Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Recently we were watching a children's video, 3-2-1 Penguins, and one of the characters is from England, a GrandMum type, don't you know.

Anyway, she mentioned several dishes by local names and I have no idea what they are.

Bangers and Mash

Something called swib <?>

and

Haggis, but her description of Haggis is not what I thought it was.

James

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
James, bangers and mash is sausages and mashed potato. That's real sausages, not the weird flat stuff you get in some US restaurants.

I have never heard of swib, or even anything sounding remotely similar.

Haggis is a Scottish dish - LabRat or Loriel could tell you more about it than I can. All I know is that it's spherical in shape, and that the ingredients are sewn up in the lining of a sheep's stomach. What those ingredients are I could not tell you!

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
LabRat can tell you that she's never tasted it and has no intention of if she can help it. Bleah. <g>

Here's a traditional Haggis recipe, I found on Google:

Lady Login's Receipt, 1856

1 cleaned sheep or lamb's stomach bag
2 lb. dry oatmeal
1 lb chopped mutton suet
1 lb lamb's or deer's liver, boiled and minced
1 pint (2 cups) stock
the heart and lights of the sheep, boiled and minced
1 large chopped onion
1/2 tsp.. each: cayenne pepper, Jamaica pepper, salt and pepper

Toast the oatmeal slowly until it is crisp, then mix all the ingredients (except the stomach bag) together, and add the stock. Fill the bag just over half full, press out the air and sew up securely. Have ready a large pot of boiling water, prick the haggis all over with a large needle so it does not burst and boil slowly for 4 to 5 hours. Serves 12.

No idea what the lights of a sheep are and somewhat terrified to find out really. goofy

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
James, bangers and mash is sausages and mashed potato. That's real sausages, not the weird flat stuff you get in some US restaurants.
Personally, I prefer the links to the patties...you can usually specify links and get them in most places...

More on 'swib' in a moment...

1 lb lamb's or deer's liver, boiled and minced
the heart and lights of the sheep, boiled and minced
Ok, that gibs with what the Grandmum said.

Eeww, that sounds disgusting.

As to lights...that has to do with the lungs...truly disgusting.

As to 'swib', that was sort of a typo, I meant to type sqwib or it could be squib. I'm sure that I will be watching the show again tonight(This will be the 15th or 16th time...) I'll turn on the CC to see if I can get the spelling.

I also had another question...Why would the GrandMum refer to her grandkids as 'bugs'?

James

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Now, funnily enough, when I was posting earlier I did wonder if you'd meant squib as that rings faint bells with me. The problem is I have absolutely no idea why. cat

Eeww, that sounds disgusting.
Yeah, now you know why I've successfully avoided it for all these years.

As for bugs - beats the heck out of me.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Do you mean squid, by any chance, James? A squib isn't food, as far as I know... we do talk about a damp squib, as in something (like a firework) which hasn't exploded properly...

Wendy confused

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Merriwether
Merriwether
I don't suppose it could be a squab? That's a baby pigeon, and people do eat them.

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I think GrandMum is saying "little bunks" not bugs...

Can't help you on the squib thing, tho. Unless it was bubble and squeak?

PJ
who has also sat through this video many many many times wink but can't find it right at the moment, to check

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Columnist
Columnist
Over on this side of the pond, the haggis is sanitized a bit for North American palates. I had it once where they left out the heart and lungs and all this bits most of us here won't eat, and it was actually quite good. But I won't be volunteering to eat any of the authentic stuff!

Irene

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.
Y
Top Banana
Top Banana
Y
Eeeeew! Haggis sounds disgusting.

It sounds even more disgusting than czarnina or "duck blood soup." It's a Polish delacacy. Growing up, my parents used to tell me it was "chocolate soup" so my sister and I would eat it. We wondered why they called it chocolate, though, because it didn't taste like it at all razz , but we ate it and enjoyed it. However, since I found out the ingredients, I haven't been able to eat it since.

Here's the delicious recipe very similar to the one my grandfather's sisters used to use. http://recipe-beef.com/01/009034.shtml

- Laura U. smile

Laura "The Yellow Dart" U. (Alicia U. on the archive)

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve
Top Banana
Top Banana
The Haggis recipe reminds me of a Pennsylvania Dutch (Amish) food called "scrapple". Basically, it is cornmeal and pork, cooked together til thick, then allowed to set (like an Italian polenta). My grandfather had this for breakfast everyday. (We kids could never be convinced to try it.) He would slice it and fry it in butter, then eat it with maple syrup on top.

I tried searching the web for a recipe, but the ones I could find all called for "pork shoulder". That's not the way I remember it being made. As I recall it was made from the left over "scraps" of meat (hence its name), such as the pigs knuckles, heart, liver, etc. Mmmmm!

- Vicki wave

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
<shudder> Scrapple. I'd forgotten about it 'til you mentioned it... my step-dad ate it for breakfast a lot, with syrup on top... smelled nauseating.

I did like some PA-Dutch food, though. Loved how they did chicken pot-pie, which unlike what everyone seems to think, was not actually a pie with crust, top or bottom, just chicken and squares of pasta in gravy. Down here, I can find a fairly close substitute called "chicken & dumplings." mmmmm.... oh, and potato bread. I love potato bread.

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Originally posted by ChiefPam:
I think GrandMum is saying "little bunks" not bugs...

Can't help you on the squib thing, tho. Unless it was bubble and squeak?

PJ
who has also sat through this video many many many times wink but can't find it right at the moment, to check
Well, according to the CC it is bugs, but your are right, it is Bubble and Squeak that GrandMum was referring to...

On a side note, when I was telling Elisabeth about the Haggis, she said, "Is that why McDonald's food is so popular in Scotland?"

James

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
On a side note, when I was telling Elisabeth about the Haggis, she said, "Is that why McDonald's food is so popular in Scotland?"
Actually, this Scot prefers Burger King. goofy Chicken Royale...yum.

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
Top Banana
Top Banana
...and this Scot-by-birth-if-not-by-parentage absolutely loves haggis. smile Which is odd, because if anyone's squeamish about eating weird bits of animals, it's me. The thing is, though, you can't tell what you're eating, because it's all minced up together into tiny pieces and it just tastes like spicy, meaty, dry mince with lots of oatmeal mixed in. Add neeps (turnips) and tatties (mashed potatoes) and you've got a meal made in heaven. smile

On a side-note, I've never heard anyone talk about 'GrandMum' over here. Granny, Gran, Nanna, Nan - that's about all I can think of right now.

Yvonne

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
The thing is, though, you can't tell what you're eating,
Yeah, I have this experience with Scotch Pies.

I'm usually the most squeamish eater when it comes to icky bits, but no matter how many times I'm told the 'meat' in them is reclaimed, steamed off the corpse, offal, eyelids, etc <g> I still love them. Seems spices go a long way. wink

Although not a healthy diet option at all, so these days I tend to steal them off Stuart when I just can't resist temptation any longer and then feel terribly guilty. goofy

LabRat

The Musketeers
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I've tried vegetarian Haggis and it's lovely... maybe you should all give up meat too, it's a lot less riskier that way, no nasty bits in my dinner laugh

As for Bubble and Squeak... I once had to explain this to an American tourist when I worked in a restaurant as a waitress, and it didn't go to well. Basically it is fried mashed potato and cabbage... usually yesterday's leftovers... and it too is lovely. It's called bubble and squeak because that's the sound it makes when it's cooked.

After past my experience with the tourist, I must stress that 'Bubble and Squeak' is the name, there is no 'bubble' as a seperate entity from 'squeak'. You cannot have bubble and no squeak or vice versa. This was a concept she just wasn't able to grasp. I think she had the chicken pie in the end wink

Other dishes you may come across:

Toad in the Hole: Yorkshire Pudding (which aren't sweet at all, but a type of batter) and sausages (not flat wink )

Spotted Dick: A type of sponge pudding (sweet this time) with currants (which make it looked spotty).

Faggots and Peas: A type of meat ball... with peas (small green vegetable wink )

Mushy Peas: Green gunk found in a tin, or bought from the chippy with your cod and chips. You can make it yourself apparently, but I've never actually known anyone who does.

Hope that helps

Helga

Knowledge is knowing that tomatoes are a fruit.

Intelligence is not putting them in a fruit salad.
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
yes, that was very helpful.

Thank you.

So is there any other strange European dishes that need to be revealed???

James

Merriwether
Merriwether
Well, I hear in some countries they eat tiny, slow racecars.

You know, "Look at the S-car go!"

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
Top Banana
Top Banana
S-car go? wave

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
You know, "Look at the S-car go!"
That's not funny. goofy

"I don't like people to talk for no reason, but I really love dialogue between people who aren't listening to each other." --Raymond Carter
Columnist
Columnist
Another thing that I've been wondering about... In Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, where the Dursleys go to the zoo for Dudley's birthday, there's a sentence that reads, 'They ate in the zoo restaurant, and when Dudley had a tantrum because his knickerbocker glory didn't have enough ice cream on top, Uncle Vernon bought him another one and Harry was allowed to finish the first.' So can anyone tell me what a knickerbocker glory is in this context?

There are some other words that I'm not sure what they mean, but I can't remember them offhand - as I'm rereading the Potter books again, I'll post to ask when I come across them again...

Thanks!

Melisma (slinking back under her Rock for a while)

Do, or do not. There is no try.
- Yoda
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Knickbocker Glories come in a tall glass with a long-handled spoon (when I was a kid I thought that spoon was the height of sophistication <G>) and are layers of fruit and ice-cream, usually topped with whipped cream, a cherry, and a fan-shaped waver.

The actual specifics though differ depending on which cafe or restaurant you buy one in; each will have its own version. A quick troll through Google brought me up recipes including nuts or hundred-and-thousands sprinkled on top, using raspberry syrup between layers, and using chopped up squares of Orkney fudge at the bottom, just to name a few. /me feeling hungry now...

Oh, and they are to drool for, of course. wink

LabRat smile (who has no idea why they were named after an undergarment... goofy )

The Musketeers
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Well, I got curious, so I gave Google another workout. <G>

Sometimes a dish gets its name from an imaginary or literary character. Such a one is the Knickerbocker Glory, a confection of ice-cream, jelly, fruit and cream served in a tall glass. It was first documented in the 1930s and may have been inspired by Diedrich Knickerbocker, the fictitious author of Washington Irving’s History of New York, (1809).
LabRat smile

The Musketeers
Columnist
Columnist
Thanks, Rat! Now I know why Harry was so happy - I would love to try one too, and to heck with my diet smile

Melisma (also getting hungry, here under her Rock)

Do, or do not. There is no try.
- Yoda
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard