruit and ice-cream, usually topped with whipped cream, a cherry, and a fan-shaped waver.

The actual specifics though differ depending on which cafe or restaurant you buy one in; each will have its own version. A quick troll through Google brought me up recipes including nuts or hundred-and-thousands sprinkled on top, using raspberry syrup between layers, and using chopped up squares of Orkney fudge at the bottom, just to name a few. /me feeling hungry now...

Oh, and they are to drool for, of course. wink

LabRat smile (who has no idea why they were named after an undergarment... goofy )

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Well, I got curious, so I gave Google another workout. <G>

Sometimes a dish gets its name from an imaginary or literary character. Such a one is the Knickerbocker Glory, a confection of ice-cream, jelly, fruit and cream served in a tall glass. It was first documented in the 1930s and may have been inspired by Diedrich Knickerbocker, the fictitious author of Washington Irving’s History of New York, (1809).
LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Columnist
Columnist
Thanks, Rat! Now I know why Harry was so happy - I would love to try one too, and to heck with my diet smile

Melisma (also getting hungry, here under her Rock)

Do, or do not. There is no try.
- Yoda
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard