Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#197516 07/28/03 08:24 AM
Saskia Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
With so many people around here, and so many different interests, I was hoping you guys could help me with my little dilemma. confused

As a lot of you probably know, I love sports, and like to actively sport as well. So I've been practising judo for nearly 15 years now, on a high level for some years as well. But latetely, my interest in judo is fading. smile1

I tawt I taw a puddy cat!
#197517 07/28/03 10:14 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Writing fanfic. It's the best sport ever, and only hurts your wrists, fingers and brains. And occasionally your tush when you get disembowelled. evil

Kaethel wink

- I'm your partner. I'm your friend.
- Is that what we are?
- Oh, you know what? I don't know what we are. We kiss and then we never talk about it. We nearly die frozen in each other's arms, but we never talk about it, so no, I got no clue what we are.

~ Rick Castle and Kate Beckett ~ Knockout ~
#197518 07/28/03 10:18 AM
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
Well, I recommend swimming. It involves no danger for your ankles and knees and to me, who am not at all the sports kind of girl, it has been pleasant and interesting. I had been practicing it for 5 years, and only stopped 3 years ago due to reasons I couldn't control... But I still miss it a lot/sigh...

Anyway, you should try it.

See ya,
AnnaBtG.

P.S.: It's a very good thing that you like sports.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
#197519 07/28/03 11:07 AM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
How about archery? Always enjoyed archery, myself. And it can be fairly competitive if you want to take it that far. Or just enjoy it as a casual sport.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#197520 07/28/03 11:23 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
I would tend to agree with swimming being your best bet for low-impact exercise. There are also some things that can actually strengthen your joints. Ballet and gymnastics, for example -- although in both cases, you must be careful not to push yourself.

Slightly off-topic . . . Kae, why is it that disemboweling would hurt one's tush? confused Dunno how y'all disembowel around here, but the traditional methods mostly involve the lower abdominal area.

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
#197521 07/28/03 11:41 AM
J
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
J
Saskia, you're in the perfect country for canoeing or kayaking. Table tennis or golf would be challenging. And just plain old walking is excellent exercise.

Happy sporting!

smile Jude

dance

"Simplify. Simplify."
Henry David Thoreau

"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle."
George Orwell
#197522 07/28/03 02:05 PM
Columnist
Columnist
Hey Sas!

I've gotta put my vote in for cycling. laugh It's my absolute favorite sport cause it's hard work, tons of fun, and you get to see a lot of the city or countryside go by.

As far as your ankles, it will acutally strengthen them a lot. I had very weak ankles when I started and I could sprain them doing practically anything, but I haven't hurt them at all since I starting cycling.

The affect on your knees will depend on the type of injury you've had in the past. Cycling is good for some types of knee injuries and not good for other types. I'd say give it a try and see how your knees feel after a few miles. smile

Okay I've rambled on enough about cycling. I hope you have fun, whatever sport you choose!

~Anna

#197523 07/28/03 08:35 PM
Kerth
Kerth
Hi, Sas!!!

I vote for swimming smile No gravity. hyper

I'm not sure about the impact on the knees for cycling... but remember that you're not going to run the Liege-Bastonge-Liege... and in that country of yours there are some... uh... small ramps.

Jose peep

"Practice up your shielding spells...and remember to duck if you see green light coming your way."

Harry Potter to Wizengamot in OotP trial

A Bad Week in the Wizengamot
#197524 07/28/03 11:07 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Slightly off-topic . . . Kae, why is it that disemboweling would hurt one's tush? Dunno how y'all disembowel around here, but the traditional methods mostly involve the lower abdominal area.
Aaaaah, yes, but I have non-traditional methods. Since most of the gentle authors seem to run away at the sight of shears 8< 8< 8< then the shears are facing their back instead of their front. So it's easier and faster and just as effective for those handy flying shears ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~8< to disembowel their tushie. It's become a tradition now; several tushies have been disembowelled in the fandom already. wink

Kaethel smile (Shears 101 Teacher at the School of Evilness, whose Headmaster is none other than the great, the grand, the terrifyingly evil... Elena!)

- I'm your partner. I'm your friend.
- Is that what we are?
- Oh, you know what? I don't know what we are. We kiss and then we never talk about it. We nearly die frozen in each other's arms, but we never talk about it, so no, I got no clue what we are.

~ Rick Castle and Kate Beckett ~ Knockout ~
#197525 07/30/03 06:47 AM
Saskia Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Thanks for the replies guys, it's mostly what I came up with myself.

Well, I recommend swimming.
This is probably going to be my next sport. I've always enjoyed it, it won't give me more injuries (unless I don't pay attention in the pool and hit my head wink ), it's not expensive and there's a pool close by.

How about archery?
And become the next Robin Hood? wink That would certainly make sure to keep me busy. I've never been able to figure out how those kids toys work, so it would take me forever to learn with the real things. And whatever sport it's going to be, it won't be competive again. I'll only set goals to high for me and get dissapointed again. So just for the fun!

Ballet and gymnastics
Oh dear! Absolutely fun sports. But ballet is out of the question, it's way too much of a burden for ankles, and I'd like to continue walking. (yes, my ankles are that bad already) Besides, I'm not that lithe. You should have seen me at highschool sometimes when we did gymnastics. blush

Saskia, you're in the perfect country for canoeing or kayaking.
I am? I always thought Belgium was more the country for that, which is quite a drive for me. And I know that it's been practised, but not exactly in my neighboorhood. But maybe I should find more about it on the Net.

I've gotta put my vote in for cycling.
How surprising, Anna. wink It's indeed good for ankles and it won't hurt my knees. Guess that's why I used to go to school and work on my bike. I've recently started cycling to work again. But it certainly depends on what kind of cycling you mean. Racing like those guys on the Tour de France? On a mountainbike? Or the normal kind like the Netherlands are known for? Because I like the latter best. And discovering a bit of the environment here is definately a plus, it's so beautiful here now!

So that leaves only one more suggestion:

Writing fanfic. It's the best sport ever, and only hurts your wrists, fingers and brains. And occasionally your tush when you get disembowelled.
I'm definately worried about my tush then. But if I sport one night a week, there are six left for writing... guess that's why I'm good at procrastinating then. Too much time on my hands smile So I'll try to combine it and save my tush.

Thanks again guys! I think I've almost reached my decision. smile1

Saskia

I tawt I taw a puddy cat!

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard