Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#197612 08/09/03 03:42 PM
ErinK Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Sorry about this REALLY off topic post blush , but I was hoping I could get your help! smile1 ) and I thought it might be fun to put "slug bug" or something like that on personalized plates.

Help me out here, would you? Tell me what you've used!

Thanks! smile

~~Erin

I often feel sorry for people who don't read good books; they are missing a chance to lead an extra life. ~ Scott Corbett ~
#197613 08/10/03 12:01 AM
Columnist
Columnist
Here in Ontario, Canada, it's 'punch buggie,' Erin. However, I've modified the rules completely.

If you're being chauffeured around when you see a Volkswagon, you must remember that the driver of your car is exempt from being whacked. Also, moms are *always* exempt!

Irene smile

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.
#197614 08/10/03 02:34 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
I've heard punch bug and slug bug. We currently use slug bug, with "slug bug insurance" so we don't get hit back (I can't remember why this was done, it's been 8th grade since I learned the rules). I wish the driver was exempt in our game, but since there's only the 2 of us in the car, it doesn't quite work that way. Which usually ends up in me getting a sore arm/leg! Maybe when we have kids... wink

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
#197615 08/10/03 07:12 AM
Columnist
Columnist
It was always 'Punch Buggy ______', where the blank was the color of the Bug you'd spotted.

LOL, my mom tells me that when she was growing up, one of her older sisters wanted to have a pink VW Bug with purple polka-dots. Or is that the other way around?? Seems to me that one of the first times I can remember visiting that same aunt and uncle, they came and fetched us in a sky blue Bug. No polka-dots...

Ah... memories smile

Melisma (unable to sleep, here under her Rock - and she's gonna pay for it, tomorrow, too...)

help grumble mad :rolleyes:

Do, or do not. There is no try.
- Yoda
#197616 08/10/03 05:17 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Chalk up another vote for Punch Buggy.
smile

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#197617 08/10/03 05:40 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
And yet another. (for Punch Buggy)

- Vicki wave

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
#197618 08/11/03 01:00 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Off the top of my head, I'd say "beetle bug" but "punch buggy" sounds awfully familiar, too.

And cool! Take a picture for us smile

PJ
trying to imagine how you'd fit two grownups and five kids into a bug...

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#197619 08/12/03 08:23 AM
A
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A
Originally posted by Melisma:
It was always 'Punch Buggy ______', where the blank was the color of the Bug you'd spotted.
Here, and in Florida where my sister and nephews live, it's the color then "punch buggy," ie "Red punch buggy, don't punch back."

I've never heard those other versions.

Anne >^,,^<

"I only know how to make four things, and this is the only one without chocolate." Lois Lane "All My I've Got a Crush on You 10/24/1993
#197620 08/12/03 11:16 AM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I've never heard of the entire game. <g> Gee, sounds like we missed out on heaps of fun when we were kids. (I could have had endless fun bopping my kid brother when I was younger) wink

So, now I'm curious...why VW bugs in particular? Because they weren't common? Or because they were? <G> Some other reason entirely?

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#197621 08/12/03 04:15 PM
ErinK Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Originally posted by LabRat:
So, now I'm curious...why VW bugs in particular? Because they weren't common? Or because they were? <G> Some other reason entirely?
You know...I don't know. huh All I know is that I had a heckuva lot of fun bopping my siblings--and not getting in trouble for it. laugh

Thanks for sharing, you guys! I'd never heard the "punch buggy" version. Fun how different areas have used different things. smile

~~Erin

I often feel sorry for people who don't read good books; they are missing a chance to lead an extra life. ~ Scott Corbett ~
#197622 08/12/03 04:56 PM
Y
Top Banana
Top Banana
Y
Aaah great memories of hitting my sister and not getting punished wink . We would always say "punch buggy (color)" then hit the person in question, and then scream "no punches back" so they weren't allowed to punch us back.

My cousin learned a lesson about punch buggys, though, because she hit me really hard when I was driving and it made me almost get into an accident on the freeway -- so we no longer play the punch buggy game.

I do think it is a regional thing. I've never heard it called anything other than a "punch buggy" smile .

- Laura smile

Laura "The Yellow Dart" U. (Alicia U. on the archive)

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve
#197623 08/12/03 05:27 PM
S
Blogger
Blogger
S
My kids played Punch bug, punch buggy, and slug bug. Sometimes they added the color, sometimes not. And there was definitely a "no punch back" call.

#197624 08/13/03 02:43 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
They used to be fairly rare, where if you were lucky, you'd see 1 a month. But since VW started putting out more beetles, the hits are fast and furious sometimes. I've been hit 5 or 6 times in one day, and that was no more than 2 miles from my house.

Oh, almost forgot a variation my husband came up with. A few years back, they started making Beetles with a greenish color called "Turbonium", which they advertised the heck out of. Turbonium bugs get an extra punch. So it's usually "*punch* Slug bug insurance *punch* Turbonium!"

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
#197625 08/13/03 08:00 AM
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
I've always heard slug bug, but we never played the game.

As a side note, a friend of mine has a yellow beetle, which, when I saw in the parking lot of our building after I first met her, I knew instantly was hers. It fits her personality perfectly.

Samik.

"I don't like people to talk for no reason, but I really love dialogue between people who aren't listening to each other." --Raymond Carter
#197626 08/13/03 08:19 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
For us, growing up, it was always 'punch buggy (color)' and of course 'no punch back'.

Which was all well and good and lots of fun too...except for the part where the neighbor across the street had a green VW bug. So every time we left the house or returned from somewhere, one of us got hit. (Except mom, who was exempt, until recently <eg>. Apparently once the child reaches 18, the mother is no longer exempt - according to my sister. ) My sister and I had a large number of bruises on arms and legs courtesy of each other growing up...good thing neither ever got seriously injured because social services would have had a field day with all of our bruises once we got to the hospital.

Jill goofy

Beaker: Special Talents: Scientific assistant, Victim
Last Book Read: "1001 Meeps to a Bigger Vocabulary"
Quote: "Meep! Meep! Meep!"
Never Leaves Home Without: Medical Coverage
#197627 08/13/03 08:43 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
We always had "punch buggy (color), no punch back", too.
ah, good times smile

and DocJill:

Which was all well and good and lots of fun too...except for the part where the neighbor across the street had a green VW bug.
ROTFLMAO! thanks for the laugh!

~shells

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.

- Mahatma Gandhi
#197628 08/14/03 02:30 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
If you're still taking votes (and I've seen a picture of the car, neiner, neiner, neiner goofy ), add another one to the "Slug Bug" column.

I've never heard Punch Buggy before, but it seems to have been pretty common, based on the number of responses here! smile

Oh, and considering Erin's van has No1FoLC as the license plate, I think she definitely needs to make sure she finds something good for this one. <g>

Kathy (who really, really wanted to choose CHUMPY for her last car, but my husband overruled. <g>)

#197629 08/17/03 04:10 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I've never heard of punch bug, it was always 'Slug bug; no return. I got it first!' and my kids still play that to obsession. My six year old has added jeeps, speedy Mustangs, Hummers and 'headless cars' to the mix.

Enough to make me want to scream sometimes with four or so kids *and* my husband playing at the top of their lungs. dizzy

Missy

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard