Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
rivka Offline OP
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
Try this quiz then. laugh

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
Features Writer
Features Writer
Hey, I got an 8 out of 10! clap

I think it's pretty good for a person that has English as a second language (Portuguese being the first), isn't it?

Did anyone else take the test?

malu

RL Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Darn. I only got 8 out of 10. frown

-- Roger

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." -- Benjamin Franklin
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Nice work!
Do you diagram sentences in your spare time? You got 10/10 correct.
Yay!!! smile1

Methos: "I'm easily amused."

(Indiscretions - Highlander: The Series)
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yay El!! clap

And...
Nice work!
Wendy smile (who has never diagrammed a sentence in her life confused )

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Top Banana
Top Banana
I got 9 out of 10.

In an attempt to "out-smart" the test, I chose an answer I would never actually say in real life, thinking it was probably the "correct" answer. Turns out what I've been saying all along was correct. (it was the quesion about "bad", "badly" and "awfully".) Oh, well.

- Vicki wave

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hey, thanks, Rivka! <g>

I've been thinking that I might soon have to fix up a simple grammar test for new, incoming GEs - but this will do nicely as a basis. Especially as it covers many of the most common errors GEs find themselves correcting in Archive submissions. wink

Thanks for saving me some time and work! goofy

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Blogger
Blogger
I got seven..the three that I got wrong seemed as if they were trick questions so i went against what I would have originally picked... :p

Katryna*
Lois n Clark fan since 1995!

CLARK:There's no such word as Chumpy.
LOIS:Sure there is. Someone's a chump, therefore he's chumpy!
CLARK:Try again.
LOIS:Are you challenging me?
CLARK: You bet your sweet little chumpy I am.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well, no, I don't think I'm that good at grammar... wink And the test backs me up, too! help But at least I didn't say "could of"! Ah, well... that's what BRs and GEs are for, right?

PJ
cool

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
J
jwb Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
J
As someone who has had their writing described as a "grammatical nightmare", I was surprised to get a 7/10. That's better than I thought it would be!

Truthfully, I answered the test using what I'll call my common-every-day english. Since it was a test, the questions I missed I knew I would miss because I've been told by so many BR's and GE's that I'm doing those wrong. I knew the answers to them all, but I still get the same ones wrong over and over again. When I used to write, I'd just put the words on the paper and not worry about grammer.

And it shows. wink

--
Jeff
rivka Offline OP
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
Ack! Irregardless! /me runs for the hills

For whatever reason, that one just about makes me break out in hives. wink

Glad the quiz was enjoyed. And Labby, glad it is useful for you.

I got 10/10 too, and I haven't diagrammed a sentence since I was required to do so in HS. laugh

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
Top Banana
Top Banana
I got 8 out of 10. Not bad. laugh And I'm not surprised about the ones I got wrong. For as long as I can remember, I have troubles with 'bad or badly' and 'lay, lie, etc.'

Saskia

I tawt I taw a puddy cat!
A
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A
Do you diagram sentences in your spare time? You got 9/10 correct.
Yay!! goofy

Anne >^,,^<

"I only know how to make four things, and this is the only one without chocolate." Lois Lane "All My I've Got a Crush on You 10/24/1993
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
/me flies back to her nest and *stays* there!/

I got 9/10.. mad

The one I got wrong was number 7. My only consolation is that I learned something new.

Well, well, better luck next time, I hope smile Thanks for sharing, Rivka!

Pel goofy

Such a little thing really, a kiss...most people don't give it a moment's consideration. They kiss on meeting, they kiss on parting, that simple touching of flesh is taken entirely for granted as a basic human right.

Susan Kay
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I knew the answers to them all, but I still get the same ones wrong over and over again.
Ah, we all have one or two, Jeff, that we have a mental block on, so you're not alone. wink

It took me years to train my typing fingers not to write definately. My brain knew it was spelled definitely, but would my fingers listen?

I had one person tell me that it was the kind of spelling error her teacher used to throw chalk at the class for and if I did it again she'd throw chalk at me, too. Several weeks later, I opened a letter from her and got covered in a cloud of pink dust. Yup, it was all that had survived of said chalk after it's brush with Royal Mail. goofy

I got there eventually mind you. wink

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.

The Musketeers
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
8/10! I hope I have such a score in the F.C.E. exams too laugh

I missed two questions:
1)the question with bad/badly/awfully. I had suspected it would be 'bad', since badly and awfully means nearly the same thing, but as I'd say awfully... that's what I chose.
2)the question with lay/lie/laid. My teacher has meticulously explained the verbs lie/lay/lain, lay/laid/laid and lie/lied/lied and I know that I know them perfectly. But somehow I thought the expression was 'I lay down to sleep' for present, so 'I laid down to sleep' for past.
Or maybe it was just the Spice Girls echoing in my head while searching the answer... I knew I should've turned the Media Player off blush

Oh, and LabRat, are you really going to make THIS a GE testing method? It's very easy!! (Look who's talking laugh )

Anyway, see ya.
AnnaBtG.

P.S.: What's 'diagramming a sentence'?

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Nice work!
Yay!! Elena, give me five! smile1

Ursie

Lois: Well, I like my quirks. I think they make me unique.
Clark: You certainly are unique.

Clark: You're high maintenance, you know that?
Lois: But I'm worth it!
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Oh, and LabRat, are you really going to make THIS a GE testing method? It's very easy!!
Nope, Anna. wink Like I said in my post - it can form a basis of a test. Not an entire test.

Ursie - LOL. Not looking for GEs at the moment, no, but may be in the future. I was just pondering the other day that I should really have a test on file, that was all and then along came Rivka to save me some work. wink

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Not looking for GEs at the moment
thumbsup

Ursie

Lois: Well, I like my quirks. I think they make me unique.
Clark: You certainly are unique.

Clark: You're high maintenance, you know that?
Lois: But I'm worth it!
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
Well, wasn't that fun and exciting? goofy I got 10. I think I would have been disappointed in myself had I gotten less after suffering through that linguistics class two semesters ago.

Samik.

"I don't like people to talk for no reason, but I really love dialogue between people who aren't listening to each other." --Raymond Carter
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard