Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
I know a lot of us have clever sigs or a special way to sign posts, and I was wondering... are there stories to be had there? <g>

I'll start... I sign all my posts PJ, and I don't know why wink I mean, those are my initials, but they don't exactly match up with "ChiefPam" so I'm guessing I confuse people sometimes... I used to use "PJ" as an identifier at work, so that's probably part of it. And it's very easy to type! <g> I can do it without thinking about it anymore.

My sig... well, a few years back, I was on Zoomway's boards, and wanted a clever sig. I just couldn't think of a quote I liked. But then I started playing around with the idea of saying something about "fanfic addiction" and realized I could have a cool acronym if I worked at it <g> Thus, FARCE was born. smile

And that's pretty much what I've used ever since <g> I updated it a little for the new boards, but the old one was along the same lines -- "Step 1 -- Admit you need a higher power to-- ooh, someone posted a new section! Be right back."

Oh, and there was one time a while back when Zoom's boards were down for awhile, and she opened up a back-up board on another server. For that one, I had a notice saying that FARCE would not be meeting, instead we'd have the ZMBWS support group (Zoomways Message Boards Withdrawal Syndrome).

And I once was offered a bribe by Lex Luthor himself! goofy Err, I mean, he kindly offered to donate a million or two, but I decided to decline his generous offer wink

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I have different things for my sigs at different places...but I think...yep, I don't have one yet here!

on Zoom's boards my sig is:
Trask: Does Superman have any telepathic powers?
Lois: (blushing) I hope not.
--------------
Dr. Friskin: Do you have a girlfriend right now?
Superman: Yes. No. It's kind of complicated. I haven't exactly told her everything about me, and I'm afraid that that is, well, it's making her drift toward this other guy.
Dr. Friskin: Does he have superpowers too?

Just two quotes that I love from LC...
I haven't decided if I'm making a new one for these boards..or sticking with the old one...

I might go with another quote that I use sometimes which I found while idlely surfing the net:
"He either fears his fate too much,
Or his deserts are small,
That puts it not unto the touch
To win or lose it all"
----James Graham - Marquis of Montrose

-Breanna

Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Breanna, have you read "Montrose's Toast" by Phil Atcliffe? If not, do! <g> He built a whole story around that quote, and it's a great story.

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hello and welcome to the new chapter of FARCE
(Fanfic Addicts Recovery Co-dependent E-group)
So... hi, my name is Pam and I am addicted to fanf-- hey, is that a new poll?
goofy

As for the quotes, they come in and out of my sig. I always like to put something...inspirational down, more for myself than anyone else.

Time to back into the well, I'm sure this is wayy more than you guys needed to know ROFL peep

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
well, i sign my posts Paul.. it's about the only time i use a capital letter for a proper name when posting (which i think of more as talking with my fingers). if i use my name in the body of a post, i won't use caps. it's just for the signature.

as for my sig file, that changes at my whim. it's always something of my own creation, and i basically wait for inspiration to hit out of left field.

i've used:

my forrest gump adaption "life is like a box of chocolates- without chocolate, it's empty!"

an odd thought about star wars: "boba, i am your father... or, well, a clone of your father, which makes me more of an uncle... but then again, we're the same generation, so maybe more of a brother... anyway, the point is we're family so please don't shoot me! - last words of an uncounted number of imperial stormtroopers"

"when life hands you lemons, think chemical energy!" which is actually taken from something one of my favorite MIT professors told us

"... and who, disguised as a mild-mannered MIT student, fights a never-ending battle for truth, justice, and lo-cal hot chocolate with little sugar-free marshmallows."

and a few others that aren't coming to mind offhand.

i also like "never leave the room while your hand is still glued to the telephone - kermit d frog" but don't think i've ever used it as a sig.

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
A
Columnist
Columnist
A
I can't wait to see all the responses to this. I admit that I'm alway intrigued by the things people use.

First, I always sign my posts Annie. No explanation necessary there, I think. Well, one thing - it always surprises me when people refer to me or addresss me as AnnieM. The M is just an initial that I added because Annie was already taken when I started posting at zooms boards. I considered dropping it when we created the new boards, but I didn't want to confuse people. So, while it certainly doesn't bother or upset me when people use it, it does always jolt me for a second.

As for my signiture, I think most people know that I'm a journalist. Since that's a huge part of my life, and since Lois and Clark are journalists, I like to use journalism quotes. In the past I've used "Journalism it the first rough draft of history," from Phil Graham, the late owner of the Washington Post; "To love what you do and feel that it matters, what could be better," from Katharine Graham, his wife and successor; and a quote from Joseph Pulitzer that I can't remember off the top of my head. Anyway, I found this quote in a friend's AIM profile and thought it was perfect. It will be there until I find another great journalism quote. smile

Annie

Being a reporter is as much a diagnosis as a job description. ~Anna Quindlen
Merriwether
Merriwether
Well, I don't really sign my posts, as I figure the name on the left is a signature enough. The only time I sign my name is when I want to add a little something after it, which I think I started doing on newsgroups. They'd do something like

Karen
... who thinks everyone is silly ;-)

As for my sig, my current one came from Ferenheight 451, which I recently reread. The quote seemed so *me* because I read so much. The one that I had before the boards went down was a parody of Junk Food Junkie by Larry Groce. I'd actually changed bits in the chorus and was going to use that, but it was too long. razz So I just stuck with "At night I'm a Fanfic Junkie, Good Lord have pity on me."

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
Merriwether
Merriwether
Well, I like to change my sig often. It's fun! wink

I actually keep a few books by the puter to look for new ones. Others are bumper stickers or pins that I have (or used to).

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
Y
Top Banana
Top Banana
Y
Hmm, my signature is pretty stupid...

I sign all of my posts "-Alicia" with a smiley face. There is really no reason why. I just think the smily face is cute.

And my signature is from this web site that one of my students sent me. The little movie is called "A Well Thought Out Englilish Paper." Because I told my students if they could make their final projects either colorful, have funny drawings or cartoons, give me money on some of the pages, or tell me cute stories in the middle of their reports about "The Bidomain Model of the Human Heart" (50 of them to read...) I would give them A's - since I have such a notoriously short attention span and hate reading long, boring things. Anyway, I am known for giving extra credit to whomever can turn in reports that amuse me - or are really short as long as all of the questions are answered and the code is correct. So my student sent me the link to the "Strong Bad" email thing. I thought it was really funny because he described almost everything I grade for wink .

And the other part of my sig: I'm a BME that's adicted to fanfic... I don't have a life. Well, BME stands for Biomedical Engineer, and my friends and I always make fun of ourselves because we don't have lives. My idea of a fun Friday night is to get home at a reasonable hour and sit in front of the computer and read or write wink . Add that fanfic addiction of mine in and I'm sunk. There is no hope for me to ever have a life wink .

- Alicia smile1

Laura "The Yellow Dart" U. (Alicia U. on the archive)

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
actually, a thought struck today. i'm considering a new sig. it occured to me that before i make it official, i could ask here. what do people think? too long (i mean, it will go on the end of every post, even the short ones...)? interesting? worthwhile?

"There is so much wrong with that question. First of all, marriage is a partnership, not a purchase. Secondly, I grew up on a farm, and I can tell you: cows are boring and stupid. That can be relaxing at times, but it's nothing I'd want to live with. I want so much more from a wife than just 'milk'..." - Clark, in a scene without context, from a fic that doesn't (yet?) exist

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
Columnist
Columnist
peep

I sort of cobbled my sig parameters from something Tank (I think it was) was doing on the boards at the time, as well as what one of the posters to one of my organist lists was also doing at the time. Thought they were both cute, and figured I could combine them into one. Polly always signed her posts 'from her ivory tower', so that's where I got the idea for the Rock. Then Tank was always signing his with a sig of him doing something or other. So I had me doing something or other in conjunction with my Rock. I do it on all my list posts now, as well as all my MBs posts, in all my fandoms, and I've sort of made a name for myself with it. Sometimes I'll delurk on one list, and someone will say 'Oh, I remember you from XXX list (sometimes a completely different fandom), because you're the girl under the Rock!)

Oh well...

Melisma (slinking back under her Rock to admire her first Kerth award smile )

peep

Do, or do not. There is no try.
- Yoda
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I always stick my name on the bottom of my post, its automatic. I also sometime put in a little comment after it. Usually it's so that whoever is reading the post gets a handle on my mood at the time - no body language online sometinmes makes it difficult to decide if some is joking/being serious etc, then sometimes I just feel like it! wink

I love sigs especially witty/funny ones (I'm so glad you've reinstated FARCE, Pam, I remembered seeing it on Zoom's boards and loved it! rotflol ), but I can never seem to think of really good ones myself! My sig at the moment it courtesy of a cool random quote generator on the Unix OS that I used last summer. I'm thinking of changing it, but not sure what to.

Loriel

"Inappropriate attachment" didn't begin to cover the depth of the feelings Vaughn had for Sydney Bristow.
~Ties That Bind by RJ Anderson~

I ramble at http://www.livejournal.com/~loriel_eris
A
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A
I first started signing my name followed by the kitty >^,,^< when my best friend sent me an email with it. It took me a minute to realize that was supposed to be a cat's face and I loved it from that moment on.

On emails, I use a different episode quote each day. I keep all the quotes I've collected so far on a Word document and just go down the page. One of these days, I really need to get quotes from the episodes I don't have yet.

On message boards, I just use quotes I've found in my copy of "Quotationary", other people's emails or calendars. The one I have now, "If a cat spoke, it would say things like, 'Hey, I don't see the problem here.'" --Roy Blount, Jr.
is from my current kitten calendar at work. It just sounds so much like my cats that I had to use it. Some of my other favorites are:

"Purranoia is the fear that your cats are plotting against you."

"On a cold winter's night, nothing beats a good book, a cup of hot chocolate, and a blanket of kittens."

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." --Charles Schultz

and

"We're always looking for new blood." --Declan McIntyre, Director of the Bram Stoker International Seminar School

laugh goofy laugh goofy laugh goofy laugh

Anne >^,,^<

"I only know how to make four things, and this is the only one without chocolate." Lois Lane "All My I've Got a Crush on You 10/24/1993
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
My sig is from an old tshirt that I had when I was 8... it was day-glo orange and had big black felt iron on lettering on it...it was my favorite shirt and I wore it until the lettering was so cracked that you could not make out the words anymore... :)I have been told that I could not have found a more perfect way to describe myself smile I have to agree...

Marns
~pobody's nerfect
Top Banana
Top Banana
I sign with my name, nothing weird about that. Tho you can see it with my avatar as well. Just an old habit, I guess.

And my sig? I used to have one from Joseph Pulitzer about the 'next generation of journalists.' I liked that, since I'm studying journalism. But I wanted to use something else now and I came up with the idea of using it as a promotion for the Alt Kerths. So I change it every week now, to keep it updated.

Then last week a few people on IRC pointed out that I had <gulp> typos in it! So I fixed it, while saying I was pointing out that my English isn't that good. wink They told me to be more obvious... so I use something in Dutch with it too. I know, most of you don't even get it because you don't speak the language. No big deal, it adds nothing, just fun for me.

But after the ceremony I need to get something again. So it will either be something journalistic or Dutch. And if I'm really lucky I can combine them.

Saskia (telling Wendy now (since I'm talking about Dutch) that my fdk comment was something as 'I don't like to wait' laugh )

I tawt I taw a puddy cat!

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard