Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#197430 07/16/03 04:02 PM
Kitty Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Yay! But do you get the same jokes I do? Grr! It's so annoying - I'm as meek as a lamb, really
Try being called a "Ching" every since you were a teenager or when someone kneels down to a karate position right in front of you! mad mad

I went to a High School where a lot of the black people there always makes fun of the only two Chinese girls in the whole school. All because of my High School experience, I'm weary around black people and always think that their out to get me.

I can't just brush it off as easy as some people can. mad grumble mad

#197431 07/17/03 12:44 AM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Kitty - perhaps it would be easier if you replied on the thread from which this quote came?

Otherwise it's a bit confusing for the reader, as they have no idea of the context of the discussion or what the quote you're responding to refers to.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#197432 07/17/03 07:21 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I'm sure that was a painful experience for you, Kitty -- no one likes being made fun of for any reason. But since you know first-hand how hurtful prejudice can be, why do you continue to practice it?

All Chinese people are not identical; neither are all black people. To react to one person because of treatment you received years ago from another person is somewhat less than rational. I understand it may seem like an automatic reaction by now, but that's the kind of thing you *can* change, if you want to and if you're aware of it.

Just a thought smile

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#197433 07/17/03 09:32 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I know one little comment by me won't make anything easier, but my uncle's black. He's one of the nicest, funniest guys I know. I do hope one day you'll meet a few more people like that.

Take Care.
Jen

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#197434 07/18/03 02:59 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Umm.../me ducks

I think that maybe that quote was mine? I'm not sure though...seem to remember it being in connection with red hair?

Yeah, I got all those jokes during my years at school - people sterotype you for a particular thing in your appearance and it's very annoying, not to mention insulting.

But your story was so much worse than mine, Kitty! I have an auntie who is Sri Lankan, an uncle who is Chinese, countless English relatives and two aunts who are Buddists - it's amazing the amount of bias that is out there today.

Even when in school if I mentioned that I had English connections, there was an almighty uproar about how English people came into Ireland, taking our land and killing our men, women and children. This was from schoolkids - it's even worse when it comes from adults.

I have always have strong opinions on matters of race and creed and the amount of abuse my black aunt and cousins used to get made me so angry. But they never let it get to them.

I asked my aunt why once, and she replied that less than a century ago, she would have been getting so much worse. Ideas change and people change - and when people change, society changes.

I may sound a little naĆ­ve saying this, but I honestly believe that there will be a time when all people will be accepted for who they are, whether they are black, white, man, women, child, short, tall, thin or fat.

All you have to remember that "your most attractive feature is your heart and soul" and that people who slam you for superficial reasons are very, very sad.

Regards,
Sara.

Death: Easy, Bill. You'll give yourself a heart attack and ruin my vacation.

Meet Joe Black
#197435 07/22/03 02:57 PM
Kitty Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Wise beyond your time.

Lets just say that I can hold a grudge very well. You know you shouldn't but you do.

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard