Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#196640 05/08/03 01:28 AM
Melisma Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
I just noticed that our dear LabRat now has over 300 messages under her belt, and therefore is now the board's first Pulitzer prize winner. I think we must do something to celebrate this wonderful achievement - perhaps have another challenge between the board membership and her?

Of course, I'm no good at formulating challenges, so any suggestions you have, post 'em here, okay?

In any case, it's PARTY TIME!!!!

smile1 smile1

Melisma (breaking open a new case of cider - whatever breed Lab wants it to be - here under her Rock)

Do, or do not. There is no try.
- Yoda
#196641 05/08/03 01:36 AM
Kerth
Kerth
Nobel prize? smile1

Jose wave

"Practice up your shielding spells...and remember to duck if you see green light coming your way."

Harry Potter to Wizengamot in OotP trial

A Bad Week in the Wizengamot
#196642 05/08/03 01:46 AM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
LOL! Well, thanks for the sentiment, Mel, but I'm not sure that having fun and enjoying myself amounts to that much of an achievement that deserves kudos. wink It's not as though I bled sweat to get there or that it was difficult to do. drool

LabRat (who is now trying to figure out how she got from the roughly 270, which she was at last time she noticed, to over 300, when she can't remember posting that much in the last 24 hours... dizzy )

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#196643 05/08/03 02:00 AM
Melisma Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
Nobel prize, Jose? You mean, we want to give her a Nobel prize for getting a Pulitzer? Or do we want to challenge her to get to the next level?

Which reminds me - shouldn't there be another level, moderators?

evil

Well, Rat, I don't know how you did it either, but it deserves a party. I've got all sorts of cider here - cyber, BC Growers (that I described in another thread), whatever you want. And after posting the last bit of Ephiphany early, I'll give you one of these along with your glass: sloppy

Enjoy!

Melisma ( laugh under her Rock)

- Yoda
#196644 05/08/03 02:09 AM
Kerth
Kerth
Nobel prize, Jose? You mean, we want to give her a Nobel prize for getting a Pulitzer? Or do we want to challenge her to get to the next level?
Next level of course smile Up to 1000 posts?

Jose wave

"Practice up your shielding spells...and remember to duck if you see green light coming your way."

#196645 05/08/03 02:15 AM
Melisma Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
Oh yeah, like it a lot - maybe we should do some campaigning to get it smile

OTOH, maybe not a good idea - it might just crash the boards!

Melisma (trying to be reasonable, here under her Rock)

- Yoda
#196646 05/08/03 02:20 AM
Kerth
Kerth
That would be bad. wave

#196647 05/08/03 11:27 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Oh yeah, like it a lot - maybe we should do some campaigning to get it

I'm afraid it might... and even if it doesn't, we are paying for bandwidth wink

And there was another board I visited a few years back that had some sort of competition or something going on, and it ended up with people posting one-word or "me too" posts just to get their post numbers up. Apart from anything else, it got very boring! goofy We haven't even got close to that level, thankfully, but if people started to focus on post numbers, it might have gone that way eventually... or not; we like to actually *say* things in our posts wink

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#196648 05/08/03 02:22 PM
Melisma Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
BTW, Mel, what hour is under your rock?
I'm in Korea right now, so it's about 10:30 am on Friday, May 9. Lemme post this and see what time it is on the server...

EDIT: okay, server says 03:22, my clock computer says 10:33, my watch says 10:37. But my watch is a few minutes fast so that I'll be sure to get to class on time - I tend to wait until just the *last* second to head out the door, and since I'm the teacher, being late would be a *very bad thing* smile

Melisma (grinning under her Rock)

- Yoda
#196649 05/08/03 08:16 PM
Kerth
Kerth
posted 08 May, 2003 08:22 PM
okay, server says 03:22,
Mel, you misread the 8, 3 smile , so more or less 14 hours before the server time.

When I asked the question it was 11:00 pm in Korea?

wave

#196650 05/08/03 09:57 PM
Melisma Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
Well, I have no clue...

Korea is +16 from the US Pacific Coast right now; um, that would be +13 hours EDT I guess? Usually I have to figure that my parents in Vancouver are the same number as I minus 5 - if I'm in the evening, it's the morning for them, and vice versa. That was before they sprang forward, now it's the same number minus 4. When my sister still lived on the East Coast, I would figure out my parents' time, then add three hours to get her time. But that's about all the math I can do - after that I have to look up the time zone maps...

See if the following help you:

http://aa.usno.navy.mil/faq/docs/world_tzones.html
http://www.worldtimezone.com/

But I fear this is getting off topic for the thread, so maybe we'd better take this to private email. After all, this is Labby's party, right? smile

party

Melisma (joining the dancers here under her Rock)

- Yoda
#196651 05/10/03 10:49 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I tend to wait until just the *last* second to head out the door, and since I'm the teacher, being late would be a *very bad thing*
Mel, I'm so glad there are othere people like that! I actually missed my flight from London to Glasgow (and had to spent the night at Stanstead Airport) due to my belief the I *would* make it and that it couldn't *possibly* happen to me! blush

Also, add my congrats to LabRat too! party

I had a hope, in the dim and distant past that, I'd be able to keep up with you guys, even went so far as to make into the top 5 (!) but RL conspired against me and now LabRat has made Pulitzer, leaving the rest (most) of us stumbling blindly in her wake! wink

Loriel (who *will* be back properly in the summer, even if only to catch up on all the fic she's missing!)

"Inappropriate attachment" didn't begin to cover the depth of the feelings Vaughn had for Sydney Bristow.
~Ties That Bind by RJ Anderson~

I ramble at http://www.livejournal.com/~loriel_eris
#196652 05/10/03 03:08 PM
Melisma Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
Um, well, Loriel, it's not so bad as all that. My room is on the fourth floor of our building, and my classroom is on the third. So it's either a matter of catching the elevator down a floor, or running down a flight of stairs if the elevator is being slow that day. My first class is at 7am, and I have my watch set five minutes fast, so I leave my room at 7am by my clock, and I'm there on time, or maybe a minute late by the clock in the classroom. Which itself is a minute or two fast in relation to official Korean time, which is automatically correct on everyone's cell phones - everyone but everyone (except me, it seems) carries a cell phone, and they use it for all sorts of things, not just communications...

Oh well smile

Melisma (under her Rock, knowing that she'll have to be a little more prompt once she goes home at the end of October...)

- Yoda
#196653 05/10/03 04:52 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I have my watch set five minutes fast
Oi, join the club. I set my clocks five minutes fast because I'm usually late for everything, but then I say to myself, "Wait! I have five more minutes to do such-n-such!"...which really defeats the purpose of setting the clock ahead. <g>

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#196654 05/10/03 11:04 PM
Melisma Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
I used to do that, but now I'm running around so much that I forget that it's fast, and end up just taking it at (watch)face value smile

Melisma (under her Rock and checking her clock - ah good, another 45 minutes until her next class. Lots of time to play still...)

- Yoda

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard