Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Melisma Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
I'm going crazy here... I need to take some money out of my Canadian account, and here in Korea there are no ATM keyboards with letters on the keys, like in North America. And I can't remember how the letters are laid out, to reconstruct my secret code (which I only remember as letters) in numbers. Can someone (preferably Canadian) go to a bank (preferably the Royal Bank) and take a close-up picture of the ATM keyboard and post it here, or mail it to me? Once I remember the number-letter layout, I'll be able to reconstruct my code and take out my money.

Thanks!

Melisma (under her Rock, going nuts)

Do, or do not. There is no try.
- Yoda
Features Writer
Features Writer
I don't think it would be a good idea to have someone taking pictures of an ATM (security purposes). I found this picture on the Internet. Maybe someone could just point out if it corresponds to the Royal Bank ATM keyboard lettering system.

[Linked Image]

I've been looking at a couple of pictures of ATMs and Debit Card Pads (since it's late here in Texas and I can't quite remember the keypad from my bank) on the Internet, and they mostly seem to follow the same pattern. I don't know if it's the same in Canada. confused

Hope this helps. smile

malu wave

Melisma Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
Dang, I've been looking all over the internet for a good clear picture of an ATM keypad, and couldn't find one. Thanks, Malu. I think Canadian ATMs are generally the same as American - my Interac card (debit card - network only found in Canada I've found) also functions on the Plus network in the States, so I think they must be standardized. I just couldn't remember the Q and Z being on the 1 key... Okay, I'll convert my code using this picture and see if it works. Thanks so much - I'll let you know smile

Melisma (under her Rock, thankful for FoLCs!)

EDIT: Well I just did the conversion, and it looks like the set of numbers that the ATM here refused to accept this afternoon. So I really don't know. I'll try it again... <sigh>

- Yoda
Features Writer
Features Writer
Melisma,

I was just looking at a web page that this person ( r_marijke@hotmail.com - Rijke Rombeek) created and was talking about Korean banks, and apparently he/she is also from Canada. Maybe you could contact him/her and ask if he/she knows. The web page is http://theulsanweb.com/howto/bankacc.html

Maybe this will help.

Let us know if you got it right.

malu

Melisma Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
Well here's the update...

I phoned my sister and bro-in-law and my bil went to two different banks (in Vancouver, WA, but I'm pretty sure things are the same in BC) and got the info for me. It's the same as in the picture you posted. So I tried to withdraw my money again, but again it didn't go through. So, desperate, I called the Royal Bank's central number.

Come to find out, if you enter your code three times incorrectly, they figure you are a crook up to some kind of fraud, and they disable your code and your card. So I'm going to have to wait until my mother (who fortunately has signature on my account - one of the best moves I made before I came over here) comes home from Northern BC on Tuesday... she's been up there with my dad on business this weekend... and have her go into our branch and request a new card, pick a new code for me, and send the new card to me. (It takes me a week to get mail from home, at least.)

Means that I'm not having the wild birthday celebration (including an eagerly anticipated Western-style meal and Harry Potter 5) that I was planning on - that's why I wanted the money :PPP

Guess I'll just have to celebrate on Wednesday, which is payday here...

Oh well, live and learn I guess...

Melisma (ducking back under her Rock to mourn the day some more....)

- Yoda
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi Mel:
Wow, that's too bad.
Come to find out, if you enter your code three times incorrectly, they figure you are a crook up to some kind of fraud, and they disable your code and your card.
Usually it's incorrectly in one session, but you found your answer. I'll also point out that anyone expecting to use a credit card in another country better call their credit card company and let them know. This includes FoLCs coming to LAFF from outside the US.

To give an example:
Last summer we used our credit card liberally in England and Scotland (bumping up the GNP) and had no troubles because we had called the company and given the dates of travel. Later in the year, around Christmas, I ordered some Golden Jubilee china from Majesty Magazine. The credit card was rejected and I got a call from their shipping department. So after my expected travel dates a clamp had been put *on* the credit card again. Anyway, I made a phone call and the credit was granted and my merchandise arrived in good order. Similarly, just before we left for Australia, New Zealand and Fiji, we again called the card company and they noted it in their files. We had no trouble spending liberally there, either.

cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard