Next Thread
Print Thread
LabRat Offline OP
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I found this article on a SF site. Must say that as someone who was hoping that Enterprise would improve but so far hasn't seen much sign of it and who frequently exchanges bored sighs with Stuart each Monday night when it's on, I would welcome some changes to the format.

Can't say I'm sure about these ones though. New haircut? Mind boggles.

And as for that 'we are first' claim - wasn't that premise pretty much covered already in Deep Space Nine?

Anyway, for those interested:

New Direction For Enterprise

Be warned the article contains spoilers for future episodes.

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
yeah, sounds very much like what DS9 did (and they did it pretty well, too).

also sounds like they're trying for a more star wars type feel... space action, rather than space exploration. explosions and special effects and stuff rather than plot (we'll see, but for once, i'm pessimistic). not that star wars didn't have plot (the old trillogy, at the least), but that seems to be the trend these days- pretty girls, big explosions, and other effects to keep the eyes busy so you don't notice everything that's missing. it's like cooks who don't want to bother with fancy ingredients and techniques, so they slap something together and pour spices on it to cover.

okay, i'll shut up now.

okay, maybe not.

one more thing and then i'll shut up...

i don't want to quote it here, since it's spoiler-related, but is anyone else bothered by "this is going to be a major change for the character, so expect a new uniform and a new hairstyle"? there's depth for you... [Linked Image]

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well, I must say I have to sympathize with the Enterprise writers -- it's difficult to create much tension about the future of mankind when we've already seen four series and ten movies about that very future wink And there's a heck of a lot of continuity that they'd better stick with -- there aren't any bigger nitpickers than Trek fans <g>

The Vulcan/Andorian stuff has been cool sometimes. As for the rest... well, I'm mildly interested in Trip, and Scott Bakula is very easy on the eyes wink but I'm not gonna invest too much energy in it.

Still watch it most weeks, tho, but that's because Kelley is eternally hopeful.

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Merriwether
Merriwether
Pam, they blew away lots of continuity in the very first ep! So I really don't think that's a big concern. :rolleyes:

But I can't say I like where this is going. razz

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
:: Sighs loudly ::

I can't discuss Enterprise. I just can't.

I am a die-hard Trekkie, and, in discussion with other Trekkies/Trekkers, I find that most of us are just shaking our heads, wondering what Berman is going to screw up next.

OK, so I am waiting until Season 3 for it to start to get good. It took DS9, VOY, and TNG that long to start. Hopefully ENT will follow suit. (Soon. grumble )

Lois: "Kent is a hack from Smallville. I couldn't make that name up."

Read my Journal: http://www.livejournal.com/users/anni_the_diva/
LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Still watch it most weeks, tho, but that's because Kelley is eternally hopeful.
That's pretty much where we are too, Pam. Stuart's still convinced it will pickup and I pretty much gave up on it a while back, but still tune in with him on Monday evenings hoping for the best.

I've been trying to avoid making a judgement on it because I know that TNG, DS9 and Voyager were a little ropey to begin with and took time to get into their stride. Also because I have a tendancy to take a while to click with a show. So I really do want to give it a chance.

My main problems with it are just general dullness and lack of originality in the plotlines. I've yet to watch an episode that had any tension in it that I can think of (perhaps barring the season one finale and that didn't go anywhere with the premiere of S2). I really think they need some new energy in the scripts. And someone who knows how to do humour. Most of the so-called comedy moments have left me cold.

The characters I find bland and deeply uninteresting for the most part - it took me until two thirds of the way through S1 to be able to identify them as separate individuals! Although they have grown on me a little. The Doctor is okay but I don't really see what all the fuss has been about him being such a wonderful character. I thought the Doctor in Voyager was much more entertaining and intriguing.

Basically, so far for me, it's been a case of seen it all before and done much better too on previous Trek shows.

Best things? T'Pol. She just makes every scene she's in for me. I think my favourite episode so far has to be the one where she told the story of the Vulcans who got lost on Earth and that's unusual because I hated that kind of Vulcan/Klingon centric episode on other Trek shows. Oh, and the one where they discovered the Vulcans' spying at the monastery. I thought it was kind of cool making the Vulcans the villains for a change.

And, okay, Tripp is kind of fun at times.

And I really, really love the title credits and themes.

Oh and Porthos (sp? - too early in the morning to check it out <g>). That dog should have his own show. Or at least be promoted to Captain. wink

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Originally posted by LabRat:

Best things? T'Pol. She just makes every scene she's in for me.
Are you out of your Vulcan mind, Labby??

And I really, really love the title credits and themes.
So do I. I think Russell Watson is greatly talented. From that song, I never would have known that he was an opera singer.

Oh and Porthos. That dog should have his own show. Or at least be prompted to Captain. wink
Porthos makes the show bearable for me. He's the most interesting character, by far. thumbsup

P.S.: My previous post made absolutely no sense. confused I was very tired when I wrote it, lol. huh

Lois: "Kent is a hack from Smallville. I couldn't make that name up."

Read my Journal: http://www.livejournal.com/users/anni_the_diva/
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I've only seen up to the end of S1. I loved the finale (it made watching the season worthwhile) but it looks like I shouldn't hold out much hope for the S2 opener. frown I was looking for big things after how well they did (IMO) with the P1.

I think I'm in the same camp as Pam and LabRat, I watch it in the hope that it'll get better, after I love the other 4...

The characters I find bland and deeply uninteresting for the most part - it took me until two thirds of the way through S1 to be able to identify them as separate individuals!
I know what you mean! It took mne ages to figure out who everybody was and what they actually didi on the ship.

And add me to the list that enjoys the theme and opening credits and Porthos! It did thjrow me a little, to begin with, when I heard someone actully singing in the opening credits!

Loriel

"Inappropriate attachment" didn't begin to cover the depth of the feelings Vaughn had for Sydney Bristow.
~Ties That Bind by RJ Anderson~

I ramble at http://www.livejournal.com/~loriel_eris
Merriwether
Merriwether
Oh, yeah! The opening is great! Made me all teary the first few times I watched it.

And count another vote for Porthos!

I like T'Pol too, but she's really not consistent with how the Vulcans were portrayed in the other series. Actually, almost none of the Vulcans in this series are consistent with what was previously established. Just how much can a species evolve in 100 years?! Aaargh.

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
E
Columnist
Columnist
E
I also enjoy the new theme. However, as an avid Star Trek fan, I'm kind of disappointed with the way the series has turned out so far. I was hoping for a bit more than rehashed Next Gen and Voyager plots.

Not to mention that they've been showing lots of re-runs, so I haven't been watching lately. Re-runs are a surefire way to get your audience to change the channel or log onto the internet when the show comes on, unless it's their favorite episode or something.

Hopefully the Enterprise writers can turn the show around next season.

I believe there's a hero in all of us that keeps us honest, gives us strength, makes us noble, and finally allows us to die with pride, even though sometimes we have to be steady and give up the thing we want the most. Even our dreams. -- Aunt May, Spider-Man 2
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
hmm... come to think of it, I think the opening theme/credits are my favorite part of the show! goofy I love the song, and the imagery/pictures/special effects on the screen are just perfect. The astronaut guy (just about to put on his helmet, I think) cracks me up, and I don't know why... smile

Because of the timeslot, I very rarely see an entire episode; I'm usually up and down stairs several times trying to get the kids to shut up, err, I mean, go to sleep wink So I always figured it would be better if I could watch it uninterrupted. Or at least wanted to grant the possibility wink But from what you guys are saying here, if I saw it more, I might like it less! <g>

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard