Next Thread
Print Thread
A
AnnieM Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
A
I don't know how many of you have been following the story of Jayson Blair, the New York Times reporter who recently resigned, but The Times has just published a huge, in-depth article detailing everything they have uncovered. It's absolutely mind boggling. I can't begin to comprehend why a journalist would do this. And even if he had no ethics at all, I don't know how he thought he could get away with it.

Here is the beginning of the article. I'll paste the link for anyone who wants to read the whole thing. It's written by a huge team of senior reporters and editors from The Times, and although it's really long, it's well worth the time. You need to register to get a NYT password, but it's free and only takes a minute.

Annie

Times Reporter Who Resigned Leaves Long Trail of Deception

A staff reporter for The New York Times committed frequent acts of journalistic fraud while covering significant news events in recent months, an investigation by Times journalists has found. The widespread fabrication and plagiarism represent a profound betrayal of trust and a low point in the 152-year history of the newspaper.

The reporter, Jayson Blair, 27, misled readers and Times colleagues with dispatches that purported to be from Maryland, Texas and other states, when often he was far away, in New York. He fabricated comments. He concocted scenes. He lifted material from other newspapers and wire services. He selected details from photographs to create the impression he had been somewhere or seen someone, when he had not.

And he used these techniques to write falsely about emotionally charged moments in recent history, from the deadly sniper attacks in suburban Washington to the anguish of families grieving for loved ones killed in Iraq.

Full Story

Being a reporter is as much a diagnosis as a job description. ~Anna Quindlen
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Wow. I'm speechless. That was just...wow. Well, he had to have known sooner or later it was going to bite him in the rear end. You just can't steal material and stick it in one of the more widely read papers and not expect people to notice.

Jen

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Columnist
Columnist
Man, that's scary! I mean, really - you'd think someone who got to that level of journalism would have learned long ago that plagarism is wrong. What's wrong with society that this one got through?

Melisma (a little shaken here under her Rock)

Do, or do not. There is no try.
- Yoda
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yes, that story made it to newspapers in the UK last week too, Annie. Today the Guardian ran a long-ish analysis piece about Jayson Blair, which you'll find on the Guardian website, here .

Wendy

Just a fly-by! *waves*
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Gosh, i can't believe this...i mean, it goes beyond journlistic moral and ethics...and, how could a professionnal journalist even act like this??

I guess at that level it's not even question of professionnalism anymore but...well, i'm speachless;

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard