#197493 07/20/03 03:20 PM
D
Dan Offline OP
Blogger
OP Offline
Blogger
D
Hi:

Someone told me that if I use the word "some" before a plural noun, I mean at least 6. For example: if I said "some people" in a group of 6, I mean all of them.

Is this true?? Is this a real grammatical rule? I've never heard of it before. (Then again, I never paid too much attention in classes. goofy ) If it's true, how should I describe 3~4 in 6~9? It somehow doesn't seem right to use "most" or "many", does it?

"Several" maybe?

Merriwether
Merriwether
My dictionary backs up the way I've always used it -- of a certain unspecified number (empahsis mine). I've certainly never heard of any rule regarding "some" referring to any given number.

Surely "Some of my fingers got sticky," cannot mean at least 6? And "Some of the people in the crowd were becoming impatient," seems to me to imply far more than 6. huh

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

I'm not good in grammar, but I found this pages there more clear if you read them.

Plural Noun Forms
http://webster.commnet.edu/grammar/plurals.htm

Possessive 's:
's to a singular noun
(') to a plural noun

http://grammar.englishclub.com/nouns-possessive.htm

Determiners: Some and Any
http://grammar.englishclub.com/adjectives-determiners-some-any.htm

Uncountable Nouns:
http://grammar.englishclub.com/nouns-un-countable_2.htm

Index Guide to Grammar and Writing and Principles of Composition.
http://webster.commnet.edu/grammar/index2.htm

MAF huh
Good luck!

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I'm with Rivka, some isn't used refer to any specific number of objects in group.

I shall now quote from my grammar bible (which is Swan's 'Practical English Usage' - I like it because it has pretty colours in it)...

"Some is a determiner. If often suggests an indefinite quantity or number, and is used to when it is not important to say exactly how much/many we are thinking of."

I don't always agree with books, but I do on this smile I can't really think of a situation where some could mean 6...

Helga
(The difference between some/any being one of the many English grammar points that she can teach wink )

Knowledge is knowing that tomatoes are a fruit.

Intelligence is not putting them in a fruit salad.
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I'm with Rivka too. I've never heard of this one before and, as her examples make clear, it doesn't seem to logically hold water.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
D
Dan Offline OP
Blogger
OP Offline
Blogger
D
Thanks for the links and the reassurance. smile

So, say there's a list on which 6 or 7 books are mentioned. If I say I've read "some" books on that list, a sensible person will not mistake it for the statement: I've read all of them, right?

Again, thanks for your help. smile

Merriwether
Merriwether
If someone said that to me, I would figure, at least 2 or 3, not more than 4 (or maybe 5).

Now, as to whether I qualify as a "sensible" person . . . huh wink

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
Columnist
Columnist
My LSAT (Law School Admissions Test) teacher told us that some means "at least one" and that it could mean up to all of the group. I don't know if this only applies to the test or to grammer in general, but I thought I'd throw it out there for consideration.

When I hear the word "some" in everyday conversation I usually think that it means a significant number of the group, probably not more than half. I don't know what that's worth, but I thought I'd throw that out there too. wink

~Anna

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard