A
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
A
Hello!

I would like to ask you something:

Where is (supposed to be) Metropolis?

I can recall a scene from the Pilot... Clark flies to China to bring Chinese to Lois, and we can see a map with his route... but I can't remember where did he begin his journey from.

Anyone who can remember the scene can answer.

AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I *think* (yeah that can get dangerous <g>) it's supposed to be around where New York City would be...

Jen

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Top Banana
Top Banana
I always thought Metropolis was supposed to be New York City. The weather has certain similarities, and so do the buildings.

And then there is the movie, Superman I with Chris Reeves. I clearly remember having seen the Statue of Liberty and other famous NYC building in the movie while they were still in Metropolis.

So Metropolis is on the east coast of the USA, quite a bit up north.

Saskia

I tawt I taw a puddy cat!
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I thought the city model for Metropolis was NYC too...only more futurist.

But, only to joke how about...not far from Gotham City? laugh

Carole

Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
It's not New York city - reference is made to NY in the show. In Man of Steel Bars, Lois complains at the press conference on the heat wave:

Lois: But why only Metropolis? It's twelve degrees in New York, there's eight inches of snow in Chicago and we're having a run on sunblock.

I know it doesn't answer your question, Anna, but this reminded me of a couple of interesting websites I discovered while surfing a while back. They're based on the comics, but still could be useful, I think, for authors looking for inspiration on the small details, here and there.

Map and Statistics of Metropolis
All About Metropolis

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Merriwether
Merriwether
This has been debated back and forth a few times over the years, I believe. It's been established that Metropolis is not New York, and New York exists on its own in the DC Universe. A fairly comprehensive site can be found below. laugh

http://www.angelfire.com/nj/carlb/metropolis.html

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
A
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
A
I've always thought that Metropolis looks a lot like New York, too - although it isn't.

Thanks for the links, LabRat!

Still, anyone who remembers that scene of the Pilot? (I think someone should check it - it might help)

AnnaBtG.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I wouldn't put too much stock in the show's graphics. In "Honeymoon in Metropolis," graphics of the incoming wave clearly show that Metropolis has taken a holiday and is briefly in California wink

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Features Writer
Features Writer
This is what I found about the location of Metropolis (and other DC Comics cities):

Where are the "real" loca...ity, Hub City, etc., in the DC Universe?

malu

Y
Top Banana
Top Banana
Y
Metropolis, as originally developed by Siegel and Shuster, was probably Cleveland, the "big city" with which they were most familiar.
Cleveland really was a big city when Siegel and Shuster created Superman. Too bad they didn't keep the setting of Metropolis as Cleveland... then I would have something to be proud of being from Cleveland wink . I mean, Cleveland has a Lake.. okay, it's a polluted Lake and not exactly an ocean. We have a river... but it did actually get set on fire once (so it is probably about as good as the Hobs River). We have a newspaper, okay not the Daily Planet... See, Cleveland, Metropolis, same place. It works.

- Alicia smile

Laura "The Yellow Dart" U. (Alicia U. on the archive)

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve
Features Writer
Features Writer
The link that Malu posted mentioned that there are also early references to Toronto. I remember reading through the posts on Zoom's old boards and seeing a reference that Toronto was the basis for Metropolis. Since that's where I grew up, it stuck in my mind smile , so I did a search just now and found the relevant thread.
20 Questions II

KathyM

"Our thoughts form the universe. They always matter." - Babylon 5
A
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
A
Thank you all!

AnnaBtG. smile

Merriwether
Merriwether
Too bad they didn't keep the setting of Metropolis as Cleveland... then I would have something to be proud of being from Cleveland .
See, there's a reason why I keep insisting Metropolis is in Illinois. wink It's pretty, it's close to water, and best of all, it's on the map. And I've even been there. laugh But for some reason, no one believes me. *sigh*

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
The graphic in the Pilot episode is where New York would be. And the maps of Metropolis used througout the series bear a striking resemblance to lower Manhattan (Church of Metropolis). However, as pointed out, dialog clearly says New York City exists in the Lois and Clark universe. Many fanfic authors place Metropolis roughly between New York and Washington D.C. on the east coast of the US.
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
A
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A
Originally posted by Karen:
See, there's a reason why I keep insisting Metropolis is in Illinois. wink It's pretty, it's close to water, and best of all, it's on
But Metropolis is in Illinois...see?

[img]http://community.webshots.com/photo/3330738/3330944AloxzTXKyU[/img]

Anne >^,,^<

"I only know how to make four things, and this is the only one without chocolate." Lois Lane "All My I've Got a Crush on You 10/24/1993
Merriwether
Merriwether
See! More proof! No one can refute me now! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Whoops. sorry. No maniacal laughter, I forgot. blush

A
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A
I don't know why the picture on my last post didn't work. Let's try it again.

[img]http://community.webshots.com/photo/3330738/3330944AloxzTXKyU[/img]

Anne >^,,^<

"I only know how to make four things, and this is the only one without chocolate." Lois Lane "All My I've Got a Crush on You 10/24/1993
A
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A
Okay. I guess the webshots website doesn't support links (yes, I went and read the "how-to" post).

anyway, anyone interested in seeing what I've been trying to show...go here

Anne >^,,^<

Features Writer
Features Writer
Anne,

My computer is trying to download the link you are posting, and when I click "open", nothing happens. Maybe there is something missing on the link.

malu

A
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A
It worked just now when I tried it. If this helps, the full address is:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/3330738/3330944AloxzTXKyU

HTH

Anne >^,,^<

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard