Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Melisma Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
Just got a forward from a 'friend' of mine (she's a friend of my parents working over here in the same school system, so we run into each other for countrywide events) that was prolly a piece of spam regarding some sort of report on SARS. Deleted it unread - I usually do that when I get her emails unless it has a personalized subject line, so I know it's not one of her forwards. I hate it when people send me forwards. And this woman is *always* sending me forwards, usually to do with 'natural' cures for diabetes - she thinks of herself as some sort of naturopath, and even though she doesn't have diabetes, is not a nurse or doctor, doesn't have to deal with a diabetic family member's primary care... still thinks she knows *exactly* what I need in order to cure my diabetes... Sheesh, people, there *is* no cure for type 2 diabetes - yes, you can control the sugar levels, and minimize damage to cells that way, but so far you can't reverse the disease so that it no longer exists...

Grrr...

Sorry, just had to rant there!

Melisma (feeling much better, here under her Rock, after that rant)

Do, or do not. There is no try.
- Yoda
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
:rolleyes:
Been there got that t-shirt.

I can't stand it when clearly unqualified people try and give me medical advice. And it's even worse for me sometimes because my dad is a physician, so when I get facts from him about stuff, those unqualified people refuse to listen when I put for a different opinion (my nice way of saying they're WRONG!). laugh

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Y
Top Banana
Top Banana
Y
I'm sorry, Mel frown . Getting forwards like that really sucks.

I've done a lot of research on Diabetes (because last summer I had to do all of the background research for the postdoc in my lab who developed an implantable glucose seneor). Diabetes can never be "cured," but it can be controlled (Type 2 much more easily than Type 1). But it can't be cured. There have been a lot of advances in Diabetes care, though - although that still doesn't chage the fact that Diabetes is not a fun disease frown (my grandmother just died from complications a few months ago mecry )

- Alicia

Laura "The Yellow Dart" U. (Alicia U. on the archive)

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve
Melisma Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
Heh, Alicia, my grandfather died of complications about 10 years ago, so I know how tricky it can be. My mom is a nurse, and she's working with senior citizens, so she's paying a lot of attention in her nursing refresher course to the part about diabetes now - before she took it, she was trying to get me to try a bunch of naturopathic crap for it, too, but I told her that I'm following my doctors' and my diabetic clinic nurses' and dieticians' advice, and that's that. Then I had her go to the next diabetic clinic I was scheduled to go to, with me. And boy howdy, between her course and that clinic, she's changed her tune! Unfortunately, the church that runs the school I work for, has a lot of 'healthy living' ideas - well, okay, not unfortunately, because they really do work for normal people. But I'm not normal people. If I was to follow their diets and their naturopathic ideas to the letter, I'd have sugar spikes up the ying yang, and I'd never be able to control things. I do try to follow what I can, and it's okay. But for others, you just gotta do what the doctors and nurses and dieticians teach you...

Melisma (under her Rock, glad you guys understand and are supportive, and don't mind her rants)

Do, or do not. There is no try.
- Yoda
A
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A
It never ceases to amaze me how so many complete strangers can find so much in common.

My hubby found out he has Type 2 about four years ago. And like Mel, he hates it when unqualified people try to give him advise. I mean, he works in a pharmacy and reads every magazine article or bulletin that comes in, so how is someone else going to tell him something he doesn't already know?

So go ahead and rant all you want, Mel. We don't mind...

Anne >^,,^<

"I only know how to make four things, and this is the only one without chocolate." Lois Lane "All My I've Got a Crush on You 10/24/1993
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I know what you mean about mass forwards. I mean, they're not quite as bad as real spam, but still -- it's not personalized, it's not relevant, some of it is *years* old... and it just makes it harder for me to find the email I really *do* want to read. I really wish people would think more before annoying all their friends that way frown

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard