Print Thread
#197041 05/30/03 10:52 AM
A
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
A
Hello!

Does anyone know an L&C IRC, where people 15 years old are allowed?
(And, if possible, there is plenty of people who visits the mbs too.)

Thanks.

AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
#197042 05/30/03 07:06 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Sorry Anna, I think there are only two channels now, one for 16 and older (#loisclark) and 18 and older (#lanekent).

So as far as I know, you have to wait to be 16 and to get the passwords and join the IRC channels. But hey, you can look forward to lots of fun then!

Saskia

I tawt I taw a puddy cat!
#197043 05/31/03 01:11 AM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Of course, there's nothing to stop you and some like-minded FoLCs under 16 starting your own channel on irc, Anna, to hang out in, until you can join the others, too. smile

There used to be such a channel a long time back, but I don't think it still exists.

Setting up your own channel couldn't be simpler though - just think of a name and open it up, then announce it here and invite others to join you. jump

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#197044 05/31/03 01:59 AM
A
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
A
Setting up your own channel couldn't be simpler though - just think of a name and open it up, then announce it here and invite others to join you.
I don't know if it is really this simple.

Anyway, I have no idea how to do it.

Anybody can help?

AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
#197045 05/31/03 02:13 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Sure thing!

There are basic instructions on how to download mirc and get connected etc here at the Fanfic Archive.

Once you're all set up and connected it's simplicity itself to open up a simple, basic channel which you can use to hang out with your friends. Where you would normally type in:

/join #loisclark password

to join an established channel, type instead:

/join #yourchannelname yourpassword (password is optional but putting one in and giving it to those chatting there cuts down on you being invaded by flyby trolls - strangers you don't want gate-crashing your party.)

Simple as that. You're in, you're ready to chat. smile

When the first person there is in the channel, they should do the following:

Right click on the large white part to the left of the nick list. That will bring up a box labelled Channel Modes. Click on it. Tick the 'Secret' box and the 'Key' box and insert your password of choice in the blank box next to key. Then hit ok.

That will further ensure that you'll be safe from gate-crashing trolls.

At some point once the channel is established, you might want to go the whole hog and register the channel as permanent - which has advantages but is more work and probably isn't that necessary to you enjoying a hangout place. But if you want to know more there you can work on it later.

If there's anything still confusing you, why don't you mail me and we can work through any problems you might have. Would be only too delighted to help. (That goes for anyone else having problems too btw. smile )

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard