Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#197357 07/10/03 08:54 AM
Sorcha Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
ahem.../me slides shyly into playground and waves...

Hey everybody smile1 I get the exact same thing <it doesn't help that I have red hair <g>> so it was really lovely to hear from her.

Now this got me thinking...how many Irish FoLCs are actually out there? <I know of two, but I hope that's not all :p > I've never met anybody over here who liked the show, so I was wondering...Irish connections, born in Ireland, lives somewhere else, born somewhere else but lives here, born and lives here, I would like to hear from ye all. So if you have the time...please?

Sara (curious blush )

Death: Easy, Bill. You'll give yourself a heart attack and ruin my vacation.

Meet Joe Black
#197358 07/12/03 10:29 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I'm mad at a certain friend of mine, cuz I sent this certain person the thread, and this certain person has not posted a thing. grumble Oh well, I know he/she's busy.

I have a good dose of Irish blood in me, even though I'm American. I have an American friend who went to Ireland last spring. I'm fairly certain she enjoyed herself. thumbsup Oh, but she's not a FoLC, I don't think. mecry

Lois: "Kent is a hack from Smallville. I couldn't make that name up."

Read my Journal: http://www.livejournal.com/users/anni_the_diva/
#197359 07/12/03 12:55 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Hi Sara! You know I'm Irish. LOL But I thought I'd post here anyway.

I was born in Ireland and then moved to the states, but I'm an Irish girl at heart. I've even got the hair to prove it. <g>

Caroline

You've gotta be original, because if you're like someone else, what do they need you for?
~Bernadette Peters
#197360 07/14/03 08:14 AM
Sorcha Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Woohoo! Thanks for replying, guys laugh and you have red hair, Caroline? <Btw, only about 5% of Irish people have red hair thumbsup

Sara jump

Meet Joe Black
#197361 07/14/03 11:18 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Um...
/me raises hand

Born and educated in Dublin; moved to the UK in 1988 - for a job, of course. wink

Sara, you're at DCU now? I thought you were at UL! /me wonders if she should point out that the President of DCU is a good friend of hers, and also an academic co-author wink

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
#197362 07/15/03 11:09 PM
Sorcha Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Yay Wendy...thanks for posting <g>.

Sara, you're at DCU now? I thought you were at UL! /me wonders if she should point out that the President of DCU is a good friend of hers, and also an academic co-author
Yup, Wendy, I'm at DCU now...I did tell you that I was at UL, but that was before I realised that certain friends of mine are not particularly copious at taking notes and when they *do* manage to scribble one or two, you'd swear that they were writing in Turkish...and unfortunately, if you remember that accident I had with my arm...it was the wrist I wrote with...and bones take six weeks to heal...six weeks valuable lecturing time...six weeks in which you should be able to take notes... grumble life isn't fair sometimes.

However, that doesn't explain what I'm doing in DCU...<g> I'm taking a three-week course in Law at the moment and am strongly considering switching colleges...repeating first year does *not* appeal to me...

EDITED after I realised my mistake...

Switching colleges? LOL! Bet that confused you, Wendy, especially if you knew that DCU actually doesnt have a Law course... :rolleyes: and if I *did* want to go there, I'd have a 100mile drive from my house to Whitehall, which would take me about three hours, depending on traffic frown . I'm staying in UL, I promise! In fact I'm just back from DCU yesterday... evil

So anyway, must get my tushie in gear and start on my assignment, of which I have one page done, and which is due in on Tuesday at the latest cat

Sara

Meet Joe Black
#197363 07/15/03 11:34 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
er...me wonders...does irish roots count?

Dublin 1648 as far as parish registers allowed me to trace my genealoy back...but everybody knows you can't go back further than 1600...and I'll stop babbling now.

If yes, then me raised hand too smile1

#197364 07/16/03 07:44 AM
Sorcha Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Wow...raise your hand, Carole! Lots of my American friends here introduced themselves as, "Hi, I'm American, but my great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandmother's cousin was Irish, so I'm *really* Irish-American laugh so yeah, of course you count! wink

Sara jump

Meet Joe Black
#197365 07/16/03 08:47 AM
D
Blogger
Blogger
D
I don't suppose that attending grad school at the U of Notre Dame counts. :rolleyes: Nah!

Frank

Monolithic biavicide ......... Killing two birds with one stone
#197366 07/16/03 08:57 AM
Sorcha Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
The U of Notre Dame? Might be just me just me, but that sounds slightly French...care to illuminate me? :p

Sara

Meet Joe Black
#197367 07/16/03 08:59 AM
Y
Top Banana
Top Banana
Y
Notre Dame's mascot is the "Fighting Irish" and their teams are called "the Irish". I know that because there is a priest who used to be at my church (back when I still went to church) that always tried to convince me to go to Notre Dame for college.

- Alicia

PS. I'm American -- okay my anscestors are from Poland, but my family's been in America for over 100 years. I know 3 words in Polish wink

Laura "The Yellow Dart" U. (Alicia U. on the archive)

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve
#197368 07/16/03 02:25 PM
D
Blogger
Blogger
D
Yes, the Universite de Notre Dame du Lac - near South Bend, Indiana - Home of the Irish. They seem to have come by the name early in the history of their intercollegiate athetic competitions because of the large number of Irish Catholic students. It was meant to be derogatory but the name was adopted and worn with pride.

Before I was invited to apply for graduate school there, I had no idea where the school was located. One of my father's college coaches had played there, so he was a big fan and I was familiar with the name, but I had vague thoughts that it was located somewhere on the east coast. I was there when Lou Holtz lead the football team to the national championship, and when they filmed the movie "Rudy".

Of course, that is the only claim I have to anything remotely Irish. Sorry for taking this off-topic thread off it's own topic.

Frank (who usually considers himself a Missouri Miner rather than Irish anyway)

Monolithic biavicide ......... Killing two birds with one stone
#197369 07/16/03 10:38 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Wow...raise your hand, Carole!
Well, smile1

Lots of my American friends here introduced themselves as, "Hi, I'm American, but my great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandmother's cousin was Irish, so I'm *really* Irish-American so yeah, of course you count!
Well, I'm not american, though I have relatives on the american continent (Canada included). But my great-great-great...LOL.

Nope, the irish roots has more to do with celtic origins (from Ireland to Britanny, french celtic region).

But, glad to be 'part of the club!'

Carole smile1

#197370 07/17/03 01:31 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Wow...raise your hand, Carole! Lots of my American friends here introduced themselves as, "Hi, I'm American, but my great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandmother's cousin was Irish, so I'm *really* Irish-American so yeah, of course you count!
Yeah, we Americans are quite proud of our heritage. I myself proudly proclaim to be a pure-bread American mutt, with several nationalities running through my blood, Irish included. My husband's grandmother, I believe, came over from Ireland years ago, and my mother-in-law went over there 2 years ago to visit her relatives. The only downside was that she was stuck over there during 9/11. She loved it over there, and wants to go back. laugh

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
#197371 07/17/03 01:43 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well, my last name may sound vaguely Irish -- my husband's full name is Joseph Kelley Jernigan, which he thinks sounds Irish <g> -- but he assures me that his family is descended from Vikings <g> My family's been here so long, I have very little clue what Old Countries they all came from, so I guess that makes me a pure-bred mutt as well smile

PJ
who, if asked, puts her ethnicity as "American"

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#197372 07/17/03 02:47 AM
Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
Well, my grandmother's maiden name was Riley. She was what they call Black Irish, with the black hair and green eyes that go with it, so I guess I can claim Irish ancestry (along with Welsh, Scot, English and a little French on the side). Pretty much an American mongrel, I know.

Nan

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
#197373 07/17/03 04:04 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
She was what they call Black Irish, with the black hair and green eyes
That means I've got a Black Irish side too? Interesting, I never heard of that expression when in Ireland... confused

Carole smile1

#197374 07/17/03 06:21 AM
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
Another Irish-American here. My paternal grandfather was off the boat as were both sets of my mom's grandparents. As far as I know I am 100% Irish by ethnicity but I may have a little Scottish blood also.

That means I've got a Black Irish side too? Interesting, I never heard of that expression when in Ireland
That's because the story about some of the Spanish Armada wrecking/landing in Ireland and the surviving Spaniards/Moors marrying some pretty colleens is an American invention. As I understand it, nothing like that happened and the reason there are people of Irish descent with dark hair and skin that acutally tans (as opposed to burning or freckling) is just some odd matter of genetics. It's a great story though.

Also, the idea that Irish people are all red-haired, green-eyed and freckled isn't entirely true either. Most Irish people I've ever met have either had honey blonde, reddish brown or (more rarely) very dark/black hair (like myself) and almost all of them (in my family, friends, acquaintances) have had blue eyes. I am one of the few Irish people I know with green eyes. Brown eyes are also rarer among Irish people but not as rare as green.

(It's important to point out right here that redheads and green-eyed people are both rare so the real question is whether Irish people are more likely to have either of these traits than the average, non-Irish, white person -- 5% of the Irish population vs. 2% of the non-Irish population for example.)

The freckles on the other hand is closer to the truth. We Irish seem to come in about 3 shades, freckled, ghostly pale (me) or ruddy.

-- Birdie (who knows way too much about this)

"Let us remember that there is a creative force in this universe, working to pull down the gigantic mountains of evil, a power that is able to make a way out of no way and trasform dark yesterdays into bright tomorrows. Let us realize the arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice."
-- Martin Luther King Jr.
#197375 07/17/03 07:40 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Or both freckles and ghostly pale... I'm afraid to put my husband in the sun, he'd either blind us all, or turn into a lobster. laugh

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
#197376 07/17/03 09:02 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Birdie,

thanks for the explanations, I feel less dumb now (and that may explain my foundness for spanish music and salsa, LOL).

Karen, I get the same remarks from my family: when in the sun, I'm either livid white or turns red without even tanning smile1

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard